My first laptop . . . how safe?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Sue

My first laptop . . . how safe?
Hi,

I purchased and should be receiving my new (and first) laptop in the mail
within a week. It is windows vista home premium.

My question is how safe will I be when I connect at a hotspot? Is there
addictional software that I should purchase prior to using my wi-fi? Or is
vista already setup straight out of the box with security features?

Thank you,

Newbie to wi-fi
Kerry Brown

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?
In Vista when you connect to a new network you will be asked if it is a
private or public network. Always pick public for hotspots.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I purchased and should be receiving my new (and first) laptop in the mail
> within a week. It is windows vista home premium.
>
> My question is how safe will I be when I connect at a hotspot? Is there
> addictional software that I should purchase prior to using my wi-fi? Or
> is
> vista already setup straight out of the box with security features?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Newbie to wi-fi

Consultant

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?
i would not check any bank accounts or email accounts that you value from
any hotspot. you may also want to pick up a privacy screen for it.

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I purchased and should be receiving my new (and first) laptop in the mail
> within a week. It is windows vista home premium.
>
> My question is how safe will I be when I connect at a hotspot? Is there
> addictional software that I should purchase prior to using my wi-fi? Or
> is
> vista already setup straight out of the box with security features?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Newbie to wi-fi

James Matthews

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?
hot spots are never secure! If you need to log in us a VPN

--

http://search.goldwatches.com/?Search=Movado+Watches
http://www.goldwatches.com/
"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I purchased and should be receiving my new (and first) laptop in the mail
> within a week. It is windows vista home premium.
>
> My question is how safe will I be when I connect at a hotspot? Is there
> addictional software that I should purchase prior to using my wi-fi? Or
> is
> vista already setup straight out of the box with security features?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Newbie to wi-fi

Sue

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?
And where might I find a VPN?

"James Matthews" wrote:

> hot spots are never secure! If you need to log in us a VPN
>
> --
>
> http://search.goldwatches.com/?Search=Movado+Watches
> http://www.goldwatches.com/
> http://www.jewelerslounge.com/
> "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I purchased and should be receiving my new (and first) laptop in the mail
> > within a week. It is windows vista home premium.
> >
> > My question is how safe will I be when I connect at a hotspot? Is there
> > addictional software that I should purchase prior to using my wi-fi? Or
> > is
> > vista already setup straight out of the box with security features?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Newbie to wi-fi

roy69

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?

People can see everything you do when using a hotspot with special
software, to be more to the point if someone wanted to look at anything
you were doing ,look at your logs and so on and was resourceful and
eager enough they would do it, they are just like that.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
Mr. Arnold

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?

> And where might I find a VPN?

Your job will provide a VPN connection, if you're working at home to protect
sending and receiving, which is data encryption and decryption, of data
between the company's network and you computer sitting out there on the
Internet.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100858.asp

Or you have some ISP's that provide a VPN connection between its network and
their clients.

In either case, there must be two valid VPN end points. The VPN endpoint on
your end and a VPN end point at the final destination.

Let's face reality here. You're never going to be in some VPN connect
sitting up in public hot spot, unless it being provided to you in the ways
mentioned above.

When you're in communications with a bank or other such companies that deal
money or other such data that must be a secure exchange of data over the
Internet between their network and your computers browser, it's going to be
over HTTPS.

http://www.gordano.com/kb.htm?q=1588

Bottom line is you should disable MS Client for Networks and MS File and
Print Sharing off of your wireless card. That way, no one on the public
wireless network can access your computer while you're using wireless. Or
you're using a personal FW that has the Windows Networking Ports blocked to
all traffic, which is a setting you can turn on and off on most PFW(s).

I am using a hotel's public wireless network right now, and I have been
doing it for a couple years doing banking the whole nine yards.

Unless you're 007's wife with some secrets on the laptop, and you were on an
Impossible Mission would anyone care what your transmitting in an connection
that's not HTTPS.

You'll know you're in a HTTPS connection when you see
https://www.whatever.com.

Chinatiger

Re: My first laptop . . . how safe?
Vista is already setup straight out of zhe box with security features

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息