Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Antivirus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007
Charanjit Singh
 

Posts: n/a
Antivirus
Which is best free antivirus except Norten.I am new to internet. How can i
download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.
--
Charanjit Singh
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007
Kayman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:23:02 -0800, Charanjit Singh wrote:

> Which is best free antivirus except Norten.I am new to internet. How can i
> download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.


A number of experts agree that the retail AV version of McAfee, Norton and
Trend Micro has become cumbersome and bloated for the average user.

AVG is *not* the flavor of the day anymore, but since you're after the free
version you can try and decide for yourself.

Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection.
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
In fact, most of experts (incl. Norton) believe that scanning incoming and
outgoing mail causes e-mail file corruption.

Avira AntiVir« PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/

On-demand AV application.
(add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss, (grab'em all).

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

Ad-Aware - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

A clarification on the terminology: the word "malware" is short for
"malicious software." Most Anti-Virus applications detect many types of
malware such as viruses, worms, trojans, etc.
What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware, and the
term "non-viral malware" is normally used to refer to things like spyware
and adware.

Some more useful applications:
Spyware Blaster - Free
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Rootkit Revealer - Free
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tRevealer.mspx

Crap Cleaner - Free
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender".

CW Shredder - Free
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Shredder.shtml

Good luck

--
Your computer is most likely to fail at a time when you need it most.
(Bill Husted,CNS)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007
Spirit
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus
Kayman gave you some excellent links... go with Avast and stop any of the
Shields you don't use.

"Charanjit Singh" <charanjit@jalalabad.com> wrote in message
news:EE42624E-1522-4810-8587-99437A77869D@microsoft.com...
> Which is best free antivirus except Norten.I am new to internet. How can i
> download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.
> --
> Charanjit Singh



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007
priji
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus

Kayman

gave you some excellent links.

Thank you very much


--
priji
Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gateway

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007
Greg
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Norton Internet Security 2008
I would re-evaluate whether Norton 2008 should still be considered
bloated, cumbersome, etc.

I've avoided Norton for the last decade, and echoed the "avoid Norton"
but NIS 2008 really is a new program from the ground up.

- Greg

"Kayman" <kaymanNoSpam@operamail.com> wrote in message
news:1xz8u8kj78bgu.1hpbdpj95p8l$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:23:02 -0800, Charanjit Singh wrote:
>
>> Which is best free antivirus except Norten.I am new to internet. How
>> can i
>> download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.

>
> A number of experts agree that the retail AV version of McAfee, Norton
> and
> Trend Micro has become cumbersome and bloated for the average user.
>
> AVG is *not* the flavor of the day anymore, but since you're after the
> free
> version you can try and decide for yourself.
>
> Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
> Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
> Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
> Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional
> protection.
> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
> In fact, most of experts (incl. Norton) believe that scanning incoming
> and
> outgoing mail causes e-mail file corruption.
>
> Avira AntiVir« PersonalEdition Classic - Free
> http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
>
> Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
> http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
> (Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
> Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
>
> AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
> http://free.grisoft.com/
>
> On-demand AV application.
> (add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
> BitDefender10 Free Edition
> http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html
>
> A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
> The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging
> and
> oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software
> that
> cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need
> multiple
> products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch
> what
> another may miss, (grab'em all).
>
> SuperAntispyware - Free
> http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
>
> Ad-Aware - Free
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
> Interesting reading:
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
> "...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which
> detects
> changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything
> about
> the actual threat."
>
> A clarification on the terminology: the word "malware" is short for
> "malicious software." Most Anti-Virus applications detect many types
> of
> malware such as viruses, worms, trojans, etc.
> What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware, and
> the
> term "non-viral malware" is normally used to refer to things like
> spyware
> and adware.
>
> Some more useful applications:
> Spyware Blaster - Free
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
>
> Rootkit Revealer - Free
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tRevealer.mspx
>
> Crap Cleaner - Free
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
> If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
> uncheck "Windows Defender".
>
> CW Shredder - Free
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Shredder.shtml
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> Your computer is most likely to fail at a time when you need it most.
> (Bill Husted,CNS)


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007
Ken Blake, MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:23:02 -0800, Charanjit Singh
<charanjit@jalalabad.com> wrote:

> Which is best free antivirus except Norten.



You will undoubtedly get several different opinions. Here's my
opinion: Avast!



> I am new to internet. How can i
> download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.



AVG is free. McAfee is not. But McAfee, along with Norton, should be
avoided.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2007
Kayman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:22:10 -0700, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

> AVG is free. McAfee is not.


http://safety.aol.com/isc/BasicSecurity/

> But McAfee, along with Norton, should be avoided.


--
Never take life seriously; Nobody gets out alive anyway
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2007
bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus
Again :
You will undoubtedly get several different opinions.
Here's my opinion too : Would you work for free???
So how do you expert a free software fully work for you!!!

If you spend 1,000$ for a good computer and you don't have 40$/year to
protect you investment???

For me it's the same as buying a 20,000$ car and don't have any money for
the insurance.


Good look!!!

Good look!!!

Bob

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:23:02 -0800, Charanjit Singh
> <charanjit@jalalabad.com> wrote:
>
> > Which is best free antivirus except Norten.

>
>
> You will undoubtedly get several different opinions. Here's my
> opinion: Avast!
>
>
>
> > I am new to internet. How can i
> > download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.

>
>
> AVG is free. McAfee is not. But McAfee, along with Norton, should be
> avoided.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
josiah.inman@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus
On Nov 22, 11:43 am, bob <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Again :
> You will undoubtedly get several different opinions.
> Here's my opinion too : Would you work for free???
> So how do you expert a free software fully work for you!!!
>
> If you spend 1,000$ for a good computer and you don't have 40$/year to
> protect you investment???
>
> For me it's the same as buying a 20,000$ car and don't have any money for
> the insurance.
>
> Good look!!!
>
> Good look!!!
>
> Bob
>
>
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:23:02 -0800, Charanjit Singh
> > <charan...@jalalabad.com> wrote:

>
> > > Which is best free antivirus except Norten.

>
> > You will undoubtedly get several different opinions. Here's my
> > opinion: Avast!

>
> > > I am new to internet. How can i
> > > download free version of AVG ativirus or Macafee antivirus.

>
> > AVG is free. McAfee is not. But McAfee, along with Norton, should be
> > avoided.

>
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


You can find AVG fee at http://free.grisoft.com/

good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2007
TheGreatGazoo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Antivirus

I agree that free isn't always the best option. In life you do tend to
get what you pay for. I've installed Kaspersky Anti-virus. It installed
easy on my x64 system and I haven't had any problems. As far as how it's
working...no idea but it's reviewed really well for what it's worth.


--
TheGreatGazoo
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
antivirus hawkeye microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 09-23-2007 17:44
antivirus poulos81 microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.securite 0 08-30-2007 08:18
antivirus bdzyub@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-13-2007 12:57
Antivirus =?Utf-8?B?R2ls?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 6 02-18-2007 03:52
antivirus Stephen S. Kenworthy microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 8 01-04-2007 18:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120