"Access Denied" File Read Only won't stay cleared.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

john stuart

"Access Denied" File Read Only won't stay cleared.
I have an application installed on the C: drive, but Vista is on H: drive.
The application on C:, was installled from Vista, and runs without problems,
except for one. Specifically, the app updates the data it uses via Internet
download, then runs an update .exe locally. When I try to apply the updates,
the updater app stops with a "Access Denied" error, showing the path to the
file with the read only access set. I cleared the read only setting, to allow
write access, but the update access denied error persists, when I check the
file access status, it is set read only again. I cleared the Read Only
security setting for the C: drive from the root directory including all files
and subfolders. but the problem with the Read Only setting being reset
continues.
How can I determine why or what is resetting the file attribute Read Only,
even after taking ownership of the file, and setting all permissions to allow
full admin rights then clearing the Read Only attribute, continues to be
reset Read Only?
AFAIK, I have configured the C: drive attributes for full admin rights from
my Vista administrator account, without success. What am I missing? The error
does not involve UAC, as that is disabled in Vista.
Kerry Brown

Re: "Access Denied" File Read Only won't stay cleared.
Read only is ignored at the folder level. It is probably an NTFS permissions
problem not an attribute problem. Is the actual file showing up as read only
in it's properties? Disabling UAC actually exacerbates these types of
problems. With UAC disabled you may not be able to set NTFS permissions from
Windows Explorer. It fails silently. With UAC on you are prompted a couple
of times during the process and the permissions are changed. Try enabling
UAC then set the NTFS permissions on that file. Alternatively you can use
the icacls command from a command prompt.
--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User