Files with extension ".doc" should be opened in Microsoft Word Application

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Venkat

Files with extension ".doc" should be opened in Microsoft Word Application
Hi,

Files with extension ".doc" should be opened in Microsoft Word Application

Files with extension ".xls" should be opened in Microsoft Excel Application

When files are opened using window.open function call in JavaScript, files
with .doc and .xls is opened up in IE. To avoid this in XP,2000 client
machines,2000 server and 2003 server machines following settings are done.

My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->File Types
Select doc extension
Click advanced button
Uncheck browse in same window option

Select xls extension
Click advanced button
Uncheck browse in same window option

This enables to open office documents in their native application.

There is no such setting in Windows Vista.
Is there any similar setting to enable office documents opening in native
applications rather than in IE?

Thanks in Advance,
Venkat

Cy!on

Re: Files with extension ".doc" should be opened in Microsoft Word Application

"Venkat" <venkatarao.v@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Files with extension ".doc" should be opened in Microsoft Word Application
>
> Files with extension ".xls" should be opened in Microsoft Excel
> Application
>
> When files are opened using window.open function call in JavaScript, files
> with .doc and .xls is opened up in IE. To avoid this in XP,2000 client
> machines,2000 server and 2003 server machines following settings are done.
>

> My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->File Types
> Select doc extension
> Click advanced button
> Uncheck browse in same window option
>
> Select xls extension
> Click advanced button
> Uncheck browse in same window option
>
> This enables to open office documents in their native application.
>
> There is no such setting in Windows Vista.
> Is there any similar setting to enable office documents opening in native
> applications rather than in IE?
>

> Thanks in Advance,
> Venkat

Well you could always right click it, choose "Open With" - choose the
program you want, excel, word etc and tick the box that says "Always use
this program to open files of this type".

Gerald3092

Re: Files with extension ".doc" should be opened in Microsoft Word Application
SEE.....

How to Identify Files (file extensions Search Engine) (example: . exe , .
dll)
FILExt Home Page, The File Extension Source
http://filext.com/
Welcome to FILExt, the file extension source. FILExt is a detailed database
of file extensions and programs that use them. A file extension is simply
the end characters after the period in a file name (see here for a detailed
description). A search in the database here might result in multiple
possibilities. Use the context of where you got the file to help you figure
out exactly what it is if there are multiple possibilities. To help, many of
the links on this site will open a new browser window so you have constant
reference to the FILExt data.