Can't edit /etc/hosts file or run application that I installed under

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

war_wheelan@yahoo.com

Can't edit /etc/hosts file or run application that I installed under
I am/have an administrative account on a Vista Home Premium PC, but
the system says that access is denied went I attempt to edit the /etc/
hosts file.

The directory is read-only (which I didn't think applied to
administrators) so I removed read-only access, but still received
'access denied' when attempting to save changes.

I also installed an application under the 'C:\Program Files' directory
which doesn't run because it needs to write updates to that
directory. Why does it allow me to install the application (read/
write) implied, but not update it when I run it?
Malke

Re: Can't edit /etc/hosts file or run application that I installed
war_wheelan@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am/have an administrative account on a Vista Home Premium PC, but
> the system says that access is denied went I attempt to edit the /etc/
> hosts file.
>
> The directory is read-only (which I didn't think applied to
> administrators) so I removed read-only access, but still received
> 'access denied' when attempting to save changes.
>
> I also installed an application under the 'C:\Program Files' directory
> which doesn't run because it needs to write updates to that
> directory. Why does it allow me to install the application (read/
> write) implied, but not update it when I run it?

You are an administrator in Vista but not Administrator. See this link
which explains the difference in Administrator in Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=942956

To work on the hosts file, run Notepad elevated (right-click, run as
Administrator) and open hosts from there.

As for the program, I can't answer that. You'd need to ask the people
who wrote it if they have plans for making an updated version that is
compatible with Vista, have any patches, workarounds, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Ray

Re: Can't edit /etc/hosts file or run application that I installed under C:\Programs Files
Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> war_wheelan@yahoo.com wrote:

[snip]
>> I also installed an application under the 'C:\Program Files'
>> directory which doesn't run because it needs to write updates to
>> that directory. Why does it allow me to install the application
>> (read/ write) implied, but not update it when I run it?

[snip]
> As for the program, I can't answer that. You'd need to ask the
> people who wrote it if they have plans for making an updated
> version that is compatible with Vista, have any patches,
> workarounds, etc.

Two suggestions. You could run the program as Administrator; I think
that would allow it to write to a folder under Program Files. Or you
could install it somewhere else, not under Program Files. I had a
similar problem with my newsreader (Xnews), and ended up moving it out
of Program Files.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)