Vista blocks access to downloaded program files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

GO

Vista blocks access to downloaded program files
I have Vista Home Premium.
I am attempting to install a program from a website. After
the .exe setup file is downloaded, a "Windows Security
Warning" box appears. The gist of the text is "Windows has
found that this file is potentially harmful to your
computer." Access to this file has been blocked."
I am not given the option to continue anyway. The setup
file simply becomes "invisible."
I would like to be able to download this program and run
it - can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista blocks access to downloaded program files

"GO" <theotts@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have Vista Home Premium.
> I am attempting to install a program from a website. After the .exe setup
> file is downloaded, a "Windows Security Warning" box appears. The gist of
> the text is "Windows has found that this file is potentially harmful to
> your computer." Access to this file has been blocked."
> I am not given the option to continue anyway. The setup file simply
> becomes "invisible."
> I would like to be able to download this program and run it - can this be
> accomplished?

http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/

GO

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

> "GO" <theotts@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>I have Vista Home Premium.
>> I am attempting to install a program from a website.
>> After the .exe setup file is downloaded, a "Windows
>> Security Warning" box appears. The gist of the text is
>> "Windows has found that this file is potentially harmful
>> to your computer." Access to this file has been
>> blocked."
>> I am not given the option to continue anyway. The setup
>> file simply becomes "invisible."
>> I would like to be able to download this program and run
>> it - can this be accomplished?
>>

> http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/

Thank you, but that isn't the problem.
This particular security warning prevents me from executing
a downloaded program file at all.
I cannot install ANYTHING on this computer that has been
downloaded. It is simply blocked, with no apparent means to
gain access; e.g. searches of the HDs do NOT find the file
so that I may choose to "run as administrator."
I can't possibly be the only person who has encountered
this?

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "GO" <theotts@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>I have Vista Home Premium.
>>> I am attempting to install a program from a website. After the .exe
>>> setup file is downloaded, a "Windows Security Warning" box appears. The
>>> gist of the text is "Windows has found that this file is potentially
>>> harmful to your computer." Access to this file has been blocked."
>>> I am not given the option to continue anyway. The setup file simply
>>> becomes "invisible."
>>> I would like to be able to download this program and run it - can this
>>> be accomplished?
>>>

>> http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/

> Thank you, but that isn't the problem.
> This particular security warning prevents me from executing a downloaded
> program file at all.
> I cannot install ANYTHING on this computer that has been downloaded. It
> is simply blocked, with no apparent means to gain access; e.g. searches of
> the HDs do NOT find the file so that I may choose to "run as
> administrator."
> I can't possibly be the only person who has encountered this?

Any file that you download is going to be blocked from execution until you
unblock the file based on the information in that link, if it's an
executable file.

I have downloaded a few files on Vista. What I did is made a directory like
*GO* and tell the download that's where I want the file saved. Then I
right-click the file and use the *Unblock* button if needed.

If you want to find a file with Vista's Search, then you use the Advanced
Search, check-on *Include non-indexed files* that tells Vista's Search to
look at all files. The Vista Search if not using the Advanced Search, only
looks for indexed files. If the file is there when using Vista's Search and
you use the *Include non-indexed files* option, then Vista Search will find
the file. You right-click the Start button and select Search, select Adv
Search, check on Include non-indexed files, select Location and select the
drive letter to search.

GO

> "GO" <theotts@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "GO" <theotts@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/

>> Thank you, but that isn't the problem.
>> This particular security warning prevents me from
>> executing a downloaded program file at all.
>> I cannot install ANYTHING on this computer that has been
>> downloaded. It is simply blocked, with no apparent means
>> to gain access; e.g. searches of the HDs do NOT find the
>> file so that I may choose to "run as administrator."
>> I can't possibly be the only person who has encountered
>> this?
>>>

> Any file that you download is going to be blocked from
> execution until you unblock the file based on the
> information in that link, if it's an executable file.
>
> I have downloaded a few files on Vista. What I did is made
> a directory like *GO* and tell the download that's where I
> want the file saved. Then I right-click the file and use
> the *Unblock* button if needed.
>
> If you want to find a file with Vista's Search, then you
> use the Advanced Search, check-on *Include non-indexed
> files* that tells Vista's Search to look at all files. The
> Vista Search if not using the Advanced Search, only looks
> for indexed files. If the file is there when using Vista's
> Search and you use the *Include non-indexed files* option,
> then Vista Search will find the file. You right-click the
> Start button and select Search, select Adv Search, check
> on Include non-indexed files, select Location and select
> the drive letter to search.

Thank you!
I can now locate the file. I did encounter another problem,
but I think it was to do with the program file.

First, I saw no option to "Unblock" the file when I
left-clicked on it, so I chose "Run as Administrator."
About halfway through the installation, the program reported
that it couldn't find a necessary component.
I very much appreciate your patience with such a rank
amateur as I am.