can't install a setup.exe file

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Bill

can't install a setup.exe file
something is wrong with my computer, I justed purchased a program online when
I go to install the setup.exe file this black box comes up and then I get
this error

c:\windows\sytem32\rundll32.exe
NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

I notice that if I try to change my security settings or my firewall
protection I get the same error. Does anyone know how I can fix this
brink

Re: can't install a setup.exe file

Bill;518799 Wrote:
> something is wrong with my computer, I justed purchased a program online
> when
> I go to install the setup.exe file this black box comes up and then I
> get
> this error
>
> c:\windows\sytem32\rundll32.exe
> NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
>
> I notice that if I try to change my security settings or my firewall
> protection I get the same error. Does anyone know how I can fix this

Hi Bill,

Try right clicking on the setup.exe file and click "Run as
administrator". Also, try with UAC turned On or Off.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Bill

Re: can't install a setup.exe file
what is UAC

"brink" wrote:

> Bill;518799 Wrote:
> > something is wrong with my computer, I justed purchased a program online
> > when
> > I go to install the setup.exe file this black box comes up and then I
> > get
> > this error
> >
> > c:\windows\sytem32\rundll32.exe
> > NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
> >
> > I notice that if I try to change my security settings or my firewall
> > protection I get the same error. Does anyone know how I can fix this

> Hi Bill,
>
> Try right clicking on the setup.exe file and click "Run as
> administrator". Also, try with UAC turned On or Off.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

Bill

Re: can't install a setup.exe file
didn't work, what is UAC

"brink" wrote:

> Bill;518799 Wrote:
> > something is wrong with my computer, I justed purchased a program online
> > when
> > I go to install the setup.exe file this black box comes up and then I
> > get
> > this error
> >
> > c:\windows\sytem32\rundll32.exe
> > NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
> >
> > I notice that if I try to change my security settings or my firewall
> > protection I get the same error. Does anyone know how I can fix this

> Hi Bill,
>
> Try right clicking on the setup.exe file and click "Run as
> administrator". Also, try with UAC turned On or Off.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

Mr. Arnold

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is UAC

This may come into play.

http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista...apps-on-vista/

Use Google and find out what UAC is on Vista.

In addition, use Google to find out how to disable UAC and then enable it
again after the install of your software, as it may be preventing the
install.

Bill

Re: can't install a setup.exe file
Mr. Arnold thanks for the tip, didn't have to go on google just typed user
account control into the computer help and it shows how to turn on and off,
didn't work with my problem but thanks again