A non-Administrative User to run program with Administrative previlidges

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Alex Ferenstein

A non-Administrative User to run program with Administrative previlidges
In Unix, I can set a CHMOD bit to allow an executable to be run with Owner's
(even Root's) permissions by another user.
I am using a Vista program SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) that requires
Administrative privileges (to monitor some system parameters, like
temperature). I would like non-Administrative users to be able to run this
program with these privileges. I've looked at NTFS permissions but cannot
recognize anything that'll help. How can I do same in NTFS/Vista?

Alex Ferenstein

Re: A non-Administrative User to run program with Administrative previlidges
Forgot to mention, Run as Administrator doesn't help...

"Alex Ferenstein" <epaalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In Unix, I can set a CHMOD bit to allow an executable to be run with
> Owner's (even Root's) permissions by another user.
> I am using a Vista program SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) that requires
> Administrative privileges (to monitor some system parameters, like
> temperature). I would like non-Administrative users to be able to run this
> program with these privileges. I've looked at NTFS permissions but cannot
> recognize anything that'll help. How can I do same in NTFS/Vista?

Jimmy Brush

Re: A non-Administrative User to run program with Administrative previlidges
Hello,

There is no built-in administrative way to do this in Windows.

The "correct" way for this to be done in the Windows world is for the
user-facing application to run with the privileges of the user, and then
access the information through a privileged windows service that supposedly
enforces whatever security policy you have set as an administrator.

In addition, are you certain that the information that you want to be
displayed to the standard user is actually restricted to admins only?
Generally, a lot of OS information can be seen by non-admins in read-only
form.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

> Forgot to mention, Run as Administrator doesn't help...
>
> "Alex Ferenstein" <epaalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In Unix, I can set a CHMOD bit to allow an executable to be run with
>> Owner's (even Root's) permissions by another user.
>> I am using a Vista program SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) that requires
>> Administrative privileges (to monitor some system parameters, like
>> temperature). I would like non-Administrative users to be able to run
>> this program with these privileges. I've looked at NTFS permissions but
>> cannot recognize anything that'll help. How can I do same in NTFS/Vista?

Alex Ferenstein

Re: A non-Administrative User to run program with Administrative previlidges
Thanks for reply, Jimmy.

"Jimmy Brush" <jb@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> There is no built-in administrative way to do this in Windows.
>
> The "correct" way for this to be done in the Windows world is for the
> user-facing application to run with the privileges of the user, and then
> access the information through a privileged windows service that
> supposedly enforces whatever security policy you have set as an
> administrator.
>
> In addition, are you certain that the information that you want to be
> displayed to the standard user is actually restricted to admins only?
> Generally, a lot of OS information can be seen by non-admins in read-only
> form.
>
> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Alex Ferenstein" <epaalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Forgot to mention, Run as Administrator doesn't help...
>>
>> "Alex Ferenstein" <epaalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> In Unix, I can set a CHMOD bit to allow an executable to be run with
>>> Owner's (even Root's) permissions by another user.
>>> I am using a Vista program SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) that requires
>>> Administrative privileges (to monitor some system parameters, like
>>> temperature). I would like non-Administrative users to be able to run
>>> this program with these privileges. I've looked at NTFS permissions but
>>> cannot recognize anything that'll help. How can I do same in NTFS/Vista?

rvc

Re: A non-Administrative User to run program with Administrative previlidges

I have a similar problem. I have a Delphi program that makes a call to
Set8087CW to disable the FPU exception. I now have a user that has
moved the software over to Vista and he is able to run it by setting the
run as adminstrator to true. The problem is when the program is moved
to a network where the user doesn't have administrative privileges the
program won't run as the Set8087CW call requires the privilege. Is the
only way to get around this problem to take the code requiring the
privilege and creating a service? If so are there any good references
for this (Visual C++).

Thanks.

--
rvc