GPO Settings

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

mhossain

GPO Settings
I think Microsoft should add a specific GPO setting to allow standard users
to install application, Especially for Enterprise Version.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...sta.sec urity
Jesper

RE: GPO Settings
The ability for use GPO to deploy applications that standard users can
install has existed in Windows since Windows 2000.
---

"mhossain" wrote:

> I think Microsoft should add a specific GPO setting to allow standard users
> to install application, Especially for Enterprise Version.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...sta.sec urity

Jesper

RE: GPO Settings
The ability to use GPOs to deploy applications that standard users can

"mhossain" wrote:

> I think Microsoft should add a specific GPO setting to allow standard users
> to install application, Especially for Enterprise Version.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...sta.sec urity

mhossain

RE: GPO Settings
Thanks Jesper,

Well, I didn't have the book yet. However, I was looking online materials
and couldn't find any information that helps me. By the way that includes
Microsoft websites.

Jesper

RE: GPO Settings
There are lots of resources to do so. For example, here is how you can deploy
Office with GP:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402011033.aspx

Here is a more general article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102
---

"mhossain" wrote:

> Thanks Jesper,
>
> Well, I didn't have the book yet. However, I was looking online materials
> and couldn't find any information that helps me. By the way that includes
> Microsoft websites.

mhossain

RE: GPO Settings
Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the links. However, those dosen't explain what I want. Well,I
think I havn't made myself clear. Let me explain --

I need to create a Group and give them permission to install Applications
any time then want. It will be something like the PowerUsers Group that was
available with XP. I was looking for a GPO settings which will allow me to
give that permission to those users.

Just to mentaion that, those user will not have anyother Admin Privilages
other than Installation.

Now, you may question why we need this, well we support a large number of
user who has access to multiple of desktops and laptops and a good part of
them are Managers and Academics. Sometimes, when they are out of our range
they need to install applications. Hope that expains.

TA

"Jesper" wrote:

> There are lots of resources to do so. For example, here is how you can deploy
> Office with GP:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402011033.aspx
>
> Here is a more general article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "mhossain" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Jesper,
> >
> > Well, I didn't have the book yet. However, I was looking online materials
> > and couldn't find any information that helps me. By the way that includes
> > Microsoft websites.

Jesper

RE: GPO Settings
I probably did not make myself clear either.

You can't do what you want. To install applications you have to be an
administrator because installing applications is, no matter which way you
slice it, an act of modifying the operating system - an administrative act.
Thus, what you are asking for is, quite literally, to have your cake and eat
it too.

What you can do is publish applications to them using Group Policy. That
does not solve the distance problem though. That you have to figure out how
to solve with VPNs and the like. It would be nice to have a way to cache
installable applications on the client, but unfortunately, that does not
exist.
---

"mhossain" wrote:

> Hi Jesper,
>
> Thanks for the links. However, those dosen't explain what I want. Well,I
> think I havn't made myself clear. Let me explain --
>
> I need to create a Group and give them permission to install Applications
> any time then want. It will be something like the PowerUsers Group that was
> available with XP. I was looking for a GPO settings which will allow me to
> give that permission to those users.
>
> Just to mentaion that, those user will not have anyother Admin Privilages
> other than Installation.
>
> Now, you may question why we need this, well we support a large number of
> user who has access to multiple of desktops and laptops and a good part of
> them are Managers and Academics. Sometimes, when they are out of our range
> they need to install applications. Hope that expains.
>
> TA
>

> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > There are lots of resources to do so. For example, here is how you can deploy
> > Office with GP:
> > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402011033.aspx
> >
> > Here is a more general article:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102
> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >

> > "mhossain" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Jesper,
> > >
> > > Well, I didn't have the book yet. However, I was looking online materials
> > > and couldn't find any information that helps me. By the way that includes
> > > Microsoft websites.

mhossain

RE: GPO Settings
Thanks.