NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

johnstonkw

NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan
I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the C:\windows\winsxs
folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a Microsoft
error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and another
Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get Norton
360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
that computer savvy.
Peter Foldes

Re: NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan

John

The best advice that I can give you is not to install Norton product(s) They cause more headaches and issues than they are worth, Norton is not very compatible with Windows systems.

--
Peter

"johnstonkw" <johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AADF081E-8733-418A-BBA4-398425E792B0@microsoft.com...
>I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
> program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
> getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the C:\windows\winsxs
> folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a Microsoft
> error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and another
> Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
> thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
> delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
> someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get Norton
> 360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
> that computer savvy.

johnstonkw

Re: NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan
Thanks Peter,

I have been using Norton products for years and have never had any problems.
Since I already paid for Norton 360 I would like to find a solution, though.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> John
>

> The best advice that I can give you is not to install Norton product(s) They cause more headaches and issues than they are worth, Norton is not very compatible with Windows systems.
>
> --
> Peter

> "johnstonkw" <johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AADF081E-8733-418A-BBA4-398425E792B0@microsoft.com...
> >I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
> > program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
> > getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the C:\windows\winsxs
> > folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a Microsoft
> > error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and another
> > Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
> > thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
> > delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
> > someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get Norton
> > 360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
> > that computer savvy.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:58:06 -0800, johnstonkw
<johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks Peter,
>
> I have been using Norton products for years and have never had any problems.

If I may throw in my 2 cents worth:

I used to say the same thing. I used their products for years without
a problem, and liked them. I too pooh-poohed the advice of others who
told me it would bite me one day.

Then it bit me one day, severely. Since then, I've seen many more
problems on lots of other machines. My view is now that I would never
have any Symantec products on any of my machines.

The thing about Symantec products is not that they always cause
problems, but that they are vulnerable to problems. So, many people
get away with using them, sometimes for years, without a problem. But
when problems start, they can be severe and are often very difficult
to fix.

> Since I already paid for Norton 360 I would like to find a solution, though.
>
> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>

> > John
> >

> > The best advice that I can give you is not to install Norton product(s) They cause more headaches and issues than they are worth, Norton is not very compatible with Windows systems.
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> >
> > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
> >
> > "johnstonkw" <johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AADF081E-8733-418A-BBA4-398425E792B0@microsoft.com...
> > >I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
> > > program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
> > > getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the C:\windows\winsxs
> > > folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a Microsoft
> > > error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and another
> > > Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
> > > thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
> > > delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
> > > someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get Norton
> > > 360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
> > > that computer savvy.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Kayman

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:17:00 -0800, johnstonkw wrote:

> I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
> program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
> getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the C:\windows\winsxs
> folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a Microsoft
> error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and another
> Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
> thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
> delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
> someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get Norton
> 360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
> that computer savvy.

The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
using Norton's own uninstall tool
and get a refund
As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
proceeding.
Or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
--
Never take life seriously; Nobody gets out alive anyway
CB

"johnstonkw" wrote:

> Thanks Peter,
>
> I have been using Norton products for years and have never had any problems.
> Since I already paid for Norton 360 I would like to find a solution, though.
>
>Johnstonkw,

You have been using Norton products for years and have never had any
problems. Congratulations.
You have been given very good advice. I suggest you follow it. I would
also suggest that you read again the reply from Ken Blake, which sums up the
situation nicely. I would also call Norton and tell them you want a refund of
your subscription fee.
You have learned and acknowledged that Norton/Symantec customer support
and technical support are of "bottom of the barrel" quality yet you wish to
continue to use their product. Why? I don't understand your reasoning. A
product is no better than the support behind it. I used Norton security
products for awhile until I simply couldn't handle the aggravations and
frustrations caused by their products. Same with McAfee, ZoneAlarm and
Webroot. Their support staff know nothing more than what is in the manual
they are reading from when they "answer" your questions. Their standard
answer is to "reinstall" their software or "reinstall" your OS.
My suggestion is to walk away from Norton and don't look back, whether
you do or do not get your money back. There are many security applications
you can choose from. They are much, much better than Norton's products and
use a lot less of your system resources. They also cost less or are free. I
have determined that, in my case at least, the best AV application is NOD 32
and the best firewall is COMODO. For spyware control I would suggest
CounterSpy and AVG Anti-Spyware. The AVG Anti-Spyware comes in a free version
also, although less functional than the paid version. I quit using Spybot S&D
and AdAware a long time ago as they have become mediocre applications. AVG
also has a free AV application, as does AVAST.
Have a nice day. I hope you solve your problems.

C.B.

peter c.a.hawkins

Re: NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan

As im a uk resident here`s my 2 pence worth.(Ken)
On my shelf is a packet containing norton 360 and a packet containing nis2008.
i upgraded from nis2007 to norton360 as nis was non compatible with vista.
norton 360 played havoc with my system,it is so full of bloatware and bugs
it defies logic.The back-up facility screwed my files up completely and i
eventually had to re-install vista due solely to norton 360.
Ok i thought i would try nis2008,my advice...do not....it worked well for 40
days then day by day small flaws appeared and then liveupdate would be
staring you in the face each morning stating that a reboot is required to
update files....so you look down to the task bar and you realise no
protection ...a big red cross...so all night there has been no protection yet
the computer is still on.
I have used norton/symantec products for years and i can honestly say the
current crop is not vista compatible,norton360 is by far the worse product on
the security market.
Im now using eset smart security and wow the difference has to be tried to
be believed.
So,my advice to you....Ditch norton and get something reliable/
"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:58:06 -0800, johnstonkw
> <johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Peter,
> >
> > I have been using Norton products for years and have never had any problems.

> If I may throw in my 2 cents worth:
>
> I used to say the same thing. I used their products for years without
> a problem, and liked them. I too pooh-poohed the advice of others who
> told me it would bite me one day.
>
> Then it bit me one day, severely. Since then, I've seen many more
> problems on lots of other machines. My view is now that I would never
> have any Symantec products on any of my machines.
>
> The thing about Symantec products is not that they always cause
> problems, but that they are vulnerable to problems. So, many people
> get away with using them, sometimes for years, without a problem. But
> when problems start, they can be severe and are often very difficult
> to fix.
>

> > Since I already paid for Norton 360 I would like to find a solution, though.
> >
> > "Peter Foldes" wrote:
> >

> > > John
> > >

> > > The best advice that I can give you is not to install Norton product(s) They cause more headaches and issues than they are worth, Norton is not very compatible with Windows systems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Peter
> > >
> > > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> > > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Mikailis Mordaunt

Re: NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan
The short course is: NUKE YOUR NORTON PRODUCTS.

Ghost 12.0 is halfway-house for rogue addresses.

"johnstonkw" <johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
> program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
> getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the
> C:\windows\winsxs
> folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a
> Microsoft
> error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and
> another
> Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
> thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
> delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
> someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get
> Norton
> 360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
> that computer savvy.

Barb

RE: NORTON 360 will not complete (freezes) installation scan
I had very similar problems with Norton and was advised to change to another
security system, which I have done and havnt had any problems since then. no
more freezing good luck

"johnstonkw" wrote:

> I upgrade to Norton 360 after the free trial expired on my new laptop. The
> program downloads and installs but when the configuration begins 360 keeps
> getting "stuck" on the initial quick scan, usually on the C:\windows\winsxs
> folder (I do not know what this is and I cannot delete it). I get a Microsoft
> error that says "Symantec Services Framework" has stopped working and another
> Norton error that tells me to restart. After the restart it does the same
> thing, never ending. Symantec has been of no help besides telling me to
> delete things and reinstall, which I have done several times already. Can
> someone please help me. I also did a clean boot and then I can't get Norton
> 360 to start at all. If you have a fix please walk me through it. I am not
> that computer savvy.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:58:06 -0800, johnstonkw
> <johnstonkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Peter,
>>
>> I have been using Norton products for years and have never had any problems.

> If I may throw in my 2 cents worth:
>
> I used to say the same thing. I used their products for years without
> a problem, and liked them. I too pooh-poohed the advice of others who
> told me it would bite me one day.
>
> Then it bit me one day, severely. Since then, I've seen many more
> problems on lots of other machines. My view is now that I would never
> have any Symantec products on any of my machines.
>
> The thing about Symantec products is not that they always cause
> problems, but that they are vulnerable to problems. So, many people
> get away with using them, sometimes for years, without a problem. But
> when problems start, they can be severe and are often very difficult
> to fix.
>

>> Since I already paid for Norton 360 I would like to find a solution, though.
>>
>> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>>
>>> John
>>>

>>> The best advice that I can give you is not to install Norton product(s) They cause more headaches and issues than they are worth, Norton is not very compatible with Windows systems.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

That's been my experience, also. I used NAV (home and corporate
editions) for years. It became clear over the past few years that it was
getting bloated and taking more and more resources. By the time we
dumped SAV CE from our network, the automatic scans on workstations
basically rendered the machines unusable until it was completed.
Upgrading to point releases was becoming a nightmare.

I tossed NAV off my personal machine when an "upgrade completely tanked
my machine and I had to rebuild it from scratch. We don't have enough
space here to detail why we dumped SAVCE from our network.

I'm starting to hear good things about the latest Norton/Symantec AV
(not 360), but it will take a long time for Symantec to build back my
confidence in their software. BTW, I continue to hear/see horror stories
about SAVCE....

I still use Ghost on our network. It works as advertised and I actually
prefer it to Acronis.....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold