Avast Uninstall Blues

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

hogtowner

Avast Uninstall Blues
I have tried to uninstall avast, using the control panel (seemed to work),
and then using the uninstall tool from avast (seemed to work). However, the
security screen in control panel still shows an avast antivirus running, or
reporting at any rate. I do not find anything running that could be avast,
when I use task manager to inspect processes.

How do I put this bad, bad, bad dog to sleep?
Malke

Re: Avast Uninstall Blues
hogtowner wrote:
> I have tried to uninstall avast, using the control panel (seemed to work),
> and then using the uninstall tool from avast (seemed to work). However, the
> security screen in control panel still shows an avast antivirus running, or
> reporting at any rate. I do not find anything running that could be avast,
> when I use task manager to inspect processes.
>
> How do I put this bad, bad, bad dog to sleep?

Since it sounds as though Avast is really gone, you just need to refresh
the Security Center's information.

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. At the command
prompt, type the following commands:

net stop winmgmt [enter]
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
ren repository repository.old [enter]
net start winmgmt [enter]

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
hogtowner

Re: Avast Uninstall Blues
Thanks Malke! That did the trick.

"Malke" wrote:

> hogtowner wrote:
> > I have tried to uninstall avast, using the control panel (seemed to work),
> > and then using the uninstall tool from avast (seemed to work). However, the
> > security screen in control panel still shows an avast antivirus running, or
> > reporting at any rate. I do not find anything running that could be avast,
> > when I use task manager to inspect processes.
> >
> > How do I put this bad, bad, bad dog to sleep?

> Since it sounds as though Avast is really gone, you just need to refresh
> the Security Center's information.
>
> Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. At the command
> prompt, type the following commands:
>
> net stop winmgmt [enter]
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
> ren repository repository.old [enter]
> net start winmgmt [enter]
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Avast Uninstall Blues
hogtowner wrote:
> Thanks Malke! That did the trick.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
basketballrusty

Re: Avast Uninstall Blues

"Malke" wrote:

> hogtowner wrote:
> > I have tried to uninstall avast, using the control panel (seemed to work),
> > and then using the uninstall tool from avast (seemed to work). However, the
> > security screen in control panel still shows an avast antivirus running, or
> > reporting at any rate. I do not find anything running that could be avast,
> > when I use task manager to inspect processes.
> >
> > How do I put this bad, bad, bad dog to sleep?

> Since it sounds as though Avast is really gone, you just need to refresh
> the Security Center's information.
>
> Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. At the command
> prompt, type the following commands:
>
> net stop winmgmt [enter]
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
> ren repository repository.old [enter]
> net start winmgmt [enter]
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

basketballrusty

Re: Avast Uninstall Blues

"Malke" wrote:

> hogtowner wrote:
> > I have tried to uninstall avast, using the control panel (seemed to work),
> > and then using the uninstall tool from avast (seemed to work). However, the
> > security screen in control panel still shows an avast antivirus running, or
> > reporting at any rate. I do not find anything running that could be avast,
> > when I use task manager to inspect processes.
> >
> > How do I put this bad, bad, bad dog to sleep?

> Since it sounds as though Avast is really gone, you just need to refresh
> the Security Center's information.
>
> Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. At the command
> prompt, type the following commands:
>
> net stop winmgmt [enter]
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
> ren repository repository.old [enter]
> net start winmgmt [enter]
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I am having the very same problem! I uninstalled (so I thought) the
pre-installed McAfee, installed avast....did not like it and uninstalled (so
I thought). I'm trying to follow your instructions, but when I type the 2nd
command, I'm told it's an invalid response. Anything else I might try?
Thanks so much.