Virtualization Feature

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

Virtualization Feature
How long will the virtual store feature be around? Will it be removed or
disabled in a Service Pack or will it be around for a while?
--
Thanks,
Bill
Jimmy Brush

Re: Virtualization Feature
Hello,

Virtualization will not be around for a while. Its only purpose is to allow
legacy, pre-Vista applications to run inside of Windows Vista. I would
assume that the next release of Windows will remove this type of support for
those applications; however, I doubt that it will be removed in a service
pack.

Applications should not be developed that rely on virtualization in order to
function.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

Re: Virtualization Feature
Thanks Jimmy. I understand that apps should not rely on virtualization. I
was just inquiring in order to get some indication of urgency in changing our
current application.
--
Thanks,
Bill

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Virtualization will not be around for a while. Its only purpose is to allow
> legacy, pre-Vista applications to run inside of Windows Vista. I would
> assume that the next release of Windows will remove this type of support for
> those applications; however, I doubt that it will be removed in a service
> pack.
>
> Applications should not be developed that rely on virtualization in order to
> function.
>

> --
> - JB
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

roman modic

Re: Virtualization Feature
Hello!

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64EAB8A2-E9C8-4C40-88F1-A91C4B798A39@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> Virtualization will not be around for a while. Its only purpose is to allow legacy, pre-Vista applications to run inside of
> Windows Vista. I would assume that the next release of Windows will remove this type of support for those applications; however, I
> doubt that it will be removed in a service pack.
>
> Applications should not be developed that rely on virtualization in order to function.

Is file/registry virtualization available in 64-bit version of Windows Vista?
http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/je.../12/19/86.aspx
[quote]
This technology is intended to make deployments of Vista less dependent
on waiting for vendors to release new versions of their software that work
with LUA. It isn't designed to be used forever: in fact, Microsoft hopes todeprecate the virtualization feature in the next version
of Windows after Windows Vista. The thought is that by that time, vendors and customers should have applications that work correctly
in the low rights environment.

How can it be disabled?

Thanks, Roman

Jimmy Brush

Re: Virtualization Feature
> Thanks Jimmy. I understand that apps should not rely on virtualization.
> was just inquiring in order to get some indication of urgency in changing
> our
> current application.

I don't have any hard data to back me up, but I am "pretty sure" MS said
they were planning on removing virtualization for legacy Pre-Vista
application from the next version of Windows. I also believe they are
committed to releasing new versions of Windows every 3 years after Vista ...
but you know how that goes.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Virtualization Feature
> Is file/registry virtualization available in 64-bit version of Windows
> Vista?

Yes, application-compatability virtualization is available in 64-bit
windows; however, it only works on 32-bit programs. 64-bit programs cannot
be virtualized in this way.

> How can it be disabled?

- Click start
- Type: Local Security Policy
- Press enter
- Expand Local Policies in the left
- Click Security Options in the left
- In the right, find "User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry
write failures..."
- Double-click it
- Click Disabled
- Click OK

> Thanks, Roman

You're welcome

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

roman modic

Re: Virtualization Feature
Thanks for the answer.

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A2F18E5-6209-4289-86A8-B896CEF8828B@microsoft.com...

> Yes, application-compatability virtualization is available in 64-bit windows; however, it only works on 32-bit programs. 64-bit
> programs cannot be virtualized in this way.

BTW, my previous message was sent prematurely because
I accidentally pressed Ctrl-Enter (Is it possible to disable
it in Outlook Express). Here is the correct quote:

"File and Registry Virtualization – the good, the bad, and the ugly"
http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/je.../12/19/86.aspx
Quote:
This technology is intended to make deployments of Vista less dependent on
waiting for vendors to release new versions of their software that work with LUA.
It isn’t designed to be used forever: in fact, Microsoft hopes to deprecate the
virtualization feature in the next version of Windows after Windows Vista. The
thought is that by that time, vendors and customers should have applications
that work correctly in the low rights environment.
And here is another one:
"Vista's "Show Compatibility Files" and the Scrumptious Wonder that is File Virtualization"
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Vistas...alization.aspx
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see a UI with a link or button in the folder rather than in
the Toolbar. It is pretty important and blends in there.

The other really bad UI issue is that there's no way to get to the compatibility-based
Virtual Store from the common file open/save dialogs.

The same redirection CAN happen with apps that try to write to registry in
HKLM, so watch for that also if something "goes missing."

I can see how hard they're working to make Vista more secure while still maintaining
extensive backward compatibility. I haven't had any apps (other than one Java app)
bork under Vista yet, but things like this Virtual Store will be confusing until new minor
releases of apps with a modicum of Vista-awareness come out.

And one more link
http://crispybit.spaces.live.com/blo...3308!134.entry

Regards, Roman