DEP and Post-it

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jeff

DEP and Post-it
I am trying to install 3M's Post-it digital but Vista (32) keeps blocking it
because of DEP.

I have already tried the route of enabling DEP for all programs except the
Post-it installer, but DEP keeps blocking it.

Any ideas?

Tnx in advance

Jeff
Jesper

RE: DEP and Post-it
More than likely the 3M installer is broken. It may work properly in the
absence of DEP, but any program that causes DEP to fire is by definition
broken.

You may be able to get it to work if you enable DEP only for OS files.
However, if you can submit feedback to 3M you should ask them to fix their
software instead. It is unacceptable that you should have to endanger your
computer and your personal information to run their software.

---

"Jeff" wrote:

> I am trying to install 3M's Post-it digital but Vista (32) keeps blocking it
> because of DEP.
>
> I have already tried the route of enabling DEP for all programs except the
> Post-it installer, but DEP keeps blocking it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tnx in advance
>
> Jeff

Jeff

RE: DEP and Post-it
Jesper,

Thank you for your feedback.

I actually disabled DEP (bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff) got it to
install, but then... yikes what a nightmare. Thunderbird wouldn't work,
other errors.

I have since returned my system to pre-install (no post-it installed) and
things seem better.

I will try to contact 3M as you suggested.

Tnx again.

Jeff

"Jesper" wrote:

> More than likely the 3M installer is broken. It may work properly in the
> absence of DEP, but any program that causes DEP to fire is by definition
> broken.
>
> You may be able to get it to work if you enable DEP only for OS files.
> However, if you can submit feedback to 3M you should ask them to fix their
> software instead. It is unacceptable that you should have to endanger your
> computer and your personal information to run their software.
>
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install 3M's Post-it digital but Vista (32) keeps blocking it
> > because of DEP.
> >
> > I have already tried the route of enabling DEP for all programs except the
> > Post-it installer, but DEP keeps blocking it.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Tnx in advance
> >
> > Jeff

Jesper

RE: DEP and Post-it
That actually does not disable DEP. DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is
Microsoft's software implementation to control malicious code that attempts
to subvert exception handlers. NX is AMD's hardware implementation to protect
code from executing in data pages.

To manage DEP you need to go into the System Control Panel, click the
Advanced tab, click Settings... in the performance area, and click the Data
Execution Prevention tab. You get the option of turning on DEP for only the
OS and for everything with some exceptions. You cannot disable DEP on Vista.
---

"Jeff" wrote:

> Jesper,
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> I actually disabled DEP (bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff) got it to
> install, but then... yikes what a nightmare. Thunderbird wouldn't work,
> other errors.
>
> I have since returned my system to pre-install (no post-it installed) and
> things seem better.
>
> I will try to contact 3M as you suggested.
>
> Tnx again.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > More than likely the 3M installer is broken. It may work properly in the
> > absence of DEP, but any program that causes DEP to fire is by definition
> > broken.
> >
> > You may be able to get it to work if you enable DEP only for OS files.
> > However, if you can submit feedback to 3M you should ask them to fix their
> > software instead. It is unacceptable that you should have to endanger your
> > computer and your personal information to run their software.
> >
> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >

> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to install 3M's Post-it digital but Vista (32) keeps blocking it
> > > because of DEP.
> > >
> > > I have already tried the route of enabling DEP for all programs except the
> > > Post-it installer, but DEP keeps blocking it.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Tnx in advance
> > >
> > > Jeff

Jeff

RE: DEP and Post-it
Hmmm... something is odd. After executing the command I did NOT have any
options available where you suggest. Even after executing that command but
with AlwaysOn I had no options (they were greyed out).

I had to run
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx optin
Before I had options again.

Jeff

"Jesper" wrote:

> That actually does not disable DEP. DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is
> Microsoft's software implementation to control malicious code that attempts
> to subvert exception handlers. NX is AMD's hardware implementation to protect
> code from executing in data pages.
>
> To manage DEP you need to go into the System Control Panel, click the
> Advanced tab, click Settings... in the performance area, and click the Data
> Execution Prevention tab. You get the option of turning on DEP for only the
> OS and for everything with some exceptions. You cannot disable DEP on Vista.
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20

Jesper

RE: DEP and Post-it
There are definitely integration points between the two and disabling it in
bcdedit might have caused the OS to not permit you to change it at all. That
is good to know.
---