Please Help!!!! Vista Permissions very frustrating!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Rabmonk006

Please Help!!!! Vista Permissions very frustrating!

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this. hopefully someone
can help me out.. I've tried googling the answer and found many
different solutions - none of them have worked for me.
I have Vist Home Premium 32bit on my laptop which is only used by me.
I've had UAC disabled from the get go.

All Im trying to do is move one folder in c:\program files, to another
folder in c:\program files.I get this error when trying to drag and drop
the folder. "Destination folder access denied: You need permission to
perform this action."
These are all the things Ive tried so far.

First right clicked on the folder im trying to move and followed the
steps to claim ownership of the folder for Administrators
(Jennie-PC\Administrators), hit "replace owner on subcontainers and
objects"

Clicked the box for full control on all of these (dont know why there
are so many):
CREATOR OWNER - hit full control but it wont apply
SYSTEM - Full Control
Jennie (Jennie-PC\Jennie) - Full Control
Administrators(Jennie-PC\Administrators) - Full Control
Users (Jennie-PC\Users) - Full Control

went to permissions and changed every single entry to "This folder,
subfolders, and files"

Followed the exact same steps for the destination folder

Tried doing all of the above on the C:\ drive itself, it went through a
bunch of folders - came up with an error message on some of them

Tried doing all of the above on the C:\Program Files folder, and I get
this message

"Error Applying Security - An error occured while applying security
information to C:\Program Files. Access is denied."

this is really starting to drive me nuts, all just to move a folder!!!!
If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Rabmonk006
brink

Re: Please Help!!!! Vista Permissions very frustrating!

Rabmonk006;543008 Wrote:
> Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this. hopefully someone
> can help me out.. I've tried googling the answer and found many
> different solutions - none of them have worked for me.
> I have Vist Home Premium 32bit on my laptop which is only used by me.
> I've had UAC disabled from the get go.
>
> All Im trying to do is move one folder in c:\program files, to another
> folder in c:\program files.I get this error when trying to drag and drop
> the folder. "Destination folder access denied: You need permission to
> perform this action."
> These are all the things Ive tried so far.
>
> First right clicked on the folder im trying to move and followed the
> steps to claim ownership of the folder for Administrators
> (Jennie-PC\Administrators), hit "replace owner on subcontainers and
> objects"
>
> Clicked the box for full control on all of these (dont know why there
> are so many):
> CREATOR OWNER - hit full control but it wont apply
> SYSTEM - Full Control
> Jennie (Jennie-PC\Jennie) - Full Control
> Administrators(Jennie-PC\Administrators) - Full Control
> Users (Jennie-PC\Users) - Full Control
>
> went to permissions and changed every single entry to "This folder,
> subfolders, and files"
>
> Followed the exact same steps for the destination folder
>
> Tried doing all of the above on the C:\ drive itself, it went through a
> bunch of folders - came up with an error message on some of them
>
> Tried doing all of the above on the C:\Program Files folder, and I get
> this message
>
> "Error Applying Security - An error occured while applying security
> information to C:\Program Files. Access is denied."
>
> Then I followed the tutorial to enable the real administrator account,
> logged onto it, followed the tutorial to add take ownership to the
> context menu, took ownership of folder and destination folder. Still the
> same error message.
>

> this is really starting to drive me nuts, all just to move a folder!!!!
> If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi RabMonk006,

You may not have a take ownership problem. You will need to turn UAC
back on to do this. When you drag one folder from Program Files to
another folder in Program Files, you should have to click "Yes" and the
UAC "Continue" twice per action. I hope you did not mess up anything
when you took ownership of the whole boot drive with Vista on it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink