Removing file name Kontiki

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Stupendously Stumped?

Removing file name Kontiki
Please can anyone help me? I won't lie I was surfing some website I should
not have been surfing and now I have this program Kontiki/K Service in my
programs folder that I cannot delete. I looked into my security tab or
something like to find out that this program gave itself a special permission
in. I have tried many things to try and remove it from spy/adware sweepers
nothing picks it up to where I can get rid of it. I even tried to do a
system restore but all of a sudden my system only goes back as far as when
the program installed itself, so that option is out. I'm currently on Vista
and am wondering if I reload the Vista disc will that do the trick, please
lend some guidance?
jlee1951

Re: Removing file name Kontiki
Try looking at the info on web page identified below -

kontiki.exe - Here is the scoop on Kontiki Client as it pertains to computer
network security. The big question: what is kontiki.exe and is it spyware,
www.auditmypc.com/process/kontiki.asp

"Stupendously Stumped?" <Stupendously Stumped?@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:259F2842-FC1D-4E18-AABB-98992E6E24D4@microsoft.com...
> Please can anyone help me? I won't lie I was surfing some website I
> should
> not have been surfing and now I have this program Kontiki/K Service in my
> programs folder that I cannot delete. I looked into my security tab or
> something like to find out that this program gave itself a special
> permission
> in. I have tried many things to try and remove it from spy/adware
> sweepers
> nothing picks it up to where I can get rid of it. I even tried to do a
> system restore but all of a sudden my system only goes back as far as when
> the program installed itself, so that option is out. I'm currently on
> Vista
> and am wondering if I reload the Vista disc will that do the trick, please
> lend some guidance?

Stupendously Stumped?

Re: Removing file name Kontiki
Thank you for the info and website, it was helpful, but I would still like to
remove it, but can't due to permissions being block by it.

"jlee1951" wrote:

> Try looking at the info on web page identified below -
>
> kontiki.exe - Here is the scoop on Kontiki Client as it pertains to computer
> network security. The big question: what is kontiki.exe and is it spyware,
> www.auditmypc.com/process/kontiki.asp
>

> "Stupendously Stumped?" <Stupendously Stumped?@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:259F2842-FC1D-4E18-AABB-98992E6E24D4@microsoft.com...
> > Please can anyone help me? I won't lie I was surfing some website I
> > should
> > not have been surfing and now I have this program Kontiki/K Service in my
> > programs folder that I cannot delete. I looked into my security tab or
> > something like to find out that this program gave itself a special
> > permission
> > in. I have tried many things to try and remove it from spy/adware
> > sweepers
> > nothing picks it up to where I can get rid of it. I even tried to do a
> > system restore but all of a sudden my system only goes back as far as when
> > the program installed itself, so that option is out. I'm currently on
> > Vista
> > and am wondering if I reload the Vista disc will that do the trick, please
> > lend some guidance?

SillyDog

Re: Removing file name Kontiki

The way that I approached this problem (that I think is ok !) was to go
to ;
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
Then
Click Name column heading to order list by name
Look down the list for KService
Right-Click & Select Disable
ie - I did not try removing it I just turned it off as such.
Have had no problems since doing so.

--
SillyDog
FromTheRafters

"SillyDog" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> The way that I approached this problem (that I think is ok !) was to
> go
> to ;
> Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
> Then
> Click Name column heading to order list by name
> Look down the list for KService
> Right-Click & Select Disable
> ie - I did not try removing it I just turned it off as such.
> Have had no problems since doing so.

12-11-2007

Maybe Shawn is still monitoring this thread and will reply after all
this time.

I won't be holding my breath.

Brink

Re: Removing file name Kontiki

The thread's a bit old for the OP, but thank you for sharing your
results for the next person.

SillyDog;1229917 Wrote:
> The way that I approached this problem (that I think is ok !) was to go
> to ;
> Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
> Then
> Click Name column heading to order list by name
> Look down the list for KService
> Right-Click & Select Disable
> ie - I did not try removing it I just turned it off as such.
> Have had no problems since doing so.

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)