Re: how can i find which files Vista has encrypted?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0IEhvZmZlciBbTVNGVF0=?=

Re: how can i find which files Vista has encrypted?
A possible reason that you are seeing the notification is that offline files
are being encrypted. If you (or your network) have configured the computer
to encrypt offline files, an EFS certificate and key will be automatically
created for you the first time that you go offline. This will cause the EFS
backup notification to occur. (Running "cipher /n /u" will show the encrypted
offline files listed under the CSC directory.)

Whatever the cause of the encryption, be sure to back up the certificate and
key to removable media so that you will have that to regain access to your
files if something goes wrong in future installations.

Thanks.
Pat

"Lawrence N" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, the /q for query still work in Vista.
> Unfortunately, this isn't the best tools/switch as it will list each and
> every folders and definitely not good for the entire c: drive. You will be
> overwhelm by the listing, :-)
>
> You can try cipher /N /U instead.
> It will check your entire drive and locate only encrypted files.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Lawrence N

> >I don't know if it will work with Vista. I'm on my XP pc right now. Try the
> >cipher command.
> >
> > cipher /s:c:\ /q > "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\encrypted.txt"
> >
> > This will list all the folders on C:\ and their encryption status in a
> > file called encryption.txt in My Documents.
> >
> > Let us know if it works in Vista.
> >
> > --
> > Kerry
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > www.vistahelp.ca
> >

> > casey chesnut wrote:
> >> i'm about to move from RC2 to RTM of Vista.
> >> a couple times during RC2, it has popped up a dialog asking if i want
> >> to backup my keys used for encryption.
> >> this was a bit of a surprise because i don't remember even turning
> >> encryption on ... i'm assuming its not on by default?
> >> anyway, i'd like to know how i can find out which files are being
> >> protected with encryption before i transfer to a new machine.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> casey

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBHYWxsYWdoZXI=?=

Re: how can i find which files Vista has encrypted?
I too have gotten a request to backup and have not encrypted anything. This
is verified using the "cipher /n /u" command. It showed no files. Yet, if I
look in Certificate Manager, there is indeed a cerificate for me for EFS. It
shows an expiration of 11/18/2106. I assume this means it was created on
11/18/2006.

I get this backup notice each time I log on. I will backup to get rid of
this message but am clueless why it just started coming up in the last 2-3
days.

I am using Vista Ultimate (x86) and installed on 11/2/2006.

I really would like to understand why this is happening.
--
John Gallagher