Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?R28gVm9scyBHbw==?=

Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked
Hello

I have Windows Vista RC-1 and every time I start my computer, WD pops up
with an annoying balloon about it blocking a startup prog. When I click to
check, there is no program blocked, but it will say that all programs. are
permitted. Then when I close it, the same ballon pops up again. Its very
annoying, but I don't want to disable ballons, or WD. If you know how to help
me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks!
--
The 15 year old nerd and I'm proud of it. - Carter Crews
Visit my website and download the program I wrote at
MICHAEL

Re: Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked
Try this:

run gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components>
Windows Defender> Turn off Real-Time Protection Prompts for Unknown Detection

I'm not sure if that will get rid of those prompts, try it. I don't have
Windows Defender in real-time mode, just weekly scans. I trust NOD32
to catch the crap.

You can turn off real-time protection in WD's options.

-Michael

"Go Vols Go" <GoVolsGo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have Windows Vista RC-1 and every time I start my computer, WD pops up
> with an annoying balloon about it blocking a startup prog. When I click to
> check, there is no program blocked, but it will say that all programs. are
> permitted. Then when I close it, the same ballon pops up again. Its very
> annoying, but I don't want to disable ballons, or WD. If you know how to help
> me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!!!
>
> Thanks!
> --
> The 15 year old nerd and I'm proud of it. - Carter Crews
> Visit my website and download the program I wrote at
> http://www.geocities.com/spartan_software_us

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgV3JpZ2h0?=

RE: Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked
I had seen that in RC1 as well, I reported it to MS during the beta testing.
Now that I have Ultimate RTM, I have not seen the problem return. So I
believe the issue that you are seeing has been fixed. It's not any help for
ppl running RC1, but it's good for the final.
=?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=

RE: Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked
Could the real conflict souce be "not" compatible third party applications?

Have used Vista and Defender for a very long time and never experienced what
you describe.
--
Firewall

"Go Vols Go" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have Windows Vista RC-1 and every time I start my computer, WD pops up
> with an annoying balloon about it blocking a startup prog. When I click to
> check, there is no program blocked, but it will say that all programs. are
> permitted. Then when I close it, the same ballon pops up again. Its very
> annoying, but I don't want to disable ballons, or WD. If you know how to help
> me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!!!
>
> Thanks!
> --
> The 15 year old nerd and I'm proud of it. - Carter Crews
> Visit my website and download the program I wrote at
> http://www.geocities.com/spartan_software_us

=?Utf-8?B?R28gVm9scyBHbw==?=

RE: Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked
No this has happened ever since I installed Vista RC-1. I didn't see it in
Beta 2 though. As far as I know, only McAfee, and Halo were incompatable. I
have since installed a new version of McAfee and well, I use my Xbox for Halo
fix!