Unable to automatically run Norton 360 antivirus scans

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

azhorton

Unable to automatically run Norton 360 antivirus scans
Also cannot get Norton virus updates to automatically update. Believe this
problem is connected with Windows Vista User Account Control because when I
do either a manual scan or a manual virus update I get prompted to allow the
program to run. Thus I'm thinking maybe Norton tries to do the scans and
updates automatically during the night but can't because I'm not there to OK
the program to run and Norton eventually times out. After a week or so Norton
warns me that my virus list is out of date and also that a complete scan
hasn't been run for over a week. Has anyone out there experienced this
problem and if so know of a fix. I'm running Vista Home Basic.
Gary
Kayman

Re: Unable to automatically run Norton 360 antivirus scans
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:36:01 -0800, azhorton wrote:

> Also cannot get Norton virus updates to automatically update. Believe this
> problem is connected with Windows Vista User Account Control because when I
> do either a manual scan or a manual virus update I get prompted to allow the
> program to run. Thus I'm thinking maybe Norton tries to do the scans and
> updates automatically during the night but can't because I'm not there to OK
> the program to run and Norton eventually times out. After a week or so Norton
> warns me that my virus list is out of date and also that a complete scan
> hasn't been run for over a week. Has anyone out there experienced this
> problem and if so know of a fix. I'm running Vista Home Basic.

The problem is not with Vista rather with the application and/or user.

The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
using Norton's own uninstall tool
and get a refund
As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
proceeding.
Or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to
go to:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
and download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of
NIS breakes the networking components in XP to the point where internet
access is impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Good (free) alternatives are:

Avira AntiVir« PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

Or

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)

Plus

On-demand AV application.
(add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

--
Your computer is most likely to fail at a time when you need it most.
(Bill Husted,CNS)
Greg

Re: Unable to automatically run Norton 360 antivirus scans
Upgrade to Norton 2008.

Check your control panel to see if it is set to express or interactive.

Norton 2008 does not inherit the old code base and problems.
Maybe they took the move to Vista as an opportunity to clean things up.
I didn't like NIS 2007 and would never endorse or recommend Norton,
but I learned the hard way that AVG Suite wasn't much if any better.

So after a lot of reading, picked up Norton Internet Security 2008.
Very pleased.

Norton's own uninstall tool didn't work for me when I tried to uninstall
2007.

But if you are going to bash a program, you might want to test it
(again) for yourself.

news:1geaxdm6s0bot$.10bjdyjs54lpm.dlg@40tude.net.. .