User Account Control - Disable

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

GW

User Account Control - Disable
I disabled the notification for User Account Contol. I don't get the stupid
pop up dialog boxes everytime I install or download something. Now, the
Windows Security Center always has a red alarm that I have this turned off.
I would rather have a green status so if firewall, updates or malware has a
problem, I will get notified. Can I do away with User Account Conrol? I
want to look down in my package tray and see a green icon, not red. Thanks
Charlie42

Re: User Account Control - Disable
"GW" <GW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I disabled the notification for User Account Contol. I don't get the
>stupid
> pop up dialog boxes everytime I install or download something. Now, the
> Windows Security Center always has a red alarm that I have this turned
> off.
> I would rather have a green status so if firewall, updates or malware has
> problem, I will get notified. Can I do away with User Account Conrol? I
> want to look down in my package tray and see a green icon, not red. Thanks

Sorry, you can neither uninstall UAC nor keep Security Center from telling
you that turning it off was a bad idea. Which is true. UAC is one of the
main security improvements that came with Vista. It's designed to keep
malware and non-admin users from harming the system. While the constant
prompts can be annoying when you're setting up a new computer, there's less
hazzle after a while when you're just using it.

Charlie42

Donald L McDaniel

Re: User Account Control - Disable
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:40:01 -0800, GW <GW@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I disabled the notification for User Account Contol. I don't get the stupid
>pop up dialog boxes everytime I install or download something. Now, the
>Windows Security Center always has a red alarm that I have this turned off.
>I would rather have a green status so if firewall, updates or malware has a
>problem, I will get notified. Can I do away with User Account Conrol? I
>want to look down in my package tray and see a green icon, not red. Thanks

The ONLY way you will ALWAYS see a green icon:
1) Enable Automatic Downloads using option 1 of Automatic Downloads,
and NEVER use option 2 or option 3 of Automatic Downloads.
2) Enable UAC, and NEVER turn it off.
3) Make sure you have a Vista-compatible antivirus installed and
updated, and NEVER uninstall it unless you install another one.
4) Make sure you have Windows Defender turned on and operating
normally, and NEVER turn it off
5) Make sure you have a firewall installed and turned on, if not using
the Vista firewall.

You must do all 5 of these if you want to always see the green icon in
the Notification Area. Failing to do any one of the 5 will ALWAYS
result in a red icon in the Notification Area.

Of course, you can simply turn off the Windows Security Center, making
sure it's set to NEVER show its icon in the Notification Area. Of
course, you won't see the "pretty" green icon any more, either.

Sorry, friend, there is NO WORKAROUND short of uninstalling Vista or
XP. XP w/SP2 and Vista both require its use, but allow the user to
turn it off completely, if wanted.

Donald L McDaniel