Security Center Error Message

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

jobella

Security Center Error Message
Hello,
For the past month I've been getting an error message from Security Center,
saying it is turned off however I am unable to open it.
I had Norton trial and have just installed Bitdefender. Normally I should be
able to click in security center that I have my own software but am unable to
do so
I went into Security Center Properties and got the following message:
"configuration manager: the specific device instance handle does not
correspond to a present device"
I then noticed that the Security Center was STOPPED. I got the following
message when I tried to start it: "Windows would not start Security Center
Sevice on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service
is different from the account specified for other services running in the
same process." Can anyone help me.....
Mr. Arnold

Re: Security Center Error Message

"jobella" <jobella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> For the past month I've been getting an error message from Security
> Center,
> saying it is turned off however I am unable to open it.
> I had Norton trial and have just installed Bitdefender. Normally I should
> be
> able to click in security center that I have my own software but am unable
> do so
> I went into Security Center Properties and got the following message:
> "configuration manager: the specific device instance handle does not
> correspond to a present device"
> I then noticed that the Security Center was STOPPED. I got the following
> message when I tried to start it: "Windows would not start Security Center
> Sevice on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this
> service
> is different from the account specified for other services running in the
> same process." Can anyone help me.....

To keep it short, go to the Services off of the Start Button, Control
Panel/Admin Tool and find the Security Center Service. You right-click the
line and go to Properties to the Logon tab. You go to Use this Account and
enter Local Service and leave password blank click OK. Then you Start the
service.

I don't what is causing the problem, but I suspect the uninstalling and
installing of security software has caused the password to become corrupted.
You might get the same message after the service starts successfully when
you try to view the service's dependencies, but the service will start.

me too

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> "jobella" <jobella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > For the past month I've been getting an error message from Security
> > Center,
> > saying it is turned off however I am unable to open it.
> > I had Norton trial and have just installed Bitdefender. Normally I should
> > be
> > able to click in security center that I have my own software but am unable
> > do so
> > I went into Security Center Properties and got the following message:
> > "configuration manager: the specific device instance handle does not
> > correspond to a present device"
> > I then noticed that the Security Center was STOPPED. I got the following
> > message when I tried to start it: "Windows would not start Security Center
> > Sevice on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this
> > service
> > is different from the account specified for other services running in the
> > same process." Can anyone help me.....

> To keep it short, go to the Services off of the Start Button, Control
> Panel/Admin Tool and find the Security Center Service. You right-click the
> line and go to Properties to the Logon tab. You go to Use this Account and
> enter Local Service and leave password blank click OK. Then you Start the
> service.
>
> I don't what is causing the problem, but I suspect the uninstalling and
> installing of security software has caused the password to become corrupted.
> You might get the same message after the service starts successfully when
> you try to view the service's dependencies, but the service will start.

Iv been having this problem too, except this solution hasnt worked for me
any other ideas?
Noel Paton

Re: Security Center Error Message
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 01:24:11 -0700, me too <me
too@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Mr. Arnold" wrote:
>

>> "jobella" <jobella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> > For the past month I've been getting an error message from Security
>> > Center,
>> > saying it is turned off however I am unable to open it.
>> > I had Norton trial and have just installed Bitdefender. Normally I should
>> > be
>> > able to click in security center that I have my own software but am unable
>> > do so
>> > I went into Security Center Properties and got the following message:
>> > "configuration manager: the specific device instance handle does not
>> > correspond to a present device"
>> > I then noticed that the Security Center was STOPPED. I got the following
>> > message when I tried to start it: "Windows would not start Security Center
>> > Sevice on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this
>> > service
>> > is different from the account specified for other services running in the
>> > same process." Can anyone help me.....

>> To keep it short, go to the Services off of the Start Button, Control
>> Panel/Admin Tool and find the Security Center Service. You right-click the
>> line and go to Properties to the Logon tab. You go to Use this Account and
>> enter Local Service and leave password blank click OK. Then you Start the
>> service.
>>
>> I don't what is causing the problem, but I suspect the uninstalling and
>> installing of security software has caused the password to become corrupted.
>> You might get the same message after the service starts successfully when
>> you try to view the service's dependencies, but the service will start.
>>

>Iv been having this problem too, except this solution hasnt worked for me
>any other ideas?

Do you mean that you also used to have Norton installed? - if so, then
the remains of that POS are probably preventing things from working
properly.
Download and run the Norton Removal tool - read the warniings on the
page first (it removes ALL norton software)
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

HTH
me too

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 01:24:11 -0700, me too <me
> too@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"Mr. Arnold" wrote:
> >

> >> "jobella" <jobella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> To keep it short, go to the Services off of the Start Button, Control
> >> Panel/Admin Tool and find the Security Center Service. You right-click the
> >> line and go to Properties to the Logon tab. You go to Use this Account and
> >> enter Local Service and leave password blank click OK. Then you Start the
> >> service.
> >>
> >> I don't what is causing the problem, but I suspect the uninstalling and
> >> installing of security software has caused the password to become corrupted.
> >> You might get the same message after the service starts successfully when
> >> you try to view the service's dependencies, but the service will start.
> >>

> >Iv been having this problem too, except this solution hasnt worked for me
> >any other ideas?

> Do you mean that you also used to have Norton installed? - if so, then
> the remains of that POS are probably preventing things from working
> properly.
> Download and run the Norton Removal tool - read the warniings on the
> page first (it removes ALL norton software)
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
>
> HTH

No iv never had norton installed. The thing which i think has happened is i
was trying to get my processes to a minimum and i cancelled the WMI service,
which i later learned is a dependancy of the security center. So i turned
this back on and set it to automatically start up, and now i still get the
error when i try to turn security center service on: Error 1079: The account
specified for this service
is different from the account specified for other services running in the
same process.

thanks
Noel Paton

Re: Security Center Error Message
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 03:39:01 -0700, me too
<metoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No iv never had norton installed. The thing which i think has happened is i
>was trying to get my processes to a minimum and i cancelled the WMI service,
>which i later learned is a dependancy of the security center. So i turned
>this back on and set it to automatically start up, and now i still get the
>error when i try to turn security center service on: Error 1079: The account
>specified for this service
>is different from the account specified for other services running in the
>same process.
>
>thanks

....in other words, your problem is NOTHING like the original one! -
why did you think that the fix there might work for you?
OK let's start from scratch.
when you say 'cancelled' WMI Service, what do you mean? - disabled it
in services.msc, or used some form of registry tweak, or removed it
completely?
WMI should be set to run Automatically, and on the Log On tab in
services.msc|Properties, to log on as Local System Account.
Check also that the RPC and DCOM Server Launcher services are also set
to Automatic (They should be - WIndows won't run without them!)

--
Noel Paton
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
me too

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 03:39:01 -0700, me too
> <metoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >No iv never had norton installed. The thing which i think has happened is i
> >was trying to get my processes to a minimum and i cancelled the WMI service,
> >which i later learned is a dependancy of the security center. So i turned
> >this back on and set it to automatically start up, and now i still get the
> >error when i try to turn security center service on: Error 1079: The account
> >specified for this service
> >is different from the account specified for other services running in the
> >same process.
> >
> >thanks

> ....in other words, your problem is NOTHING like the original one! -
> why did you think that the fix there might work for you?
> OK let's start from scratch.
> when you say 'cancelled' WMI Service, what do you mean? - disabled it
> in services.msc, or used some form of registry tweak, or removed it
> completely?
> WMI should be set to run Automatically, and on the Log On tab in
> services.msc|Properties, to log on as Local System Account.
> Check also that the RPC and DCOM Server Launcher services are also set
> to Automatic (They should be - WIndows won't run without them!)
>

> --
> Noel Paton
> www.crashfixpc.co.uk
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hi, yes i simply just disabled it from the services.msc.
RPC and DCOM are how you said they should be and i havnt messed with those
WMI is set to automatically and the logon tab i cannot set the user as Local
System Account there is an error message 1057. so i set the logon tab as
local service. please reply
me too

"me too" wrote:

> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 03:39:01 -0700, me too
> > <metoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >

> > >No iv never had norton installed. The thing which i think has happened is i
> > >was trying to get my processes to a minimum and i cancelled the WMI service,
> > >which i later learned is a dependancy of the security center. So i turned
> > >this back on and set it to automatically start up, and now i still get the
> > >error when i try to turn security center service on: Error 1079: The account
> > >specified for this service
> > >is different from the account specified for other services running in the
> > >same process.
> > >
> > >thanks

> > ....in other words, your problem is NOTHING like the original one! -
> > why did you think that the fix there might work for you?
> > OK let's start from scratch.
> > when you say 'cancelled' WMI Service, what do you mean? - disabled it
> > in services.msc, or used some form of registry tweak, or removed it
> > completely?
> > WMI should be set to run Automatically, and on the Log On tab in
> > services.msc|Properties, to log on as Local System Account.
> > Check also that the RPC and DCOM Server Launcher services are also set
> > to Automatic (They should be - WIndows won't run without them!)
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton
> > www.crashfixpc.co.uk
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >

> Hi, yes i simply just disabled it from the services.msc.
> RPC and DCOM are how you said they should be and i havnt messed with those
> WMI is set to automatically and the logon tab i cannot set the user as Local
> System Account there is an error message 1057. so i set the logon tab as
> local service. please reply

I have just made the service "Windows Management Instrumentation" start, i
did as you said i used the local system account. (sorry about my last post).
now when i still try to start the security center i get the same error 1079.
the accoutn is local service, the circle is filled in "Use this account". any
ideaS?
Noel Paton

Re: Security Center Error Message
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:08:01 -0700, me too
<metoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"me too" wrote:
>

>> "Noel Paton" wrote:

>> > ....in other words, your problem is NOTHING like the original one! -
>> > why did you think that the fix there might work for you?
>> > OK let's start from scratch.
>> > when you say 'cancelled' WMI Service, what do you mean? - disabled it
>> > in services.msc, or used some form of registry tweak, or removed it
>> > completely?
>> > WMI should be set to run Automatically, and on the Log On tab in
>> > services.msc|Properties, to log on as Local System Account.
>> > Check also that the RPC and DCOM Server Launcher services are also set
>> > to Automatic (They should be - WIndows won't run without them!)
>> >

>> > --
>> > Noel Paton
>> > www.crashfixpc.co.uk
>> >
>> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> >

>> Hi, yes i simply just disabled it from the services.msc.
>> RPC and DCOM are how you said they should be and i havnt messed with those
>> WMI is set to automatically and the logon tab i cannot set the user as Local
>> System Account there is an error message 1057. so i set the logon tab as
>> local service. please reply

>I have just made the service "Windows Management Instrumentation" start, i
>did as you said i used the local system account. (sorry about my last post).
>now when i still try to start the security center i get the same error 1079.
>the accoutn is local service, the circle is filled in "Use this account". any
>ideaS?

Security Center should be set to Auto (delayed start), and to log on
as Local Service - have you checked the password? (it should be
removed - although the blobs will still show)
HTH

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:08:01 -0700, me too
> <metoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> >> Hi, yes i simply just disabled it from the services.msc.
> >> RPC and DCOM are how you said they should be and i havnt messed with those
> >> WMI is set to automatically and the logon tab i cannot set the user as Local
> >> System Account there is an error message 1057. so i set the logon tab as
> >> local service. please reply

> >I have just made the service "Windows Management Instrumentation" start, i
> >did as you said i used the local system account. (sorry about my last post).
> >now when i still try to start the security center i get the same error 1079.
> >the accoutn is local service, the circle is filled in "Use this account". any
> >ideaS?

> Security Center should be set to Auto (delayed start), and to log on
> as Local Service - have you checked the password? (it should be
> removed - although the blobs will still show)
> HTH
> --
> Noel Paton
> www.crashfixpc.co.uk
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ok, done everything you have said so far... still not working same error
:S
thanks