UAC - changing a program so it doesnt elevate

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

quietshade

UAC - changing a program so it doesnt elevate
I originally installed a game to c/program files, using the admin account,
and it requires all users to allow it to run with the admin password. This
totally defeats the system security - all users must know admin password. I
moved the files to c\users\public\pubapps (which i created), made pubapps
shared to all, made pubapps owner 'everyone', gave 'everyone' permission to
do everything, changed all data in registry that still referenced the
original program files location to the new location. It still requires the
admin password. So I changed the file location to a single user,
c\user\oneuser\gamefiles, changed all the files owner to oneuser, made sure
all the registry stuff was redirected again, and made sure all permissions
were valid etc. etc. I absolutly cannot find out why it keeps wanting to run
elevated. In the games online forums is where i found the info tomove the
files out of program files locale, they say it should work - it is not. What
else can I do, except turn off UAC, which i dont want to do. The game is City
of Heroes, by ncsoft. When the game starts, an updater starts first. I've
looked for a file it may change on startup in the hidden appdata files for
the admin account, thinking that it may require the admin password because it
is trying to write to a hidden file there, but cannot find such.....Any
suggestion? Turning off UAC or uninstalling/reinstalling is lame, this
problem should be fixable.
BurrWalnut

RE: UAC - changing a program so it doesnt elevate
You don’t have to turn UAC off, you can stop the prompt without UAC losing
its security strengths, in Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium go to the
Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.

Or read this
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-now-what.aspx

For other flavours of Vista, go to Control Panel > Administration Tools >
Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options, scroll down to
‘User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in
Admin Approval Mode‘, double-click it and set the drop-down menu to ‘Elevate
without prompting’.

"quietshade" wrote:

> I originally installed a game to c/program files, using the admin account,
> and it requires all users to allow it to run with the admin password. This
> totally defeats the system security - all users must know admin password. I
> moved the files to c\users\public\pubapps (which i created), made pubapps
> shared to all, made pubapps owner 'everyone', gave 'everyone' permission to
> do everything, changed all data in registry that still referenced the
> original program files location to the new location. It still requires the
> admin password. So I changed the file location to a single user,
> c\user\oneuser\gamefiles, changed all the files owner to oneuser, made sure
> all the registry stuff was redirected again, and made sure all permissions
> were valid etc. etc. I absolutly cannot find out why it keeps wanting to run
> elevated. In the games online forums is where i found the info tomove the
> files out of program files locale, they say it should work - it is not. What
> else can I do, except turn off UAC, which i dont want to do. The game is City
> of Heroes, by ncsoft. When the game starts, an updater starts first. I've
> looked for a file it may change on startup in the hidden appdata files for
> the admin account, thinking that it may require the admin password because it
> is trying to write to a hidden file there, but cannot find such.....Any
> suggestion? Turning off UAC or uninstalling/reinstalling is lame, this
> problem should be fixable.

quietshade

RE: UAC - changing a program so it doesnt elevate
True enough, but the game can start IE, and silently elevating it to admin is
not much better than disabling UAC altogether. I'd like to find out why it is
elevating, is there a way to moniter it's behavior when starting to see why
the system wants to elevate it to admin? Running a game in admin is not real
secure, especially when it can launch webpages and open the whole system up
to threats.