Windows Defender vs Live One Care

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Licmy

Windows Defender vs Live One Care
Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows Defender.
--
Dave
T&V Seitz

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
I have been running ONLY Defender, Avast Antivirus (free home version) , and
the Windows firewall for approximately 3 years. We spend hours a day on the
internet and have an internally protected wireless network set up.

To date we have had no virus or other intrusions that the above
configuration has not caught!

"Licmy" <Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows
> Defender.
> --
> Dave

Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
Windows Defender is NOT an anti-virus program (it is an anti-spyware program).
You also have Windows Firewall, but you DO need an anti-virus program (Avast and
AVG are free anti-virus programs).

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Licmy" <Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows
> Defender.
> --
> Dave

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:31:07 -0800, Licmy
<Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows Defender.

Is that all you have?

You need three kinds of software for protection:

1. An anti-virus program

2. Two or more anti-spyware programs

3. A firewall program.

Windows Defender is an anti-spyware program. You still need software
of the other two types, and you should also run at least one other
anti-spyware program. A single one is not good enough.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Tooloose LaBlech

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
As others have said, you need more. Let me chime in with my recent
experience in this area.

I purchased a Toshiba laptop with McAfee Internet Security Suite pre-loaded.
It appeared to operate well,
so I upgraded to a 1-year license. Big mistake. Shortly after I upgraded
(doncha know), Vista HP started
blue-screening at startup. Recently, Vista's post-debacle self-appraisal
identified McAfee's realtime Virus
Scanner as the culprit. There is no known fix for this from McAfee. When I
went to McAfee's site to obtain
support, the site attempted to install some 3rd-party chat client which made
a lot of noise and did NOTHING.
No client, no changes, no nothing. I know what to expect; I have used
Symantec's chat client repeatedly to good
effect (although I wouldn't recommend Ghost 12.0 to my worst enemy).

Today, I yanked McAfee. I am currently appraising the Bitdefender 2008
Internet Security Suite 30-day free trial. So far I've noticed this: Vista
boots A LOT FASTER with BitDefender than with McAfee and BitDefender's
post-virus-scan log is a lot more detailed.

Black humor sidebar: I can just imagine McAfee tripping Vista into a blue
screen as it stands in the way trying to scan various Vista modules as
they're being loaded.

What a joke. Do the research. McAfee's FORMER clients are about two bits
short of a class-action lawsuit.

"Licmy" <Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows
> Defender.
> --
> Dave

Sparks

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
I've used McAfee with Vista from day one. I have never had any problem what
so ever, I think you are experiencing a hardware configuration issue. After
all, any giving software program can't be expected to work 100% with all the
possible computer configurations that are out there in the world, you know
what I mean.

=======================

"Tooloose LaBlech" <yearight@biteme.net> wrote in message
> As others have said, you need more. Let me chime in with my recent
> experience in this area.
>
> I purchased a Toshiba laptop with McAfee Internet Security Suite
> pre-loaded. It appeared to operate well,
> so I upgraded to a 1-year license. Big mistake. Shortly after I upgraded
> (doncha know), Vista HP started
> blue-screening at startup. Recently, Vista's post-debacle self-appraisal
> identified McAfee's realtime Virus
> Scanner as the culprit. There is no known fix for this from McAfee. When I
> went to McAfee's site to obtain
> support, the site attempted to install some 3rd-party chat client which
> made a lot of noise and did NOTHING.
> No client, no changes, no nothing. I know what to expect; I have used
> Symantec's chat client repeatedly to good
> effect (although I wouldn't recommend Ghost 12.0 to my worst enemy).
>
> Today, I yanked McAfee. I am currently appraising the Bitdefender 2008
> Internet Security Suite 30-day free trial. So far I've noticed this: Vista
> boots A LOT FASTER with BitDefender than with McAfee and BitDefender's
> post-virus-scan log is a lot more detailed.
>
> Black humor sidebar: I can just imagine McAfee tripping Vista into a blue
> screen as it stands in the way trying to scan various Vista modules as
> they're being loaded.
>
> What a joke. Do the research. McAfee's FORMER clients are about two bits
> short of a class-action lawsuit.
>
> "Licmy" <Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows
>> Defender.
>> --
>> Dave

Dave Harris

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
What other spyware program do you recommend?

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:31:07 -0800, Licmy
> <Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows
>> Defender.

> Is that all you have?
>
> You need three kinds of software for protection:
>
> 1. An anti-virus program
>
> 2. Two or more anti-spyware programs
>
> 3. A firewall program.
>
> Windows Defender is an anti-spyware program. You still need software
> of the other two types, and you should also run at least one other
> anti-spyware program. A single one is not good enough.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Straight Talk

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:31:07 -0800, Licmy
<Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows Defender.

You don't need any security *system*. What you need is a security
*concept*.

Straight Talk

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:22:37 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:31:07 -0800, Licmy
><Licmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Do I really need a secoundary security system? I already have Windows Defender.

>Is that all you have?
>
>You need three kinds of software for protection:
>
>1. An anti-virus program
>
>2. Two or more anti-spyware programs
>
>3. A firewall program.
>
>Windows Defender is an anti-spyware program. You still need software
>of the other two types, and you should also run at least one other
>anti-spyware program. A single one is not good enough.

What utter nonsense.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Defender vs Live One Care
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:18:05 -0800, "Dave Harris" <dlh7@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> What other spyware program do you recommend?

I use

Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
Spyware Blaster