Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Bquinn

Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
12/11/2007

Long post, sorry.
Desktop computer with new clean install of Vista Ultimate about 15 Oct 2007.
Everything else works. Tried to open and to start to run Windows Defender
in order to scan my disks and got a message something like this:

Application failed to initialize : 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
program service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or
search Help and Support for how to start a service manually. Did the
restart, however IT DID NOT CORRECT THE START PROBLEM of Windefend. I went
to services to try to start it manually by right clicking on the WinDefend
and selecting start. The message received was:

Windows Defender could not be started.
System error 2 has occurred
The system can not find the file specified svchost.exe in the Windows
System32 folder.

I checked to insure that the file was in the system32 folder. It was.

Check Google and one fellow said that the command: 'net start windefend'
worked for him. I typed the command: 'net start windefend' and got the
following messages:

The Windefend service is starting and then
The Windefend service could not be started
A system error has occurred
System error 2 has occurred
The system cannot find the file specified

Went to the MS download site and downloaded new Defender program and tried
to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.

Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start windefend'
and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
stopped all services and got the same error.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Bill Quinn

Engel

RE: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
Hello Bquinn,

I quote dean – dean --a regular contributor here:

You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the
bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
--

"Bquinn" wrote:

> 12/11/2007
>
> Long post, sorry.
> Desktop computer with new clean install of Vista Ultimate about 15 Oct 2007.
> Everything else works. Tried to open and to start to run Windows Defender
> in order to scan my disks and got a message something like this:
>
> Application failed to initialize : 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
> program service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or
> search Help and Support for how to start a service manually. Did the
> restart, however IT DID NOT CORRECT THE START PROBLEM of Windefend. I went
> to services to try to start it manually by right clicking on the WinDefend
> and selecting start. The message received was:
>
> Windows Defender could not be started.
> System error 2 has occurred
> The system can not find the file specified svchost.exe in the Windows
> System32 folder.
>
> I checked to insure that the file was in the system32 folder. It was.
>
> Check Google and one fellow said that the command: 'net start windefend'
> worked for him. I typed the command: 'net start windefend' and got the
> following messages:
>
> The Windefend service is starting and then
> The Windefend service could not be started
> A system error has occurred
> System error 2 has occurred
> The system cannot find the file specified
>
> Went to the MS download site and downloaded new Defender program and tried
> to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
> when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
> because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
> Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.
>
> Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
> program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
> since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
> disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start windefend'
> and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
> other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
> Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
> stopped all services and got the same error.
>
> Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
>
> Bill Quinn

Bquinn

Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
Thank you Engel for your help. Did the uninstall of KB931 099 update as
outlined in your message, rebooted two times, and then ran the update
program which did reinstall the KB931 099 and KB915 579.

I still get those same error messages so the Defender is not fixed. Since
the computer is running OK with those problems maybe I should stop trying to
fix it --- or should I say live with it.

Again thanks for you help and interest.

Bill Quinn

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
>> when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
>> because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
>> Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.
>>
>> Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
>> program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
>> since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
>> disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start
>> windefend'
>> and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
>> other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
>> Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
>> stopped all services and got the same error.

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure about this--but it looks promising--

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935511/en-us>

Good luck

--

"Bquinn" wrote:

> [...]
> >> to install the program over the installed version. Received this message
> >> when starting the install - "You do not need to install this software
> >> because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access
> >> Windows Defender from the Security Section of the Control Panel.
> >>
> >> Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change a
> >> program, but Windows Defender was not listed. I guess it was not listed
> >> since it was included in the release of Vista. Went to msconfig and
> >> disabled all services and rebooted. Used the command 'net start
> >> windefend'
> >> and got the same system 2 error answer. Computer still operates with no
> >> other problems noted. I wonder if my security program "Avira Premium
> >> Security Suite" is blocking the Defender? It shouldn't be true since I
> >> stopped all services and got the same error.

kiwi

Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba

Hi Bill,
I know you posted a long while ago......but I have the same issues with
an OEM loaded Vista 64 on a laptop I purchased some 6 months ago.
Looking for a fix is driving me mad! Tried so many things.
Thinking of giving up on Windows Defender....unless u were able to find
a fix??

--
kiwi
Engel

RE: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
See here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...p=1&sloc=en-us

Event Viewer - Windows Vista features a unified event log so that a support
professional can view all the operational information about a machine from a
single Event Viewer.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FDE1C060-CF5F-4B62-B985-6BF494F42EF9&displaylang=en>

Windows Defender - Windows Defender works with Internet Explorer 7 to help
you make conscious choices about software installed on your PC by providing
always-on protection that monitors key system locations, watching for changes
that signal the presence of unwanted spyware.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c32ecf20-ea7c-489b-8d66-fde0606de2ad&DisplayLang=en>

Good luck
- -- ---

kiwi

RE: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
Thanks Engle,

Just trying sfc scannow to see what if any vista programs are faulty/corrupt.
If this does not help will try your suggestions

--
cheers, Kiwi

"Engel" wrote:

> See here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...p=1&sloc=en-us
>
> Event Viewer - Windows Vista features a unified event log so that a support
> professional can view all the operational information about a machine from a
> single Event Viewer.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FDE1C060-CF5F-4B62-B985-6BF494F42EF9&displaylang=en>
>

> Windows Defender - Windows Defender works with Internet Explorer 7 to help
> you make conscious choices about software installed on your PC by providing
> always-on protection that monitors key system locations, watching for changes
> that signal the presence of unwanted spyware.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c32ecf20-ea7c-489b-8d66-fde0606de2ad&DisplayLang=en>
>
> Good luck
> - -- ---

Robinb

Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
also you cannot uninstall Windows Defender in Vista
you can disable it by unchecking the resident shield
robin
"kiwi" <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Engle,
>
> Just trying sfc scannow to see what if any vista programs are
> faulty/corrupt.
> If this does not help will try your suggestions
>
> --
> cheers, Kiwi
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
>> See here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...p=1&sloc=en-us
>>
>> Event Viewer - Windows Vista features a unified event log so that a
>> support
>> professional can view all the operational information about a machine
>> from a
>> single Event Viewer.
>>
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FDE1C060-CF5F-4B62-B985-6BF494F42EF9&displaylang=en>
>>

>> Windows Defender - Windows Defender works with Internet Explorer 7 to
>> help
>> you make conscious choices about software installed on your PC by
>> providing
>> always-on protection that monitors key system locations, watching for
>> changes
>> that signal the presence of unwanted spyware.
>>
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c32ecf20-ea7c-489b-8d66-fde0606de2ad&DisplayLang=en>
>>
>> Good luck
>> - -- ---

romieb69 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
Hey guys I found a really crappy workaround for this. This is NOT a
fix, but I've tried a bunch of stuff suggested in this
and other various forums, done hours of research and
tinkering and this is the only solution I've found
that will get Windows Defender to fire up.

Go to Admin Tools, Services.

Locate the WD service (if it's not stopped, stop it).

Change it's startup type to Automatic.

Click the Log On Tab

Select Local System Account and check the box that
says Allow service to interact with desktop

Click the Recovery Tab and ensure that First and
Second failures are set to Restart the Service.

Click Apply

Go to the General Tab again

Click Start

Now go back to Ctrl Pannel and start up Windows
Defender ... should fire up. I checked for updates and
there were none.

Notes: I did a reboot and checked out the service.
It's stuck in a 'stopping' state and of course
WinDefend isn't working. I used the Task Manager
clicked the Services tab and found the service name
that was stuck in the stopping state (WinDefend). I
then right clicked it and chose go to process (make
sure you choose show processes from all users). That
took me to the svchost.exe instance that was hung up.
I ended the process. Now I disabled the service and
rebooted.
Once my reboot was complete I went back to the service
and put it in manual mode (leaving everything else I
changed earlier alone) Tried to start it but it
wouldn't start because no active processes needed the
service. At this point I went back to ctrl panel and
started windows defender. I got the dialog box
indicating it was off and clicked the link to turn it
on. It fired back up. Again checked for updates and
there were none.
So now I reboot leaving the service in manual mode.
I'm back to where I started. Same original error. The
service however is not stuck in a 'stopping' state.
It's just stopped. I was able to start it sucessfully.
and Windows Defender opened up normally when I fired
it back up. VERY VERY WEIRD
A final word on this pain in the a$$ error, I have not
been successful using the Automatic delayed start
option. I get an error indicating that the parameter
isn't correct. Go figure.
Ray

Re: Windows Defender error 0x800106ba
Thank you for this information