Wireless connection drops after screensaver starts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Neil Jones

Wireless connection drops after screensaver starts
Hello,

I am running Vista ultimate on my laptop. Everything is great so far
except my wireless connection. Everytime my screensaver begins, Vista
drops my connection. After I restart Vista, everything works fine. My
wife is experiencing the same problem with her XP laptop. She also has
a Apple laptop which maintains its connection even during the screen
saver mode.

How can I setup my Vista to maintain the network connection?

Thank you in advance.

NJ

---------------------
Random URL found on the Internet
http://memoriter.net/flash/test.html
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Wireless connection drops after screensaver starts
Neil Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Vista ultimate on my laptop. Everything is great so far
> except my wireless connection. Everytime my screensaver begins, Vista
> drops my connection. After I restart Vista, everything works fine. My
> wife is experiencing the same problem with her XP laptop. She also has
> a Apple laptop which maintains its connection even during the screen
> saver mode.
>
> How can I setup my Vista to maintain the network connection?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> NJ
>
> ---------------------
> Random URL found on the Internet
> http://memoriter.net/flash/test.html

What is your screen saver?

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Neil Jones

Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running Vista ultimate on my laptop. Everything is great so far
>> except my wireless connection. Everytime my screensaver begins, Vista
>> drops my connection. After I restart Vista, everything works fine.
>> My wife is experiencing the same problem with her XP laptop. She also
>> has a Apple laptop which maintains its connection even during the
>> screen saver mode.
>>
>> How can I setup my Vista to maintain the network connection?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> NJ
>>
>> ---------------------
>> Random URL found on the Internet
>> http://memoriter.net/flash/test.html

> What is your screen saver?

It is the default Vista Screen saver. Currently, I have set it too
photos. I don't know which screen saver my wife is using. The
connection is dropped after the screen saver is activated. Is it
anything to do with power management module in Windows?

NJ

---------------------
Random URL found on the Internet
http://memoriter.net/flash/test.html

Mr. Arnold

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-atnews@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MqedneORmLsQes_anZ2dnUVZ_rSrnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:
>> Neil Jones wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am running Vista ultimate on my laptop. Everything is great so far
>>> except my wireless connection. Everytime my screensaver begins, Vista
>>> drops my connection. After I restart Vista, everything works fine. My
>>> wife is experiencing the same problem with her XP laptop. She also has
>>> a Apple laptop which maintains its connection even during the screen
>>> saver mode.
>>>
>>> How can I setup my Vista to maintain the network connection?

I just did a test sitting in a hotel room with the hotel having a wireless
network, and I am using Vista Ultimate on a HP laptop.

1) The screen saver was set to 1 minute with password enabled on.
2) The power saver setting was set to turn the computer off after 1 minute.

I was able to wake the computer up, log back into the desktop, and the
wireless connection was re-established with no problems. There is no special
setup nor did I do any configuration, other than, change the time of the
screen saver and power management to activate them.

You ever consider it's a problem with the card and its driver? You could
check this by getting a standalone USB wireless card and using it on the
computer to see what happens.

Neil Jones

Mr. Arnold wrote:

> "Neil Jones" <castellan2004-atnews@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:MqedneORmLsQes_anZ2dnUVZ_rSrnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:

> I just did a test sitting in a hotel room with the hotel having a
> wireless network, and I am using Vista Ultimate on a HP laptop.
>
> 1) The screen saver was set to 1 minute with password enabled on.
> 2) The power saver setting was set to turn the computer off after 1 minute.
>
> I was able to wake the computer up, log back into the desktop, and the
> wireless connection was re-established with no problems. There is no
> special setup nor did I do any configuration, other than, change the
> time of the screen saver and power management to activate them.
>
> You ever consider it's a problem with the card and its driver? You could
> check this by getting a standalone USB wireless card and using it on the
> computer to see what happens.

The wireless router is Apple's Aironet (the one that looks like a
mushroom). I beginning to see an Apple conspirancy here, since my
wife's Apple laptop does not drop connection long after the laptop
screensaver session.

Thank you for the help though.

NJ