Password reset required evey 2 weeks

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Dave

Password reset required evey 2 weeks
Hi.

I have a Windows Vista PC with 4 user accounts on it. All have full access
accounts but one of the accounts asks every 2 weeks to change there user
password to log on. Windows 2000 use to have a password policy to suppress
password changes. Any ideas as how to get Vista not to ask for a new
password? And why is it only happening on one of the accounts?

Help much appreciated.

Dave
brink

Re: Password reset required evey 2 weeks

Dave;544340 Wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a Windows Vista PC with 4 user accounts on it. All have full
> access
> accounts but one of the accounts asks every 2 weeks to change there
> user
> password to log on. Windows 2000 use to have a password policy to
> suppress
> password changes. Any ideas as how to get Vista not to ask for a new
> password? And why is it only happening on one of the accounts?
>
> Help much appreciated.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

This tutorial will show you how to stop or change the password
expiration in Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dave

Re: Password reset required evey 2 weeks
Hi Brink.

Just tried running lusrmgr.msc and it brought up the Local Users and Groups
window but it said that the snapin on Windows Vista Basic could not be used.
I tried it on WIndows Vista Premium amd got the same access not allowed.

Dave;545579 Wrote:
> Hi Brink.
>
> Just tried running lusrmgr.msc and it brought up the Local Users and
> Groups
> window but it said that the snapin on Windows Vista Basic could not be
> used.
> I tried it on WIndows Vista Premium amd got the same access not
> allowed.
>

> "brink" wrote:
> > > >
> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > This tutorial will show you how to stop or change the password
> > > expiration in Vista.
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > 'WWW.VISTAX64.COM' (http://WWW.VISTAX64.COM)

> > (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Dave,

I updated the tutorial. See if you access it from Option One in Method
Two.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html

If not, then open a elevated command prompt. (right click CMD and click
"Run as administrator") Type "net account /maxpwage:unlimited" (no
quotes) and press Enter. This should stop the password expiration for
you.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dave

Re: Password reset required evey 2 weeks
Hi Shawn

The solution for both Vista Home & Premium was the following you wrote
> If not, then open a elevated command prompt. (right click CMD and click
> "Run as administrator") Type "net account /maxpwage:unlimited" (no
> quotes) and press Enter. This should stop the password expiration for
> you.

For the less technically minded I'd put the screen shots on you web pages

I can't understand why MS dont have Local Policy groups etc available or at
the least show password expire in User Accounts profiles.

Many Thanks for you help!

Regards
Dave

"brink" wrote:

> Dave;545579 Wrote:
> > Hi Brink.
> >
> > Just tried running lusrmgr.msc and it brought up the Local Users and
> > Groups
> > window but it said that the snapin on Windows Vista Basic could not be
> > used.
> > I tried it on WIndows Vista Premium amd got the same access not
> > allowed.

> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html

> > > (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
> > > > > >

> Dave,
>
> I updated the tutorial. See if you access it from Option One in Method
> Two.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html
>
> If not, then open a elevated command prompt. (right click CMD and click
> "Run as administrator") Type "net account /maxpwage:unlimited" (no
> quotes) and press Enter. This should stop the password expiration for
> you.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

Michael Walraven

Re: Password reset required evey 2 weeks
Just a technicality, but shouldn't that be
net accounts .... (note the 's')
??
Michael
Vista Home premium

> Hi Shawn
>
> The solution for both Vista Home & Premium was the following you wrote
>> If not, then open a elevated command prompt. (right click CMD and click
>> "Run as administrator") Type "net account /maxpwage:unlimited" (no
>> quotes) and press Enter. This should stop the password expiration for
>> you.

> For the less technically minded I'd put the screen shots on you web pages
>
> I can't understand why MS dont have Local Policy groups etc available or
> at
> the least show password expire in User Accounts profiles.
>
> Many Thanks for you help!
>
> Regards
> Dave
>

> "brink" wrote:
>

>> Dave;545579 Wrote:
>> > Hi Brink.
>> >
>> > Just tried running lusrmgr.msc and it brought up the Local Users and
>> > Groups
>> > window but it said that the snapin on Windows Vista Basic could not be
>> > used.
>> > I tried it on WIndows Vista Premium amd got the same access not
>> > allowed.

>> Dave,
>>
>> I updated the tutorial. See if you access it from Option One in Method
>> Two.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/96...ion-vista.html
>>
>> If not, then open a elevated command prompt. (right click CMD and click
>> "Run as administrator") Type "net account /maxpwage:unlimited" (no
>> quotes) and press Enter. This should stop the password expiration for
>> you.
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

mjones97

Re: Password reset required evey 2 weeks
Thanks for the tutorial.
I don't understand why this info can't be readily found in the control panel.