Is McAfee the Antichrist?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Mikailis Mordaunt

Is McAfee the Antichrist?
Possibly.

I can't imagine any satanic force doing a better job crashing Vista at boot.
Even Vista pointed the finger at McAfee's realtime virus scanner. And give
me a refund? Hell--er, heck--they won't even answer their email.

I used MCPR.EXE to remove McAfee and went through the registry, yanking any
vreference to the Antichrist--er, McAfee. There appears to be no trace of
McAfee on the system, and yet Security Center, under Firewall, says McAfee's
firewall is ON. Under Malware Protection, it says McAfee's virus scanner is
ON. Trust me, unless McAfee has trojans running as system software, there is
no McAfee software running.

I used regedit to nuke and lingering references. Still Security Center says:
Antichrist--er, McAfee.

Any opinion?

Dave T.

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
Mikailis Mordaunt wrote:
> Possibly.
>
> I can't imagine any satanic force doing a better job crashing Vista at
> boot. Even Vista pointed the finger at McAfee's realtime virus
> scanner. And give me a refund? Hell--er, heck--they won't even answer
> their email.
>
> I used MCPR.EXE to remove McAfee and went through the registry,
> yanking any vreference to the Antichrist--er, McAfee. There appears to
> be no trace of McAfee on the system, and yet Security Center, under
> Firewall, says McAfee's firewall is ON. Under Malware Protection, it
> says McAfee's virus scanner is ON. Trust me, unless McAfee has trojans
> running as system software, there is no McAfee software running.
>
> I used regedit to nuke and lingering references. Still Security Center
> says: Antichrist--er, McAfee.
>
> Any opinion?

I removed NAV from my system 3 months ago, yet it still shows as
running. It's a Vista thing.

--
Dave T.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
Mikailis Mordaunt

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
There is a fix and "Malke," on or about 10/1, offered it on this newsgroup.
Let me give you Malke's fix, quoted verbatim from Malke's post. I did it and
IT WORKS. Security Center no longer reports the Presence of the
Antichrist--er, McAfee.

QUOTE
winmgmt /verifyrepository [enter]

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository [enter]

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands
to the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for
the services to shut down. Run the command again. You actually may
have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.
Reboot your system.

If the above doesn't work or you get "WMI repository is consistent", do
the following from an elevated cmd prompt:

net stop winmgmt [enter]
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
ren repository repository.old [enter]
net start winmgmt [enter]
UNQUOTE

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
news:RrH6j.52389$eY.45584@newssvr13.news.prodigy.n et...
> Mikailis Mordaunt wrote:
>> Possibly.
>>
>> I can't imagine any satanic force doing a better job crashing Vista at
>> boot. Even Vista pointed the finger at McAfee's realtime virus scanner.
>> And give me a refund? Hell--er, heck--they won't even answer their email.
>>
>> I used MCPR.EXE to remove McAfee and went through the registry, yanking
>> any vreference to the Antichrist--er, McAfee. There appears to be no
>> trace of McAfee on the system, and yet Security Center, under Firewall,
>> says McAfee's firewall is ON. Under Malware Protection, it says McAfee's
>> virus scanner is ON. Trust me, unless McAfee has trojans running as
>> system software, there is no McAfee software running.
>>
>> I used regedit to nuke and lingering references. Still Security Center
>> says: Antichrist--er, McAfee.
>>
>> Any opinion?

> I removed NAV from my system 3 months ago, yet it still shows as running.
> It's a Vista thing.
>
> --
> Dave T.
>
> Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
> Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Cyberhash

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
More than mcafee can be the antichrist on vista when your security centre
info get a little mucked up.

This will fix your problem and only display what's REALLY running on your
pc

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.

Then type the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent",

type this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it should fail:
" It will issue stop commands to the services causing it to fail. Just for
it to shutdown ". Run the command again. You actually may have to run it
couple
of times or more before it finally runs and completes on its own.

Restart your system.

"Mikailis Mordaunt" <spamoff@biteme.net> wrote in message
> Possibly.
>
> I can't imagine any satanic force doing a better job crashing Vista at
> boot. Even Vista pointed the finger at McAfee's realtime virus scanner.
> And give me a refund? Hell--er, heck--they won't even answer their email.
>
> I used MCPR.EXE to remove McAfee and went through the registry, yanking
> any vreference to the Antichrist--er, McAfee. There appears to be no trace
> of McAfee on the system, and yet Security Center, under Firewall, says
> McAfee's firewall is ON. Under Malware Protection, it says McAfee's virus
> scanner is ON. Trust me, unless McAfee has trojans running as system
> software, there is no McAfee software running.
>
> I used regedit to nuke and lingering references. Still Security Center
> says: Antichrist--er, McAfee.
>
> Any opinion?

Dave T.

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
Mikailis Mordaunt wrote:

> If the above doesn't work or you get "WMI repository is consistent", do
> the following from an elevated cmd prompt:
>
> net stop winmgmt [enter]
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
> ren repository repository.old [enter]
> net start winmgmt [enter]
> UNQUOTE

This did the trick 8-) . Thanks.
Dave T.
Milo \(MSPSS\)

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
Add to such information please proceed to this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962

Milo (MSPSS) wrote:
> Add to such information please proceed to this link
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962

Thanks, Milo.

--
Dave T.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
Dave T. wrote:
> Mikailis Mordaunt wrote:
>> Possibly.
>>
>> I can't imagine any satanic force doing a better job crashing Vista at
>> boot. Even Vista pointed the finger at McAfee's realtime virus
>> scanner. And give me a refund? Hell--er, heck--they won't even answer
>> their email.
>>
>> I used MCPR.EXE to remove McAfee and went through the registry,
>> yanking any vreference to the Antichrist--er, McAfee. There appears to
>> be no trace of McAfee on the system, and yet Security Center, under
>> Firewall, says McAfee's firewall is ON. Under Malware Protection, it
>> says McAfee's virus scanner is ON. Trust me, unless McAfee has trojans
>> running as system software, there is no McAfee software running.
>>
>> I used regedit to nuke and lingering references. Still Security Center
>> says: Antichrist--er, McAfee.
>>
>> Any opinion?

> I removed NAV from my system 3 months ago, yet it still shows as
> running. It's a Vista thing.

No. it's a Norton/Symantec thing. Check the Symantec site for
tools/procedures to manually remove their products.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Dave T.

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:
> Dave T. wrote:

>> I removed NAV from my system 3 months ago, yet it still shows as
>> running. It's a Vista thing.
>>

> No. it's a Norton/Symantec thing. Check the Symantec site for
> tools/procedures to manually remove their products.

When I removed NAV 3 months ago, I did so with the removal tool from
Symantec. Vista security said that it was still running until I forced a
refresh of the repository. Shouldn't Vista take care of that, or is
Norton to blame?
--
Dave T.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
Mikailis Mordaunt

Re: Is McAfee the Antichrist?
It's a repository thing. The fix is detailed in this group.