Restore points

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Farbuncle

Restore points

Can I turn off the automatic creation of restore points in Vista? If so how?
Jesper

RE: Restore points
1. Open the Control Panel
2. Open System and Maintenance
3. Open the System Control Panel
4. Click on "System Protection" and accept the elevation prompt
5. Uncheck the boxes for all the disks in the "Automatic restore points"
dialog
6. Click OK.

---

"Farbuncle" wrote:

> Can I turn off the automatic creation of restore points in Vista? If so how?

Farbuncle

RE: Restore points
Thanks, Jesper. Its amazing how easy things are when you know how.

"Jesper" wrote:

> 1. Open the Control Panel
> 2. Open System and Maintenance
> 3. Open the System Control Panel
> 4. Click on "System Protection" and accept the elevation prompt
> 5. Uncheck the boxes for all the disks in the "Automatic restore points"
> dialog
> 6. Click OK.
>

> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "Farbuncle" wrote:
>

> > Can I turn off the automatic creation of restore points in Vista? If so how?

Jesper

RE: Restore points
:-)

Yep. It's what comes from compulsive investigations of technology.

---

"Farbuncle" wrote:

> Thanks, Jesper. Its amazing how easy things are when you know how.
>
> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > 1. Open the Control Panel
> > 2. Open System and Maintenance
> > 3. Open the System Control Panel
> > 4. Click on "System Protection" and accept the elevation prompt
> > 5. Uncheck the boxes for all the disks in the "Automatic restore points"
> > dialog
> > 6. Click OK.
> >

> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >

> > "Farbuncle" wrote:
> >

> > > Can I turn off the automatic creation of restore points in Vista? If so how?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Restore points
You may regret not having restore points..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Farbuncle" <Farbuncle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Jesper. Its amazing how easy things are when you know how.
>
> "Jesper" wrote:
>
>> 1. Open the Control Panel
>> 2. Open System and Maintenance
>> 3. Open the System Control Panel
>> 4. Click on "System Protection" and accept the elevation prompt
>> 5. Uncheck the boxes for all the disks in the "Automatic restore points"
>> dialog
>> 6. Click OK.
>>

>> ---
>> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>>

>> "Farbuncle" wrote:
>>

>> > Can I turn off the automatic creation of restore points in Vista? If so
>> > how?

Jesper

Re: Restore points
True, but there are legitimate reasons to disable them. For example, I
disable them on all virtual machines. I also occasionally purge them when I
am in need of a few extra gigs of disk space.

In general, you should leave them on though.
---

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> You may regret not having restore points..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
>

> "Farbuncle" <Farbuncle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Jesper. Its amazing how easy things are when you know how.
> >
> > "Jesper" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Open the Control Panel
> >> 2. Open System and Maintenance
> >> 3. Open the System Control Panel
> >> 4. Click on "System Protection" and accept the elevation prompt
> >> 5. Uncheck the boxes for all the disks in the "Automatic restore points"
> >> dialog
> >> 6. Click OK.
> >>

> >> ---
> >> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20

Farbuncle

Re: Restore points
It would only be short term on certain occasions