Third Party Downloads

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

aug

Third Party Downloads
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Vista and am currently using Vista Ultimate.
The security settings sem to block out all my third party downloads stating
the following:

Unverified Submission.
Only install applications from developers you trust. This is a third-party
application and it could access your computer's files, show you objectionable
content or change its behaviour at any time.

Since i'm downloading from the microsoft website itself (tested it out with
vista sidebar downloads), i trust the so-called third-party to be secure.

Moving on, clicking "OK" and choosing to save the file to computer, it says
the following:
Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

I really need help for this as it's blocking most of my downloads, even the
attachments in my mails. I tried enabling file download for all trusted/
restricted sites etc just to test it out but it still remains the same. The
only successful download so far being a NVIDIA driver download from
www.nvidia.com.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can aid me in this. Thanks in advance.
Jesper

RE: Third Party Downloads
Somehow your Internet Explorer security settings have been changed. If you
look in the lower right corner of Internet Explorer, does it say
"Internet|Protected Mode: On"? If it says "Restricted Sites..." you have
added this site to the Restricted Sites zone, and downloads are not permitted
in that zone.

If it says "Internet..." here is how you fix it:
1. Click the Tools button in the top left corner
2. Click "Internet Options"
3. Click the "Security" tab
4. Click the button for "Reset all zones to default level."
5. Click OK.

Now try to download and it should work.

If it says "Restricted sites..." start by following steps 1-3 above. Then do:
4. Click the "Restricted sites" icon
5. Click the "Sites" button
6. Select the site you want to download from and click the "Remove" button
7. Click OK twice.

The first warning you mention, as far as I can tell, is not an Internet
Explorer warning. Do you have some third party anti-malware program
installed? It seems likely that the warning about "unverified submissions"
comes from that, not from Internet Explorer.

---