I'm stuck, need help fast!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhZG93QW5kTWF4?=

I'm stuck, need help fast!
Hi... This never happened during the tests but now I'm sort of screwed. HELP!

I have two drives. One with Vista RTM, and the other with XP SP2. I flop
the cables to the drives depending upon which OS I need to use at the time
for testing etc.

Last night, I flopped the cables, booted to Vista RTM with nothing on it but
RTM and Office 12 Beta 2 TR. (The XP drive was now D).

vista had some security issue as it was booting, and decided that EVERY file
on the machine didn't have the correct security ID, so it replaced EVERY
file's security ID with "Default."

When I flopped the drive back to boot to XP, much to my surprise, Vista had
trashed it. It ran, but tons of stuff wouldn't work.

I flopped back, and wanted to use Vista to set all of the permissions back
to admin stuff. In My computer, it won't recognize the D drive (XP) although
it shows it there. It DID though go through it and change the permissions
but I still can't access the D Drive in Vista (Access Denied). When I
flopped back, XP was a little better but...

Somehow the Windows Installer got trashed, so I can uninstall anything, or
reinstall anything.

This has to be some security setting that Vista changed...

I nee to get Office 12 back on, even as the beta state, but the machien
won't validate. I had to remove IE7 caue it wasn't working at all, and now,
with IE 6, I can't jump to the IE from ANY link. I tried reinstalling IE7,
no joy.

Anyone have some suggestions here? Right now, I'm screwed and a full day
behind...
=?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgQnJ1c2g=?=

RE: I'm stuck, need help fast!
My suggestion is to manually back up any data you need from the afflicted
disk to a FAT32 or any other non-NTFS media (such as a CD), format the drive,
then re-install windows.

I don't believe there is a way to successfully recover your installation
from this situation.

- JB
mikeyhsd

Re: I'm stuck, need help fast!
do not know how to help you at this state of nightmare, but
when you get it straightened out. it would be highly advisable to TRULY multi-boot instead of swapping cable. it is possible you screwed something up by all the cable swapping.
install the xp first then install vista. multi -boot loaders will be created.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"ShadowAndMax" <ShadowAndMax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B39AF7C-8336-4DA1-8A9A-DA21B4F88EED@microsoft.com...
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

RE: I'm stuck, need help fast!
I'm probably too late on this but Erd Commander might well sort the mess out
for you, or at least allow you to baackup vital stuff to DVDs