How to unblock a blocked file

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

sdgreen

How to unblock a blocked file
I have dl's Boinc to my Vista Ultimate box, but the executible is always
blocked. How does one unblock the file so that it runs normally?

Mr. Arnold

Re: How to unblock a blocked file

"sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I have dl's Boinc to my Vista Ultimate box, but the executible is always
>blocked. How does one unblock the file so that it runs normally?

What do you mean? Is it being blocked at system Start-up for execution? Or
do you mean the file is downloaded and Vista is blocking so you cannot
install the software? If it's the later of the two, then use Explorer, find
the file, right-click the fine and use the Unblock button.

sdgreen

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>I have dl's Boinc to my Vista Ultimate box, but the executible is always
>>blocked. How does one unblock the file so that it runs normally?
>>

> What do you mean? Is it being blocked at system Start-up for execution? Or
> do you mean the file is downloaded and Vista is blocking so you cannot
> install the software? If it's the later of the two, then use Explorer,
> find the file, right-click the fine and use the Unblock button.

But where does one fine the 'unblock' button. the s/w is installed but
always Ultimate reports such is blocked and I must check the "blocked'
button in the task bar to start same which then comes up with the Vista
notice to proceed. I can not find any button that says 'unblock'. or
anything that remotely looks like 'run normally'.

newsAB55DBB-C19E-4582-B558-50D11FFABE20@microsoft.com...

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>I have dl's Boinc to my Vista Ultimate box, but the executible is always
>>>blocked. How does one unblock the file so that it runs normally?
>>>

>> What do you mean? Is it being blocked at system Start-up for execution?
>> Or do you mean the file is downloaded and Vista is blocking so you cannot
>> install the software? If it's the later of the two, then use Explorer,
>> find the file, right-click the fine and use the Unblock button.
>>

> But where does one fine the 'unblock' button. the s/w is installed but
> always Ultimate reports such is blocked and I must check the "blocked'
> button in the task bar to start same which then comes up with the Vista
> notice to proceed. I can not find any button that says 'unblock'. or
> anything that remotely looks like 'run normally'.

We're talking two different things.

This is what I am talking about with that Unblock button which not
applicable in this situation.

http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/

Again, how is the program being started. Is it at system boot and login that
the program is being started and Vista is blocking it or it it because you
are clicking on some desktop icon and it being blocked before you tell it ok
let it run?

It seems that the problem is when you login to the computer and Vista tries
to auto start the program.

sdgreen

> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> newsAB55DBB-C19E-4582-B558-50D11FFABE20@microsoft.com...
>>
>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> What do you mean? Is it being blocked at system Start-up for execution?
>>> Or do you mean the file is downloaded and Vista is blocking so you
>>> cannot install the software? If it's the later of the two, then use
>>> Explorer, find the file, right-click the fine and use the Unblock
>>> button.
>>>

>> But where does one fine the 'unblock' button. the s/w is installed but
>> always Ultimate reports such is blocked and I must check the "blocked'
>> button in the task bar to start same which then comes up with the Vista
>> notice to proceed. I can not find any button that says 'unblock'. or
>> anything that remotely looks like 'run normally'.

> We're talking two different things.
>
> This is what I am talking about with that Unblock button which not
> applicable in this situation.
>
> http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/
>
> Again, how is the program being started. Is it at system boot and login
> that the program is being started and Vista is blocking it or it it
> because you are clicking on some desktop icon and it being blocked before
> you tell it ok let it run?
>
> It seems that the problem is when you login to the computer and Vista
> tries to auto start the program.

Precisely. Vista Ultimate always indicates the Boincmgr program is blocked
as indicated in the little blocked icon in the task bar. Yet I can see
nothing in the properties of the exe file that would indicate that it is
blocked.

==

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> newsAB55DBB-C19E-4582-B558-50D11FFABE20@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

>>> But where does one fine the 'unblock' button. the s/w is installed but
>>> always Ultimate reports such is blocked and I must check the "blocked'
>>> button in the task bar to start same which then comes up with the Vista
>>> notice to proceed. I can not find any button that says 'unblock'. or
>>> anything that remotely looks like 'run normally'.

>> We're talking two different things.
>>
>> This is what I am talking about with that Unblock button which not
>> applicable in this situation.
>>
>> http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/
>>
>> Again, how is the program being started. Is it at system boot and login
>> that the program is being started and Vista is blocking it or it it
>> because you are clicking on some desktop icon and it being blocked before
>> you tell it ok let it run?
>>
>> It seems that the problem is when you login to the computer and Vista
>> tries to auto start the program.
>>

> Precisely. Vista Ultimate always indicates the Boincmgr program is blocked
> as indicated in the little blocked icon in the task bar. Yet I can see
> nothing in the properties of the exe file that would indicate that it is
> blocked.

I don't know in what context the word precisely is being used.

Well if at system startup and login , I had the same problem with a program
called CurrPorts that I put a short-cut for it in the Startup folder and
Windows Defender blocked it every time at system startup and login. I had to
create an entry in Windows Defender to the short-cut on the its Start-up tab
All Users button that enabled the Add button so that the entry could be
made. It didn't work right away but Vista finally did recognize it and
stopped blocking the program at system boot and login.

You can go to the All Programs and select the Windows Defender line,
right-click/Properties/Advanced and check on RAS so it's set permanently.
You then start WD and go to Tools/Software Explorer, and have at it and get
it to work.

sdgreen

> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> newsAB55DBB-C19E-4582-B558-50D11FFABE20@microsoft.com...

>>> We're talking two different things.
>>>
>>> This is what I am talking about with that Unblock button which not
>>> applicable in this situation.
>>>
>>> http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/
>>>
>>> Again, how is the program being started. Is it at system boot and login
>>> that the program is being started and Vista is blocking it or it it
>>> because you are clicking on some desktop icon and it being blocked
>>> before you tell it ok let it run?
>>>
>>> It seems that the problem is when you login to the computer and Vista
>>> tries to auto start the program.
>>>

>> Precisely. Vista Ultimate always indicates the Boincmgr program is
>> blocked as indicated in the little blocked icon in the task bar. Yet I
>> can see nothing in the properties of the exe file that would indicate
>> that it is blocked.

> I don't know in what context the word precisely is being used.
>
> Well if at system startup and login , I had the same problem with a
> program called CurrPorts that I put a short-cut for it in the Startup
> folder and Windows Defender blocked it every time at system startup and
> login. I had to create an entry in Windows Defender to the short-cut on
> the its Start-up tab All Users button that enabled the Add button so that
> the entry could be made. It didn't work right away but Vista finally did
> recognize it and stopped blocking the program at system boot and login.
>
> You can go to the All Programs and select the Windows Defender line,
> right-click/Properties/Advanced and check on RAS so it's set permanently.
> You then start WD and go to Tools/Software Explorer, and have at it and
> get it to work.

==
I will give that a try and see what happens. Also running Windows One Care.

Thanks

sdgreen

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

>>> Precisely. Vista Ultimate always indicates the Boincmgr program is
>>> blocked as indicated in the little blocked icon in the task bar. Yet I
>>> can see nothing in the properties of the exe file that would indicate
>>> that it is blocked.

>> I don't know in what context the word precisely is being used.
>>
>> Well if at system startup and login , I had the same problem with a
>> program called CurrPorts that I put a short-cut for it in the Startup
>> folder and Windows Defender blocked it every time at system startup and
>> login. I had to create an entry in Windows Defender to the short-cut on
>> the its Start-up tab All Users button that enabled the Add button so that
>> the entry could be made. It didn't work right away but Vista finally did
>> recognize it and stopped blocking the program at system boot and login.
>>
>> You can go to the All Programs and select the Windows Defender line,
>> right-click/Properties/Advanced and check on RAS so it's set
>> permanently. You then start WD and go to Tools/Software Explorer, and
>> have at it and get it to work.
>>

> ==
> I will give that a try and see what happens. Also running Windows One
> Care.
>
> Thanks

Well that does not work. When I check the properties, there is no such thing
as a 'unblock' button to use.

> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "sdgreen" <sd.green@shaw.ca> wrote in message

>>> I don't know in what context the word precisely is being used.
>>>
>>> Well if at system startup and login , I had the same problem with a
>>> program called CurrPorts that I put a short-cut for it in the Startup
>>> folder and Windows Defender blocked it every time at system startup and
>>> login. I had to create an entry in Windows Defender to the short-cut on
>>> the its Start-up tab All Users button that enabled the Add button so
>>> that the entry could be made. It didn't work right away but Vista
>>> finally did recognize it and stopped blocking the program at system boot
>>> and login.
>>>
>>> You can go to the All Programs and select the Windows Defender line,
>>> right-click/Properties/Advanced and check on RAS so it's set
>>> permanently. You then start WD and go to Tools/Software Explorer, and
>>> have at it and get it to work.
>>>

>> ==
>> I will give that a try and see what happens. Also running Windows One
>> Care.
>>
>> Thanks

> Well that does not work. When I check the properties, there is no such
> thing as a 'unblock' button to use.

What are you talking about? The block on an application being started at
boot and login and the Unblock button for a file that came to your computer
that was not originated by your computer, but the file came from another
computer are two different things.

You should go back to that link above, read it and understand the context
of the information in the link.

Maybe, this link will better help you, which was the Windows Defender
solution I was giving you up above..

<http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79612-startup-programs-enable-disable.html>

Steve E.

"sdgreen" wrote:

> I have dl's Boinc to my Vista Ultimate box, but the executible is always
> blocked. How does one unblock the file so that it runs normally?
>
> --

The following is a repost from another thread:

I believe the way that Vista handles BOINC depends on the way it is installed.
If it is installed to run as a service (it runs even when no one logs on) It
needs
some special privilege (like administrator, or system) and Vista (or Windows
Defender) apparently doesn't like this so the startup is blocked until you
authorize it
If it is installed as a screen saver, then it is run under your login and
doesn't have to start a service.
I'm not 100% sure that I'm right but......

Steve