Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Donna Buenaventura

Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007

Microsoft released today the following security bulletins. Note: There may
be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep
refreshing

Critical:
MS07-064 - Vulnerabilities in DirectX Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(941568)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-064.mspx
MS07-068 - Vulnerabilities in DirectX Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(941568)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-068.mspx
MS07-069 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (942615)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-069.mspx

Important:

MS07-063 - Vulnerability in SMBv2 Could Allow Remote Code Execution (942624)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-063.mspx
MS07-065 - Vulnerability in Message Queuing Could Allow Remote Code
Execution (937894)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-065.mspx
MS07-066 - Vulnerability in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of
Privilege (943078)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-066.mspx
MS07-067 - Vulnerability in Macrovision Driver Could Allow Local Elevation
of Privilege (944653)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-067.mspx

Non-Security, High-Priority Updates on MU, WU, and WSUS

Microsoft has released four non-security, high-priority updates and 2007
Microsoft Office Service Pack 1 on Microsoft Update (MU) and Windows Server
Update Services (WSUS).

Microsoft has released four non-security, high-priority updates for Windows
and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 1 on Windows Update (WU)
and WSUS.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-dec.mspx
Security Bulletin for end-users:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ns/200712.mspx
MSRC Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

Support:
Call 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates. International users should go to
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Security Bulletin Webcast:
Microsoft will host a Webcast tomorrow. The webcast focuses on addressing
your questions and concerns about the security bulletins. Therefore, most of
the live webcast is aimed at giving you the opportunity to ask questions and
get answers from their security experts:
http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/We...CountryCode=US

Update sources:
Microsoft NEVER send security updates via e-mail. As always, download the
updates only from the vendors' website - visit Windows Update and Office
Update or Microsoft Update. You may also get the updates thru Automatic
Updates functionality in Windows.
Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the
Microsoft Download Center. For more information, please see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086
Note: Don't be a victim of spoofed emails. Read "How to tell whether a
security e-mail message is really from Microsoft" at
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...uine_mail.mspx

Recommendations:
Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product releases, security
updates, and service packs to remain as secure as possible. Older products,
such as Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, may not meet today's more demanding
security requirements. It may not be possible for Microsoft to provide
security updates for older products. More info at Microsoft Support
Lifecycle website: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

Tool:
Check your system for missing or misconfigured patches using Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx
For 3rd Party tools in scanning your computer for missing updates, hotfixes
or out-dated version, please see the list at
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index...howtopic=13587

Regards,
Donna Buenaventura
Windows Security MVP

Donna Buenaventura

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Known issues as per Microsoft:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-064: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
941568 documents the currently known issues that customers may experience
when they install this security update. The article also documents
recommended solutions for these issues.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941568

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-069 - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
942615 documents the currently known issues that customers may experience
when they install this security update. The article also documents
recommended solutions for these issues.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615

NOTE: If pages of KB article is not available, please try later.

"Donna Buenaventura" <dbuenaventura@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...uine_mail.mspx
>
> Recommendations:
> Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product releases,
> security updates, and service packs to remain as secure as possible. Older
> products, such as Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, may not meet today's more
> demanding security requirements. It may not be possible for Microsoft to
> provide security updates for older products. More info at Microsoft
> Support Lifecycle website: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
>
> Tool:
> Check your system for missing or misconfigured patches using Microsoft
> Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx
> For 3rd Party tools in scanning your computer for missing updates,
> hotfixes or out-dated version, please see the list at

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
You will Tom, you will. There's just nothing to show at the mowment.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:

> Donna: I see nothing on those pages regarding known issues.
>
> "Donna Buenaventura" <dbuenaventura@mvps.org> wrote in message
> : Known issues as per Microsoft:
> :
> : Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-064: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
> : 941568 documents the currently known issues that customers may experience
> : when they install this security update. The article also documents
> : recommended solutions for these issues.
> : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941568
> :
> : Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-069 - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
> : 942615 documents the currently known issues that customers may experience
> : when they install this security update. The article also documents
> : recommended solutions for these issues.
> : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615
> :
> : NOTE: If pages of KB article is not available, please try later.
> :

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Okay. Thanks, Steve.

Tom
"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
: You will Tom, you will. There's just nothing to show at the mowment.
:
:
: MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
: ===============
: *-343-* FDNY
: Never Forgotten
: ===============
:
:
:
: Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:
:
: > Donna: I see nothing on those pages regarding known issues.
: >
: > "Donna Buenaventura" <dbuenaventura@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > news:70E23C41-42A0-4D9C-9E9F-93B387947F08@microsoft.com...
: > : Known issues as per Microsoft:
: > :
[...]

PA Bear

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
More: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=30454 &ff
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Donna Buenaventura wrote:
> [...]
>
> Recommendations:
> Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product releases,
> security
> updates, and service packs to remain as secure as possible. Older
> products,
> such as Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, may not meet today's more demanding
> security requirements. It may not be possible for Microsoft to provide
> security updates for older products. More info at Microsoft Support
> Lifecycle website: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
>
> Tool:
> Check your system for missing or misconfigured patches using Microsoft
> Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx
> For 3rd Party tools in scanning your computer for missing updates,
> hotfixes
> or out-dated version, please see the list at

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Robear, you may wish to add the links to the article re Office 2007 -

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=936982
and/or

Kaylene

"PA Bear" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Recommendations:
> > Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product releases,
> > security
> > updates, and service packs to remain as secure as possible. Older
> > products,
> > such as Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, may not meet today's more demanding
> > security requirements. It may not be possible for Microsoft to provide
> > security updates for older products. More info at Microsoft Support
> > Lifecycle website: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
> >
> > Tool:
> > Check your system for missing or misconfigured patches using Microsoft
> > Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) -
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx
> > For 3rd Party tools in scanning your computer for missing updates,
> > hotfixes
> > or out-dated version, please see the list at

HEMI-Powered

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Donna Buenaventura added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

> [...]
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s_genuine_mail.
> mspx
>
> Recommendations:
> Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product
> releases, security updates, and service packs to remain as
> secure as possible. Older products, such as Microsoft Windows
> NT 4.0, may not meet today's more demanding security
> requirements. It may not be possible for Microsoft to provide
> security updates for older products. More info at Microsoft
> Support Lifecycle website:
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
>
> Tool:
> Check your system for missing or misconfigured patches using
> Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx
> For 3rd Party tools in scanning your computer for missing
> updates, hotfixes or out-dated version, please see the list at

Donna, what is your level of confidence on these updates? i.e.,
are they going to work for the vast majority of people or be
problematic for at least some percentage? I ask because I never
do the updates they day they are released by MS, preferring to
lurk for awhile in this and other MS peer-to-peer help NGs to see
what issues others may be having.

And, how does any customer or group of customers figure out if
the particular vulnerability even applies to them? If not, seems
like risking a problem for a fix that isn't needed.

Thanks.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II
Leonard Grey

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Non-issues as far as I am concerned. I rely on Microsoft Update to
present only those updates that my computer needs and I image my system
partition before installing. If any problems occur (which has not
happened to me in years) I would just restore my image and watch the
newsgroups for advice.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

HEMI-Powered wrote:
> [...]
>> http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index...howtopic=13587
>>
>> Regards,
>> Donna Buenaventura
>> Windows Security MVP
>>

> Donna, what is your level of confidence on these updates? i.e.,
> are they going to work for the vast majority of people or be
> problematic for at least some percentage? I ask because I never
> do the updates they day they are released by MS, preferring to
> lurk for awhile in this and other MS peer-to-peer help NGs to see
> what issues others may be having.
>
> And, how does any customer or group of customers figure out if
> the particular vulnerability even applies to them? If not, seems
> like risking a problem for a fix that isn't needed.
>
> Thanks.

Donna Buenaventura

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for December 2007
Hi,

I don't trust any updates because many things may or may not happen. It is
recommended to update soon especially if it's security-related and major bug
fixes that affects the user's application. Every PC including those from
vendors (e.g. Microsoft) has their own settings and other products that is
not the same to all users in the world so what might work to User A, B, C...
may not work to User X, Y, Z. Even if I don't trust any updates, I have to
install them to enjoy the fixes and improvements. I don't delay as I'm
confident I can go back in the good system state. Like Leonard, I rely on
backup and ensure that System Restore is functioning (not only running)
prior installation of big updates.
If I may add here the link to what I wrote last year: What to do before
"Patch Tuesday"? http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=9112
If anything is screwed, I'll just try System Restore. If no joy, I use the
full system backup.

Windows Update should only offer products that is applicable for your system
(windows and other components that WU can detect/install/offer). It should
not offer products that is not installed in your machine. Although, today..
it offered me some product updates that is nowhere to be found in my system:
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index...howtopic=16588.

A suggestion: Avoid using Automatic Updates but use the setting to notify
you on updates then review the offered updates. Set to ignore the products
that you don't need or don't want to install (except security updates).

Sometimes MS release some toolkit to block installation of Service Pack or
upgrade on major component in Windows.

Regards,
Donna