why can't I read a folder to copy it

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

LAF

why can't I read a folder to copy it
When trying to copy various folders from my basic hard drive to an external
hard drive, I could copy several folders without problem, but then I had
several when windows started to copy and then came up with an error message:

"Cannot read from the source file or disk" Try again or cancel. Then same
message when I try again. I have vista home premium.

What is going on and how can I correct it? The files are fine because I can
vew them but why can't I copy them
Mr. Arnold

Re: why can't I read a folder to copy it

"LAF" <LAF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to copy various folders from my basic hard drive to an
> external
> hard drive, I could copy several folders without problem, but then I had
> several when windows started to copy and then came up with an error
> message:
>
> "Cannot read from the source file or disk" Try again or cancel. Then
> same
> message when I try again. I have vista home premium.
>
> What is going on and how can I correct it? The files are fine because I
> can
> vew them but why can't I copy them

Viewing and trying to copy them are two different things. It seems you have
some bad tracks on the disk where these files are located. You can run
Chkdsk /f for fix at the Command Prompt to see if that corrects your
problem.

And some folders on Vista are protected and you won't be able to copy the
folders.

LAF

Re: why can't I read a folder to copy it
Thanks, but I think the problem may be deeper. Vista says that I don't have
permitssion to run chkdsk /F. Yet I am the only user on the system and the
admiinistrator. Is there a way I can check permissions for copying or
running chkdsk.

LAF

> Thanks, but I think the problem may be deeper. Vista says that I don't
> have
> permitssion to run chkdsk /F. Yet I am the only user on the system and
> the
> admiinistrator. Is there a way I can check permissions for copying or
> running chkdsk.

Even as an Admin on the Vista O/S, in some cases, the Admin user only has
Standard user rights. Your rights even as Admin must be escalated to do
certain things, which can be accomplished by using Run as Administrator.

Start Button/all programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and you right-click
the line go to Properties and select RAS. RAS can be set permanently if you
go to the Advanced button.

Paul Adare

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:39:23 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:

> Start Button/all programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and you right-click
> the line go to Properties and select RAS. RAS can be set permanently if you
> go to the Advanced button.

You need to be careful when making up your own acronyms. RAS is Remote
Access. To the OP, what you should be looking for on the context menu is
Run As Administrator, not anything called RAS.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines

"Paul Adare" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:39:23 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:
>
>> Start Button/all programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and you right-click
>> the line go to Properties and select RAS. RAS can be set permanently if
>> you
>> go to the Advanced button.

> You need to be careful when making up your own acronyms. RAS is Remote
> Access. To the OP, what you should be looking for on the context menu is
> Run As Administrator, not anything called RAS.

I am pretty sure the OP is smart enough to put 2 + 2 together based on my
previous communication with him.
Only a fool would not be able to put it together in direct context of our
conversation. . I can for sure tell that the RAS in not exclusive to Remote
Access Service.

I don't need anyone running around trying to give out tickets, playing
Internet Traffic Cop or ITC.

Paul Adare

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:39:30 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:

> "Paul Adare" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:39:23 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> Start Button/all programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and you right-click
>>> the line go to Properties and select RAS. RAS can be set permanently if
>>> you
>>> go to the Advanced button.

>> You need to be careful when making up your own acronyms. RAS is Remote
>> Access. To the OP, what you should be looking for on the context menu is
>> Run As Administrator, not anything called RAS.

> I am pretty sure the OP is smart enough to put 2 + 2 together based on my
> previous communication with him.
> Only a fool would not be able to put it together in direct context of our
> conversation. . I can for sure tell that the RAS in not exclusive to Remote
> Access Service.
>
> I don't need anyone running around trying to give out tickets, playing
> Internet Traffic Cop or ITC.

My point was that RAS is simply a made up acronym and does not stand for
anything at all. There are others besides the OP who read these groups and
use the questions and answers to help solve their own problems. Making up
acronyms that are not even accurate don't help anyone at all.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
LAF

Re: why can't I read a folder to copy it
Thank you Mr. Arnold and Paul,

I was able to run chkdsk following your instructions. There were no errors
but I noticed that chkdsk was verifying several large files. After running
it, I was able to copy the folder that was giving me problems before.

LAF

"Paul Adare" wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:39:30 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:
>
> > "Paul Adare" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> You need to be careful when making up your own acronyms. RAS is Remote
> >> Access. To the OP, what you should be looking for on the context menu is
> >> Run As Administrator, not anything called RAS.

> > I am pretty sure the OP is smart enough to put 2 + 2 together based on my
> > previous communication with him.
> > Only a fool would not be able to put it together in direct context of our
> > conversation. . I can for sure tell that the RAS in not exclusive to Remote
> > Access Service.
> >
> > I don't need anyone running around trying to give out tickets, playing
> > Internet Traffic Cop or ITC.

> My point was that RAS is simply a made up acronym and does not stand for
> anything at all. There are others besides the OP who read these groups and
> use the questions and answers to help solve their own problems. Making up
> acronyms that are not even accurate don't help anyone at all.
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> MVP - Virtual Machines
> http://www.identit.ca
> You had mail, but the super-user read it, and deleted it!

Michael D

Re: why can't I read a folder to copy it
LAF,

One final suggestion, if chkdsk is finding bad areas on your hdd, its time
to back up and replace the drive asap. Trust me, waiting even a few reboots
can cause you to lose everything. I did not heed the warnings on one of my
desktops, and it crashed. Not a really big deal as my data is mostly stored
on seperate drives, but i had not made backup cds to re-install the unit and
had to wait until they were shipped to me so i could re-load.
--
Michael D. Dunfee