Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Doug Fox

Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator
Stupidly I tried to uninstall Symantec Norton Corp v8.0 on a Windows Vista
Home Premium "standalone" PC. I was successfully uninstall the Symantec
Security Client, but not the LiveUpdate. Vista complained that I did not
have administsrator's privilege and needed to contact a system
administrator. In fact, I logged on to the PC as administrator.

Any pointers/advice to resolve this incident will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Larry

Re: Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator
Ever since Symantec was taken over from Peter Norton's orginal company,
quite frankly, it sucks balls. So I never recommend it to clients. It does
work as AV and firewall but is extremely bloated and difficult to remove if
the user so desires. I prefer something less bloated like kasperski or
panda. Best of luck.

"Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Stupidly I tried to uninstall Symantec Norton Corp v8.0 on a Windows Vista
> Home Premium "standalone" PC. I was successfully uninstall the Symantec
> Security Client, but not the LiveUpdate. Vista complained that I did not
> have administsrator's privilege and needed to contact a system
> administrator. In fact, I logged on to the PC as administrator.
>
> Any pointers/advice to resolve this incident will be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

David B. Mathews

Re: Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator
Another thing. I do believe if you have any Norton products left on your
computer it won't let you uninstall it until you have deleted every NORTON
program. Just a thought.
"Larry" <edgyfotoguy@msn.com> wrote in message
newsE3D90EE-3E92-42CA-82C6-58A574B7CCE0@microsoft.com...
> Ever since Symantec was taken over from Peter Norton's orginal company,
> quite frankly, it sucks balls. So I never recommend it to clients. It
> does work as AV and firewall but is extremely bloated and difficult to
> remove if the user so desires. I prefer something less bloated like
> kasperski or panda. Best of luck.
>
> "Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Stupidly I tried to uninstall Symantec Norton Corp v8.0 on a Windows
>> Vista Home Premium "standalone" PC. I was successfully uninstall the
>> Symantec Security Client, but not the LiveUpdate. Vista complained that
>> I did not have administsrator's privilege and needed to contact a system
>> administrator. In fact, I logged on to the PC as administrator.
>>
>> Any pointers/advice to resolve this incident will be much appreciated.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,

Richard G. Harper

Re: Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator
I would recommend going to the Symantec site and downloading one of their
Symantec cleaners that removes leftover debris after uninstalling a Symantec
product. If your product was truly a Norton Corporate edition you may need
to get the corporate cleaner instead of the consumer cleaner.

"Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Stupidly I tried to uninstall Symantec Norton Corp v8.0 on a Windows Vista
> Home Premium "standalone" PC. I was successfully uninstall the Symantec
> Security Client, but not the LiveUpdate. Vista complained that I did not
> have administsrator's privilege and needed to contact a system
> administrator. In fact, I logged on to the PC as administrator.
>
> Any pointers/advice to resolve this incident will be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

Axel Göller

Re: Can't uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate as an administrator
Doug Fox typed:
> Stupidly I tried to uninstall Symantec Norton Corp v8.0 on a Windows
> Vista Home Premium "standalone" PC. I was successfully uninstall the
> Symantec Security Client, but not the LiveUpdate. Vista complained
> that I did not have administsrator's privilege and needed to contact
> a system administrator. In fact, I logged on to the PC as
> administrator.

Probably you have ignored a warning message when you uninstalled the first
component of the Norton suite.
(I assume, you did it anyway out of "software" under "system control").
If you did not work in accordance with the recommended sequence, then you
will not be able to uninstall th remaining components.
Try the following:

Install Norton once more completely on he standalone PC.
Thereafter you should find three (or similar) components of Norton resp.
Symyntec in the list if installed software.
Then you start uninstalling with components like Live update, but read
exactly what upcoming messages tell you.
The last thing to uninstall is Norton security suite resp. client.

After you will have been succesful with uninstalling (do make the reboots
when you are asked for them), load the tool "Norton removal tool" from the
internet (find it with Google) and let this run.

Please let us know the results!
Axel

If you look for a well accepted virus protection, take also a look at
www.free-av.de.