Firewall problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

youngjan

Firewall problem
Hi,
I've posted this question before, in January, but no reply so thought I'd
try again.
If I switch off Windows Firewall my printer works perfectly -
I've got a Canon LBP5200 laser printer. Since getting a new PC with Vista
Home loaded I've had problems with the printer.
Got the correct driver from Canon installed and the printer works but takes
forever to spool & start printing.
Checked with Canon support and all the printer configuration settings are as
they recommend - they couldn't recreate the problem but suggested a firewall
might be the cause.
If I switch off Windows Firewall it works like lightning. I've tried adding
the Cannon LBP5200 RPC server process to the exceptions list and this helps
with some applications, but unfortunately there's still a problem printing
from Office (Word & Excel etc.). The little blue donut spins for about 2
minutes.
Any suggestions on settings for the firewall?
--
Jan

--
Jan
SG

Re: Firewall problem
Jan,

Can't help with your problem, but I have a customer with the exact same
problem. Different printer, it's an HP, but after upgrading from XP to Vista
the printer spools everything before it starts printing.

If you ever find a solution please post back here and thanks.

All the best,
SG

"youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've posted this question before, in January, but no reply so thought I'd
> try again.
> If I switch off Windows Firewall my printer works perfectly -
> I've got a Canon LBP5200 laser printer. Since getting a new PC with Vista
> Home loaded I've had problems with the printer.
> Got the correct driver from Canon installed and the printer works but
> takes
> forever to spool & start printing.
> Checked with Canon support and all the printer configuration settings are
> as
> they recommend - they couldn't recreate the problem but suggested a
> firewall
> might be the cause.
> If I switch off Windows Firewall it works like lightning. I've tried
> adding
> the Cannon LBP5200 RPC server process to the exceptions list and this
> helps
> with some applications, but unfortunately there's still a problem printing
> from Office (Word & Excel etc.). The little blue donut spins for about 2
> minutes.
> Any suggestions on settings for the firewall?
> --
> Jan
>
> --
> Jan

Greg

Re: Firewall problem
I had a lot of trouble with Lexmark E240 would be 'talking' over UDP
ports when installing or adding the printer drivers. Even looked like it
was "phoning home" and acting like it was just "check for updated
drivers"

I turned off all printer sharing ports in software firewall. Then I
blocked in-bound and out-bound services manually at the router which
seemed to stop all the needless chatter and let the printer driver get
installed.

I don't like that I was seeing ports and services opened on my firewall
automatically while I sat there and watched. And it was more than just
the windows printer sharing port.

The idea that it is a firewall issue is a red-herring.

Which is why, after this, I have hardened the two router's firewall, and
added a network intrusion detection package.

"youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've posted this question before, in January, but no reply so thought
> I'd
> try again.
> If I switch off Windows Firewall my printer works perfectly -
> I've got a Canon LBP5200 laser printer. Since getting a new PC with
> Vista
> Home loaded I've had problems with the printer.
> Got the correct driver from Canon installed and the printer works but
> takes
> forever to spool & start printing.
> Checked with Canon support and all the printer configuration settings
> are as
> they recommend - they couldn't recreate the problem but suggested a
> firewall
> might be the cause.
> If I switch off Windows Firewall it works like lightning. I've tried
> adding
> the Cannon LBP5200 RPC server process to the exceptions list and this
> helps
> with some applications, but unfortunately there's still a problem
> printing
> from Office (Word & Excel etc.). The little blue donut spins for about
> 2
> minutes.
> Any suggestions on settings for the firewall?
> --
> Jan
>
> --
> Jan

youngjan

Re: Firewall problem
Hi Greg,
Thanks for that info - not sure why you think my problem isn't firewall
related though. I have no problems installing printer drivers/updates etc.
it's just when I have to print something that I hit the lag problem, and if I
turn the windows firewall off I don't have it - the printer performs
brilliantly.
--
Jan

"Greg" wrote:

> I had a lot of trouble with Lexmark E240 would be 'talking' over UDP
> ports when installing or adding the printer drivers. Even looked like it
> was "phoning home" and acting like it was just "check for updated
> drivers"
>
> I turned off all printer sharing ports in software firewall. Then I
> blocked in-bound and out-bound services manually at the router which
> seemed to stop all the needless chatter and let the printer driver get
> installed.
>
> I don't like that I was seeing ports and services opened on my firewall
> automatically while I sat there and watched. And it was more than just
> the windows printer sharing port.
>
> The idea that it is a firewall issue is a red-herring.
>
> Which is why, after this, I have hardened the two router's firewall, and
> added a network intrusion detection package.
>
> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I've posted this question before, in January, but no reply so thought
> > I'd
> > try again.
> > If I switch off Windows Firewall my printer works perfectly -
> > I've got a Canon LBP5200 laser printer. Since getting a new PC with
> > Vista
> > Home loaded I've had problems with the printer.
> > Got the correct driver from Canon installed and the printer works but
> > takes
> > forever to spool & start printing.
> > Checked with Canon support and all the printer configuration settings
> > are as
> > they recommend - they couldn't recreate the problem but suggested a
> > firewall
> > might be the cause.
> > If I switch off Windows Firewall it works like lightning. I've tried
> > adding
> > the Cannon LBP5200 RPC server process to the exceptions list and this
> > helps
> > with some applications, but unfortunately there's still a problem
> > printing
> > from Office (Word & Excel etc.). The little blue donut spins for about
> > 2
> > minutes.
> > Any suggestions on settings for the firewall?
> > --
> > Jan
> >
> > --
> > Jan

Mr. Arnold

Re: Firewall problem

"youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've posted this question before, in January, but no reply so thought I'd
> try again.
> If I switch off Windows Firewall my printer works perfectly -
> I've got a Canon LBP5200 laser printer. Since getting a new PC with Vista
> Home loaded I've had problems with the printer.
> Got the correct driver from Canon installed and the printer works but
> takes
> forever to spool & start printing.
> Checked with Canon support and all the printer configuration settings are
> as
> they recommend - they couldn't recreate the problem but suggested a
> firewall
> might be the cause.
> If I switch off Windows Firewall it works like lightning. I've tried
> adding
> the Cannon LBP5200 RPC server process to the exceptions list and this
> helps
> with some applications, but unfortunately there's still a problem printing
> from Office (Word & Excel etc.). The little blue donut spins for about 2
> minutes.
> Any suggestions on settings for the firewall?

Is this printer on a network? If it's on a network, then that's the only
thing that makes any kind of sense here. If the Vista FW is the problem,
have you tried any other FW(s) and the problem follows?

youngjan

Re: Firewall problem
Hi,
No, the printer isn't on a network. Is ther another firewall you would
recommend trying, or do I even need one, the Netgear wireless router I use
has one built in.
--
Jan

> Hi,
> No, the printer isn't on a network. Is ther another firewall you would
> recommend trying, or do I even need one, the Netgear wireless router I use
> has one built in.
> --

If you have a router sitting there, then the computer that is hosting the
printer is on a network, and the printer is on a network if you are trying
to print to the printer from another computer on the network. If the
computers are behind a Netgear FW router, then no, you don't need Vista's FW
or any personal FW period running on the computer. However, since this is a
wireless router where someone could access your network wirelessly, they can
also access an unprotected computer on your LAN wired or wireless and you
need a personal FW or machine level packet filter running on the computer to
protect it...

What's the model number of the router, and what other computers with O/S are
using the router. What computer with its O/S is hosting the printer? I'll
assume that the computers on the network are trying to share the printer on
the computer that's hosting it.

Let's get this information, before we go any further. There is another
component on the Vista O/S that works in a FW like manner, that may be less
intrusive in this situation than Vista's FW that is viable. If it were not
for the wireless aspects and security of the computers wired or wireless,
then I would tell you to dump/disable Vista's FW or any PFW(s) behind the
Netgear.

..

WBH

Re: Firewall problem
I have the same issue with 2 WV based computers when I try to print to an HP
LJ4 and HP OJP L7580. The Vista laptop takes stalls, for lack of a better
term. When I use an XP based computer to print, it prints almost instantly.

WBH.. .. .

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > No, the printer isn't on a network. Is ther another firewall you would
> > recommend trying, or do I even need one, the Netgear wireless router I use
> > has one built in.
> > --

> If you have a router sitting there, then the computer that is hosting the
> printer is on a network, and the printer is on a network if you are trying
> to print to the printer from another computer on the network. If the
> computers are behind a Netgear FW router, then no, you don't need Vista's FW
> or any personal FW period running on the computer. However, since this is a
> wireless router where someone could access your network wirelessly, they can
> also access an unprotected computer on your LAN wired or wireless and you
> need a personal FW or machine level packet filter running on the computer to
> protect it...
>
> What's the model number of the router, and what other computers with O/S are
> using the router. What computer with its O/S is hosting the printer? I'll
> assume that the computers on the network are trying to share the printer on
> the computer that's hosting it.
>
> Let's get this information, before we go any further. There is another
> component on the Vista O/S that works in a FW like manner, that may be less
> intrusive in this situation than Vista's FW that is viable. If it were not
> for the wireless aspects and security of the computers wired or wireless,
> then I would tell you to dump/disable Vista's FW or any PFW(s) behind the
> Netgear.
>

> ..

youngjan

Re: Firewall problem
Hi,
Sorry about the delay in replying, I've been out of the country.
The Netgear Router is model WGT624 v3.
The only PC using the printer isn't using the router wirelessly, it's a
cable connection - OS for this one is Vista Home edition. There is another PC
& a laptop that connect wirelessly to the network, but they don't use the
printer. They are both using XP & Norton Firewalls.
--
Jan