Windows Security Warning pop-up box when trying to run .exe file.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gary

Windows Security Warning pop-up box when trying to run .exe file.
I have had several instances when trying to run a .exe file I had emailed
myself and getting a pop-up Windows Security Warning. There is no option to
run program. All time the exe was inside a .zip file. I can not even
extract it to the HDD without getting the same message. How do I get around
this?

Thanks,
Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows Security Warning pop-up box when trying to run .exe file.
Have you right clicked on the downloaded file (or zip folder) and selected
Properties to see if there is an "Unblock" button on the General tab?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had several instances when trying to run a .exe file I had emailed
> myself and getting a pop-up Windows Security Warning. There is no option to
> run program. All time the exe was inside a .zip file. I can not even
> extract it to the HDD without getting the same message. How do I get around
> this?
>
> Thanks,

Dale

RE: Windows Security Warning pop-up box when trying to run .exe file.
When you download a file from the Internet, IE tags that file with an
alternate data stream. This is a hidden attachment to the file that always
tells Windows that the file's source was the Internet. The Alternate Data
Streams are added to each executable file contained in a zip file during the
extraction process if the file is extracted using the Compressed Folders APIs
in Windows. There are many tools you can download to show and remove
alternate data streams (ADS) - just Google it. (notice no one ever says
"Live Search it"?)

My favorite way to get rid of them, though, is to keep a small FAT32
partition on each of my PCs. All you have to do is either download to the
FAT32 partition or copy the file to the FAT32 partition and then back to your
NTFS preferred location. FAT32 doesn't support ADS so just passing the file
through a FAT32 partition eliminates the prompt forever.

Windows Explorer also supports eliminating the prompt. In the file
properties, general tab, you can click the Unblock tab. I haven't tested to
see if this actually removes the ADS or not.

A third way to get rid of the prompt, and again, I haven't tested to see if
it removes the ADS, is to uncheck the box labeled "Always ask before opening
this file" in the security warning popup your original post referred to.

Hope this helps,

Dale