Win Vista, AOL 9.0 VR, and Trend Micro Antivirus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Paul Welch

Win Vista, AOL 9.0 VR, and Trend Micro Antivirus
My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY.
They loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded
AOL 9.0 VR for this Vista Windows system.

We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL.
We tried a separate Bellsouth connection and could not Update
with the connection either.

Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to reach
numerous Web sites okay.

On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
internet connection".

We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.

Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any suggestions.

Thanks
Paul
Victek

Re: Win Vista, AOL 9.0 VR, and Trend Micro Antivirus
> My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY.
> They loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded
> AOL 9.0 VR for this Vista Windows system.
>
> We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL.
> We tried a separate Bellsouth connection and could not Update
> with the connection either.
>
> Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to reach
> numerous Web sites okay.
>
> On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
> internet connection".
>
> We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
> Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.
>
> Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any suggestions.

Since you isolated out the connection it would seem to be an issue with the
Trend Micro application. Have you checked it's update settings? Often you
can configure how the update module connects. By default they usually use
the internet explorer connection settings which is a pretty safe bet, but
that can be changed.

Jonno

Victek wrote:
>> My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY.
>> They loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded
>> AOL 9.0 VR for this Vista Windows system.
>>
>> We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL.
>> We tried a separate Bellsouth connection and could not Update
>> with the connection either.
>>
>> Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to
>> reach numerous Web sites okay.
>>
>> On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
>> internet connection".
>>
>> We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
>> Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.
>>
>> Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any suggestions.
>>

> Since you isolated out the connection it would seem to be an issue with
> the Trend Micro application. Have you checked it's update settings?
> Often you can configure how the update module connects. By default they
> usually use the internet explorer connection settings which is a pretty
> safe bet, but that can be changed.

Try removing the program (Version 2008) and reinstalling it again. It
worked for me. TrendMicro are probably monitoring here to for a free
solution....
Their support is not great. You would think they would let people know
their strenghts and weaknesses by email to solve the problem! Nuh like
most software companies "You have the problem, we dont have any"....