Destination folder access denied

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?SCBXYXluZSBIYXllcyBKcg==?=

Destination folder access denied
This seems to be a global issue that is not being
answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is the fix? Users cannot copy files from on pc to another. I have went
through all the security steps, disabled UA and searched Google for three
hours..
Hopefully Microsoft will provide the answer SOON
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Re: Destination folder access denied
"H Wayne Hayes Jr" <H Wayne Hayes Jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:41056DFC-E7C5-42F0-B1BD-26B041581253@microsoft.com...
> This seems to be a global issue that is not being
> answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> What is the fix? Users cannot copy files from on pc to another. I have
> went
> through all the security steps, disabled UA and searched Google for three
> hours..
> Hopefully Microsoft will provide the answer SOON

Depends on the folder you are copying to. Do you have permissions for the
folder?
Does the folder really exist? There are some 'folders' listed in Windows
Explorer that do not really exist, like Documents and Settings. They are
junctions that are there for compatibility reasons and you have to copy to
the real folder.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

=?Utf-8?B?SCBXYXluZSBIYXllcyBKcg==?=

Re: Destination folder access denied
Ok
I absolutely realize what a real folder is. This issue is not about virtual
or imaginry folders, I can for example create a folder test and try to copy
anything from another pc into that from the Vista workstation I get
destination folder access denied

thanks

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

> "H Wayne Hayes Jr" <H Wayne Hayes Jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:41056DFC-E7C5-42F0-B1BD-26B041581253@microsoft.com...
> > This seems to be a global issue that is not being
> > answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > What is the fix? Users cannot copy files from on pc to another. I have
> > went
> > through all the security steps, disabled UA and searched Google for three
> > hours..
> > Hopefully Microsoft will provide the answer SOON

> Depends on the folder you are copying to. Do you have permissions for the
> folder?
> Does the folder really exist? There are some 'folders' listed in Windows
> Explorer that do not really exist, like Documents and Settings. They are
> junctions that are there for compatibility reasons and you have to copy to
> the real folder.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Answer in newsgroup. Don't send mail.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Destination folder access denied

like Wayne, I am very aware of what "real" folders are. I am technically
very capable, and can build a pc from scratch, and load any OS you'd care to
name.

Any answer to this? I am copying a couple files from another computer on my
network. yes, the files exist. I am copying them to a folder on my local
drive. I get the 'denied' message on any and all folders.

any help would be appreciated.

Pete

"H Wayne Hayes Jr" wrote:

> Ok
> I absolutely realize what a real folder is. This issue is not about virtual
> or imaginry folders, I can for example create a folder test and try to copy
> anything from another pc into that from the Vista workstation I get
> destination folder access denied
>

> thanks
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:
>
> > "H Wayne Hayes Jr" <H Wayne Hayes Jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:41056DFC-E7C5-42F0-B1BD-26B041581253@microsoft.com...
> > > This seems to be a global issue that is not being
> > > answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > What is the fix? Users cannot copy files from on pc to another. I have
> > > went
> > > through all the security steps, disabled UA and searched Google for three
> > > hours..
> > > Hopefully Microsoft will provide the answer SOON

> > Depends on the folder you are copying to. Do you have permissions for the
> > folder?
> > Does the folder really exist? There are some 'folders' listed in Windows
> > Explorer that do not really exist, like Documents and Settings. They are
> > junctions that are there for compatibility reasons and you have to copy to
> > the real folder.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
> > Answer in newsgroup. Don't send mail.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Destination folder access denied
I've read in another thread somewhere that this issue was showing up when a
certain antivirus product was running... can't remember if it was the source
or the destination computer that was causing the problem.

Try disabling your antivirus solutions and see if that helps.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Destination folder access denied

Jimmy - Thanks. However, all I have running is Windows Defender.

Just to ensure that we are on the same page, here is the detailed issue.

1. From my Vista computer, I connect across to my own network two a XP
computer. I have full permissions to that computer. \
2. I browse to the location where the files are. (The files are present. I
can go to the XP machine and run them from there.)
3. On my Vista machine, in a separate file explorer window, I browse to the
local directory where I want to drop the new files.
4. I dragged the files from one explorer window to another.
5. I received the error.

I have tried with numerous directories, with the same result. However, if I
FTP to the XP machine, I can easily retrieve the files into any local Vista
directory that I choose.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> I've read in another thread somewhere that this issue was showing up when a
> certain antivirus product was running... can't remember if it was the source
> or the destination computer that was causing the problem.
>
> Try disabling your antivirus solutions and see if that helps.
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Destination folder access denied
Ok ...

Just to confirm - you received access denied when trying to drag to say your
desktop (where you can easily confirm that you can create a new file on that
desktop and have permission, but it still returns access denied).

Just out of curiosity, try dragging one of those restricted files to the
following folder:

%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\

And see if that works.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?Sm/Do28gRGF2aWQ=?=

Re: Destination folder access denied
I've tried that and no results. Access denied!

I've been searching for the solution for a long time and i've realised that
there's so many people with the same problem! No one had solved the issue!
I've just asking for a microsoft official position to this.

If someone find a solution to this, please tell us!!

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Ok ...
>
> Just to confirm - you received access denied when trying to drag to say your
> desktop (where you can easily confirm that you can create a new file on that
> desktop and have permission, but it still returns access denied).
>
> Just out of curiosity, try dragging one of those restricted files to the
> following folder:
>
> %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\
>
> And see if that works.
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

charlie

Re: Destination folder access denied
I am having the same issue as well.

XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. I have full rights to the files and folders on
both machines. When I copy a folder it is sucessfully created on the Vista
machine but the files will cause the "Destination Folder Access Denied"
dialog to pop.

If/when you have anymore suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

"charlie" <seedubya@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same issue as well.
>
> XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. I have full rights to the files and folders on
> both machines. When I copy a folder it is sucessfully created on the
> Vista machine but the files will cause the "Destination Folder Access
> Denied" dialog to pop.
>
> If/when you have anymore suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie
>

> "Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ok ...
>>
>> Just to confirm - you received access denied when trying to drag to say
>> your desktop (where you can easily confirm that you can create a new file
>> on that desktop and have permission, but it still returns access denied).
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, try dragging one of those restricted files to the
>> following folder:
>>
>> %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\
>>
>> And see if that works.
>>

>> --
>> - JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows Vista Support Faq
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Look at the permissions of the folder. If EVERYONE is listed remove it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com