Vista - Launch Program from another

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jack

Vista - Launch Program from another
I am not sure if this is the correct group but...

I am trying to launch a program from another program with no success, I
assume it is due to a security issue.

I have a program (actually a .Net dll) that downloads an installation
package (exe that runs as an update to an existing program) and once it is
finished downloading it will attempt to run the exe. However it just ends
at that point, I assume to the program not being allowed to launch another
program.

Does anyone have a way around this? I am okay with Vista asking the user if
s/he wants to allow this program it just never gets that far.

Jack

Jesper

RE: Vista - Launch Program from another
How exactly do you try to launch it? What error message are you getting? If
it is a .Net assembly doing the launching, it may be running in a mode that
prevents it from reading the hard drive, and hence, from launching programs.
---

"Jack" wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the correct group but...
>
> I am trying to launch a program from another program with no success, I
> assume it is due to a security issue.
>
> I have a program (actually a .Net dll) that downloads an installation
> package (exe that runs as an update to an existing program) and once it is
> finished downloading it will attempt to run the exe. However it just ends
> at that point, I assume to the program not being allowed to launch another
> program.
>
> Does anyone have a way around this? I am okay with Vista asking the user if
> s/he wants to allow this program it just never gets that far.
>
> Jack

Jack

Re: Vista - Launch Program from another
I download a file to "System.IO.Path.GetTempPath" then call
"Process.Start(DLFile)" to launch the file. It downlaods fine, I can see
the file but will not launch and does not throw an exception.

It runs fine on XP so it must be a security issue in Vista. I would
understand if it prompted the user but nothing at all happens when it calls
the process.start under Vista.

Jack

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How exactly do you try to launch it? What error message are you getting?
> If
> it is a .Net assembly doing the launching, it may be running in a mode
> that
> prevents it from reading the hard drive, and hence, from launching
> programs.
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if this is the correct group but...
>>
>> I am trying to launch a program from another program with no success, I
>> assume it is due to a security issue.
>>
>> I have a program (actually a .Net dll) that downloads an installation
>> package (exe that runs as an update to an existing program) and once it
>> is
>> finished downloading it will attempt to run the exe. However it just
>> ends
>> at that point, I assume to the program not being allowed to launch
>> another
>> program.
>>
>> Does anyone have a way around this? I am okay with Vista asking the user
>> if
>> s/he wants to allow this program it just never gets that far.
>>
>> Jack

Jesper

Re: Vista - Launch Program from another
It probably is a security issue. However, it could be getting virtualized, or
it could be marked as requiring user interaction, or it could be something
else. Your best bet is to assign everything you do to variables, and then
step through it in a debugger so you can make sure you understand what is
going on. Unfortunately, I don't write much .Net code, so I don't know what
is causing this. You could also try one of the .Net newsgroups.
---