How to set up a password for people to enter to use my wirelessnet

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Diana C.

How to set up a password for people to enter to use my wirelessnet
Hi I was wondering if someone can help me and tell me how I can set a
password up for people that live around me to have to know in order to use my
wireless network? I have a Emachine PC with windows XP that my cable modem
and router is connected to, and a Toshiba laptop with windows vista that I
use as my main computer on the wireless network. Thanks

Diana C.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: How to set up a password for people to enter to use my wirelessnet
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:14:04 -0800, Diana C. <Diana
C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi I was wondering if someone can help me and tell me how I can set a
> password up for people that live around me to have to know in order to use my
> wireless network? I have a Emachine PC with windows XP that my cable modem
> and router is connected to, and a Toshiba laptop with windows vista that I
> use as my main computer on the wireless network. Thanks

This is not really a Windows question. It's done in your router, and
how to do it depends on what router you have. The instructions should
tell you how. Failing that, try the router manufacturer's web site.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Charlie42

Re: How to set up a password for people to enter to use my wirelessnet
"Diana C." <Diana C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi I was wondering if someone can help me and tell me how I can set a
> password up for people that live around me to have to know in order to use
> my
> wireless network? I have a Emachine PC with windows XP that my cable modem
> and router is connected to, and a Toshiba laptop with windows vista that I
> use as my main computer on the wireless network. Thanks

It's hard to give anything but general advice without knowing the make and
manufacturer of your wireless router. But then again, manufacturer specific
questions are better directed to the manufacturer's support site.

WiFi routers can usually be accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 in a browser URL
box, but some differ or even require it's own software to be installed on
your computer.

If you can log on to your router, you should find a menu called something
like Wireless alternatives, Security/Encryption alternatives. Follow these
WiFi security recommendations when setting it up:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...034681033.mspx

Select WPA2-PSK or WPA-PSK encryption if possible, then you can use both
letters, numbers and special characters in your passphrase. Here's some
sound advice on how to make a strong password:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...rd/create.mspx

It's also important to change the default admin name and log in password on
the router to something only you know. You don't want anyone with access to
the network also to have access to the router settings.

Last, but not least: Most WiFi routers have fairly decent built in firewalls
nowadays. Enable yours.

Charlie42