Website owner tells me I may have a virus.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Grainne

Website owner tells me I may have a virus.
I can go anywhere on the web with no problem except for one website which you
all probably know about, majorgeeks.com. I always get the "This page cannot
be displayed" error. I've never been able to get to that website from my
laptop without problems. But I can get to the site from a friends computer
through a different ISP. So I considered the possibility that my ISP
(comcast) could be preventing people from going to that website.

The idea that this could be happening really bothered me, so I called the
website owner, James McMahon, because I thought he should know this could be
happening. Mr. McMahon was very nice and walked me through pinging his
website. He told me he recently switched servers, so he didn't recall his
exact new IP off the top of his head, but he did indicate that the IP that
the ping returned was definately not his IP. It was then that Mr. McMahon
suggested that I may have a virus. He indicated that his website is targeted
for a lot of viruses because of the service it provides and that I may have
some kind of virus which is preventing me from getting to his website at all.
This does make sense, because his is the only website I cannot get to from
my computer without problems.

I have 'Adaware,' 'Windows Defender' and 'McAfee Security Center.' I run
them all regularly and update them regularly. No virus has ever been found.
But I recently updated my 'Spybot Search and Destroy' and scanned and it
found something called Zlob.DNSChanger. Spybot Search and Destroy did a fix
and I was then able to get to the majorgeeks website. The next day, I found
that I couldn't get to majorgeeks.com again, so I ran SS&D again only to find
that Zlob.DNSChanger had returned. I have to remove Zlob.DNSChanger before I
get on to the internet every time I want to go to majorgeeks.com. So
apparently SS&D's fix is only temporary. Any suggestions on what I can do to
remove Zlob.DNSChanger permanently on my own?
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Website owner tells me I may have a virus.
"Grainne" <Grainne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can go anywhere on the web with no problem except for one website which
>you
> all probably know about, majorgeeks.com. I always get the "This page
> cannot
> be displayed" error. I've never been able to get to that website from my
> laptop without problems. But I can get to the site from a friends
> computer
> through a different ISP. So I considered the possibility that my ISP
> (comcast) could be preventing people from going to that website.
>
> The idea that this could be happening really bothered me, so I called the
> website owner, James McMahon, because I thought he should know this could
> be
> happening. Mr. McMahon was very nice and walked me through pinging his
> website. He told me he recently switched servers, so he didn't recall his
> exact new IP off the top of his head, but he did indicate that the IP that
> the ping returned was definately not his IP. It was then that Mr. McMahon
> suggested that I may have a virus. He indicated that his website is
> targeted
> for a lot of viruses because of the service it provides and that I may
> have
> some kind of virus which is preventing me from getting to his website at
> all.
> This does make sense, because his is the only website I cannot get to from
> my computer without problems.
>
> I have 'Adaware,' 'Windows Defender' and 'McAfee Security Center.' I run
> them all regularly and update them regularly. No virus has ever been
> found.
> But I recently updated my 'Spybot Search and Destroy' and scanned and it
> found something called Zlob.DNSChanger. Spybot Search and Destroy did a
> fix
> and I was then able to get to the majorgeeks website. The next day, I
> found
> that I couldn't get to majorgeeks.com again, so I ran SS&D again only to
> find
> that Zlob.DNSChanger had returned. I have to remove Zlob.DNSChanger
> before I
> get on to the internet every time I want to go to majorgeeks.com. So
> apparently SS&D's fix is only temporary. Any suggestions on what I can do
> remove Zlob.DNSChanger permanently on my own?

Check C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc for a file named HOSTS with no
extension. (Not Hosts.sam)
Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files and folders and is NOT set to
hide extensions for known file types.
If HOSTS exists, rename it to HOSTS.OLD
Reboot an try again.

Or, In a Cmd window, enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear your TIF also, and re-boot.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Grainne

Re: Website owner tells me I may have a virus.
Thank you very much. That did the trick. :-D