Internet security

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Krew

Internet security

Ok ..i just reformatted my harddrives to putthem in raid and also to do
a clean install of vista 64bit and i come to find out that mcafee is not
compatible with the 64bit version..

so heres the question..what internet security suite do you guys use and
what is the best in your oppinions?

--
Krew
Mr. Arnold

Re: Internet security

"Krew" <Krew.317q02@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Ok ..i just reformatted my harddrives to putthem in raid and also to do
> a clean install of vista 64bit and i come to find out that mcafee is not
> compatible with the 64bit version..
>
> so heres the question..what internet security suite do you guys use and
> what is the best in your oppinions?

A solution such a security suite is nothing but snake-oil. Eset's NOD32 has
a 64 bit AV version, the rest of the solutions such as Vista FW, IPsec that
is another packet filter that works in conjunction with Vista's FW Windows
Defender and even thing else is already there if you know how to use them.

<http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa940984.aspx>

<http://www.support4vista.com/tutorial/windows-firewall.htm>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb877967.aspx>
<http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm>
<http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/articles/ipsec.htm>

I have implemented the AnalogX rules on Vista. Between the Vista FW and
IPsec running with the Vista FW, it's rock solid protection.

This is running with the Vista FW, IPsec too.
<http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/WFP.mspx>

Charlie42

Re: Internet security
"Krew" <Krew.317q02@no-mx.forums.net> skrev i melding

> Ok ..i just reformatted my harddrives to putthem in raid and also to do
> a clean install of vista 64bit and i come to find out that mcafee is not
> compatible with the 64bit version..
>
> so heres the question..what internet security suite do you guys use and
> what is the best in your oppinions?

This topic has been discussed many times:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

Charlie42

Bruce Chambers

Re: Internet security
Krew wrote:
> Ok ..i just reformatted my harddrives to putthem in raid and also to do
> a clean install of vista 64bit and i come to find out that mcafee is not
> compatible with the 64bit version..
>
> so heres the question..what internet security suite do you guys use and
> what is the best in your oppinions?

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will responses.

I'll start by saying that I don't think any security "suite" is a
good choice. It'd be better to use smaller, less-resource-draining
stand-alone products. And, having had personal experience with
Verizon's business practices, I certainly wouldn't trust anything they
offer. Even if the product/service itself is fine, there'll be hidden
costs and "unadvertised" conditions and limitations associated with it.

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all without
any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that. But it's
been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee products. Their
quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they were acquired by
Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ). It proved
to be easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally,
I was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product. Another free (for personal use) anti-virus product is AVAST! 4
Home Edition (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html), which is what
I'm currently using without problems on Vista Business.

For a recent comparison of anti-virus products:

Retrospective / ProActive Test
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

As for a firewall, Vista's built-in solution is more than adequate
for most consumers' needs. While it's not quite up to the ease-of-use
standards of Kerio or ZoneAlarm, it has been improved over WinXP's version.

There are two interfaces for Vistas built-in firewall:

1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
one most people see. Sphinx's Vista Firewall Control
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/) is a piece of freeware that makes the
Vista Firewall much more useful to the average user.

2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
(WF.msc), accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder, for
the experienced user who wants more granular control.

If you prefer something a bit "chattier," Comodo Firewall Pro is free
for personal use.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Internet security
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 02:23:56 -0600, Krew <Krew.317q02@no-mx.forums.net>
wrote:

> Ok ..i just reformatted my harddrives to putthem in raid and also to do
> a clean install of vista 64bit and i come to find out that mcafee is not
> compatible with the 64bit version..

Consider yourself fortunate. Next to Norton, McAfee is probably the
worst security software available.

> so heres the question..what internet security suite do you guys use and
> what is the best in your oppinions?

I am almost never interested in software suites of any kind, whether
security, office, or anything else. I prefer to make my own choices of
which is the best product in each category, and not accept what any
particular vendor has cobbled together.

I recommend that you do the same.

I use the free ZoneAlarm firewall, the free Avast anti-virus program,
and a combination of the following free anti-spyware programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
Spyware Blaster
Windows Defender
Super Antispyware

Note that a single anti-spyware product--even the best one--is *not*
good enough. Note what Eric Howes, who has done extensive testing on
Anti-Spyware products, states:

"No single anti-spyware scanner removes everything. Even the
best-performing anti-spyware scanner in these tests missed fully one
quarter of the "critical" files and Registry entries" See
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Straight Talk

Re: Internet security
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:17:49 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote:

>I use the free ZoneAlarm firewall, the free Avast anti-virus program,
>and a combination of the following free anti-spyware programs:
>
>Spybot Search and Destroy
>Adaware
>Spyware Blaster
>Windows Defender
>Super Antispyware

Good luck. Go ahead bragging about being an MVP - you obviously don't
have a clue about computer security.

>Note that a single anti-spyware product--even the best one--is *not*
>good enough. Note what Eric Howes, who has done extensive testing on
>Anti-Spyware products, states:
>
>"No single anti-spyware scanner removes everything. Even the
>best-performing anti-spyware scanner in these tests missed fully one
>quarter of the "critical" files and Registry entries" See
>http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

Against modern malware, the very idea of "removal tools" is completely
flawed.

Remember "Joshua" from War Games? By playing tic-tac-toe it teaches
itself that there are games that are better not played.
Krew

Re: Internet security

yeah ive always had multiple anti spyware programs on my computer...i
was just pissed about he mcafee incompatibiltiy cause i really like the
choice cookie blocker they had

--
Krew