Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Remigijus

Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall
I wonder which one is better?
Straight Talk

Re: Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:45:06 -0800, Remigijus
<Remigijus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I wonder which one is better?

Don't.
momo

Re: Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall
Norton firewall is bloated (as almost all norton security software
nowadays), I would not recommend it.
On the other hand, Windows firewall is not as bad as it is generally
depicted, but it lacks some possibilities (like an enhanced program activity
control, forwarding. etc...)

Try googling for firewalls and choose one that you'll find suitable for your
needs.
A few clues:
- Zonealarm (they have a nice free version),
- Outpost (it has a very friendly user interface and a huge users community
so you can get answers to your questions about it quickly),
- Comodo Firewall Pro (seems a little heavy to me, but definitely worth
trying. and it's free.)

"Remigijus" <Remigijus@discussions.microsoft.com> pĂ*še v diskusnĂ*m pĹ™Ă*spÄ›vku
>I wonder which one is better?

Kayman

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:45:06 -0800, Remigijus wrote:

> I wonder which one is better?

You are not going to find anything better than the Vista FW and Vista in
itself due to the advanced features the FW and Vista are using.

"Personal Firewalls" are mostly snake-oil.
http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html

Jesper's Blogs-
At Least This Snake Oil Is Free.
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...l-is-free.aspx

Windows Firewall: the best new security feature in Vista?
http://blogs.technet.com/jesper_joha...01/426921.aspx

Exploring The Windows Firewall.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...l/default.aspx
"If you try to block outbound connections from a computer that’s already
compromised, how can you be sure that the computer is really doing what you
ask? The answer: you can’t. Outbound protection is security theater—it’s a
gimmick that only gives the impression of improving your security without
doing anything that actually does improve your security. This is why
outbound protection didn’t exist in the Windows XP firewall and why it
doesn’t exist in the Windows Vista™ firewall."

Vista Firewall Control.
Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing
activity, controls applications internet access.
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/
--
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
(Benjamin Franklin)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:18:23 +0100, "momo" <momo@lumenstudio.net>
wrote:

>Norton firewall is bloated (as almost all norton security software
>nowadays), I would not recommend it.

So far we agree.

>On the other hand, Windows firewall is not as bad as it is generally
>depicted, but it lacks some possibilities (like an enhanced program activity
>control, forwarding. etc...)
>
>Try googling for firewalls and choose one that you'll find suitable for your
>needs.

I wonder what needs could actually be fulfilled by installing a PFW.

>A few clues:

>- Zonealarm (they have a nice free version),

which leaks like a sieve and makes your system more vulnerable.

>- Outpost

Which among others has critical technical designs flaws that allow for
shatter attacks. Heck. How can anyone trust a piece of software from a
vendor who demonstrates poor knowledge about the security system on
the very OS it is running on?

>- Comodo Firewall Pro

Which is a promotion tool specifically targetting leak tests in order
to gain popularity among the clueless.
Paul Smith

"Remigijus" <Remigijus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wonder which one is better?

The Windows Firewall is fine, it just quietly does its job and doesn't nag
you every 10 seconds about some imaginary threat like many other software
firewalls. I wouldn't install any Norton "security" software on my system.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

John Barnett MVP

Re: Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall
I use the Windows firewall on both my XP machine and Vista Machine. The only
thing I would do with Norton's is throw it in the bin.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Remigijus" <Remigijus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wonder which one is better?

Victek

Re: Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall

> I wonder which one is better?

As you can see no one is going to say anything nice about the Norton
Firewall <g>. I don't think it's a bad product, but there are others if you
want a firewall that monitors outbound connections and is easier to interact
with then the firewall built into Vista. Consider ZoneAlarm and PC Tools
Firewall PLus which are both freeware.

Kayman

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:49:23 -0800, Victek wrote:

>> I wonder which one is better?

> As you can see no one is going to say anything nice about the Norton
> Firewall <g>. I don't think it's a bad product, but there are others if you
> want a firewall that monitors outbound connections...

http://www.matousec.com/projects/win...ewalls-ratings
Scroll down to: Vendors' responses; Sunbelt Software - the vendor of
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall.

A realistic assessment with respect to 3rd party PFW from a respectable
software manufacturer 2007-08-07.

It's just a matter of time when others follow (but then again they may
stubbornly refuse giving up the mighty advertisement dollar).

Aside from Microsoft, Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation, Sunbelt
makers of Kerio PFW and quazillions of IT experts the list is growing;
We're gonna have a "I-told-you-so 'cum' egg-on-the-face party' pretty soon
and ya'll invited to join BB and KM are paying

Sunbelt Software - the vendor of Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall
Excerpts:

[quote]
....we have some reservations about personal firewall "leak testing" in
general. While we appreciate and support the unique value of independent
security testing, we are admittedly skeptical as to just how meaningful
these leak tests really are, especially as they reflect real-world
environments.

The key assumption of "leak testing" -- namely, that it is somehow useful
to measure the outbound protection provided by personal firewalls in cases
where malware has already executed on the test box -- strikes us as a
questionable basis on which to build a security assessment. Today's malware
is so malicious and cleverly designed that it is often safest to regard PCs
as so thoroughly compromised that nothing on the box can be trusted once
the malware executes. In short, "leak testing" starts after the game is
already lost, as the malware has already gotten past the inbound firewall
protection.

Moreover, "leak testing" is predicated on the further assumption that
personal firewalls should warn users about outbound connections even when
the involved code components are not demonstrably malicious or suspicious
(as is the case with the simulator programs used for "leak testing"). In
fact, this kind of program design risks pop-up fatigue in users,
effectively lowering the overall security of the system -- the reason
developers are increasingly shunning this design for security applications.
[unquote]

> ...and is easier to interact with then the firewall built into Vista.

PFW Criticism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona...all#Criticisms

> Consider ZoneAlarm and PC Tools Firewall PLus which are both freeware.

Why your firewall sucks.
http://tooleaky.zensoft.com/
"But I quickly realized the truth: The added protection provided by
outbound filtering is entirely illusory."
--
Security is a process not a product.
(Bruce Schneier)
Victek

Re: Wndows Firewall or Norton Firewall
> PFW Criticism.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona...all#Criticisms
>
>> Consider ZoneAlarm and PC Tools Firewall PLus which are both freeware.

> Why your firewall sucks.
> http://tooleaky.zensoft.com/
> "But I quickly realized the truth: The added protection provided by
> outbound filtering is entirely illusory."
> --
> Security is a process not a product.
> (Bruce Schneier)

It's probably true that software firewalls provide a false sense of security
for many people, but that can also be said of antivirus and antispyware
software as well. Only the user can create a secure environment through
self-education and diligence. For the uneducated user security software has
limited value, but for the educated user it can be very useful. A software
firewall reveals a lot of useful information about how the system is working
in real-time. You can learn a lot from it without having unrealistic
expectations that it's going to save the system if it becomes compromised.
It's just a tool with uses and limitations.