Modify files on \windows\system32

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Marcos Paione

Modify files on \windows\system32
Hi, how to change files (mapisvc.inf) permissions on windows vista, the file
is in c:\windows\system32, and I'm member of Administrators group.

Thanks a lot.

Marcos

Kerry Brown

Re: Modify files on \windows\system32
You must use Windows Explorer and UAC must be enabled. You will get several
UAC prompts when trying to modify system files. If UAC is disabled you would
have to use the icacls command in a command prompt. It's much more
complicated. In Windows Explorer browse to the file. Right click it and pick
Properties. On the Security tab click on Advanced. Change the owner to
yourself. You may have to reboot or logoff then logon. You should now be
able to change the security settings.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Marcos Paione" <marcospaioneNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, how to change files (mapisvc.inf) permissions on windows vista, the
> file is in c:\windows\system32, and I'm member of Administrators group.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Marcos

Jesper

Re: Modify files on \windows\system32
Marcos, why are you trying to modify system files?

---

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> You must use Windows Explorer and UAC must be enabled. You will get several
> UAC prompts when trying to modify system files. If UAC is disabled you would
> have to use the icacls command in a command prompt. It's much more
> complicated. In Windows Explorer browse to the file. Right click it and pick
> Properties. On the Security tab click on Advanced. Change the owner to
> yourself. You may have to reboot or logoff then logon. You should now be
> able to change the security settings.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Marcos Paione" <marcospaioneNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, how to change files (mapisvc.inf) permissions on windows vista, the
> > file is in c:\windows\system32, and I'm member of Administrators group.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Marcos

Kerry Brown

Re: Modify files on \windows\system32
I was wondering the same but found out that file may need to be directly
modified in some circumstances.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User