Delete .exe files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

jaungyde

Delete .exe files
I have downloaded a program and when I try to delete the EXE file, I get the
answer; that I’ am not allowed to do this.
I’ am single user and administrator of my computer.
I have disabled User account control.
I have changed the ovnership of the file and I already have full
access/privileges to the file.
I can rename and move the file, but I can’t delete the file.
Is there any easy way to disable this security? Or how can I delete my files?
Jesper

RE: Delete .exe files
What is the exact message you are getting?

---

"jaungyde" wrote:

> I have downloaded a program and when I try to delete the EXE file, I get the
> answer; that I’ am not allowed to do this.
> I’ am single user and administrator of my computer.
> I have disabled User account control.
> I have changed the ovnership of the file and I already have full
> access/privileges to the file.
> I can rename and move the file, but I can’t delete the file.
> Is there any easy way to disable this security? Or how can I delete my files?

jaungyde

RE: Delete .exe files
Translated from Danish, the message is something like: Access to destination
folder was refused. You must have permission to do this.

"Jesper" wrote:
> What is the exact message you are getting?

>"jaungyde" wrote:
> > I have downloaded a program and when I try to delete the EXE file, I get the
> > answer; that I’ am not allowed to do this.
> > I’ am single user and administrator of my computer.
> > I have disabled User account control.
> > I have changed the ovnership of the file and I already have full
> > access/privileges to the file.
> > I can rename and move the file, but I can’t delete the file.
> > Is there any easy way to disable this security? Or how can I delete my files?

Jesper

RE: Delete .exe files
Maybe it would be easier if you gave it to me in Danish. :-)

There should only be three possible messages you can get. In English, they
are:
* You must give permission to complete this action - This is a UAC message
and indicates that only administrators can take this action. In this case
there is a Continue button with a shield on it and you can click that to give
permission.
permissions on the file do not permit you to delete it. If this is what you
see right-click the file, select properties, click the Security tab (assuming
you are using a SKU that shows it to you), and grant yourself permission. If
you are an administrator you can do that.
* The file <somefile> could not be deleted because it is locked or in use -
In this case something is holding the file open and you cannot delete it
while it is open. The simplest fix is usually to reboot the computer. As long
as the program does not launch on boot this will release the lock and you can
delete the file. There are other methods as well, but they require more
tools.

Does your message fall into one of those categories?

---

"jaungyde" wrote:

> Translated from Danish, the message is something like: Access to destination
> folder was refused. You must have permission to do this.
>
> "Jesper" wrote:
> > What is the exact message you are getting?

> >"jaungyde" wrote:
> > > I have downloaded a program and when I try to delete the EXE file, I get the
> > > answer; that I’ am not allowed to do this.
> > > I’ am single user and administrator of my computer.
> > > I have disabled User account control.
> > > I have changed the ovnership of the file and I already have full
> > > access/privileges to the file.
> > > I can rename and move the file, but I can’t delete the file.
> > > Is there any easy way to disable this security? Or how can I delete my files?

jaungyde

RE: Delete .exe files
If it somehow helps You, the Danish text is: Adgang til destinationsmappe
blev nægtet. Du skal have tilladelse til at udføre denne handling.
The message is similar to: “You do not have permission to…”. But I already
have changed the ownership and all permissions: Full control, Changing,
Reading, Delete and all others, are check marked in the “allowed” field.
I have also tried to start in safe mode, but somehow the computer reboots
before windows is finished with starting up, in safe mode, so this is somehow
impossible and this is the next problem I must solve.
I’m running Vista Business preinstalled on a Hewlett-Packard computer and
all MS updates are installed.

"Jesper" wrote:

> Maybe it would be easier if you gave it to me in Danish. :-)
>
> There should only be three possible messages you can get. In English, they
> are:
> * You must give permission to complete this action - This is a UAC message
> and indicates that only administrators can take this action. In this case
> there is a Continue button with a shield on it and you can click that to give
> permission.
> permissions on the file do not permit you to delete it. If this is what you
> see right-click the file, select properties, click the Security tab (assuming
> you are using a SKU that shows it to you), and grant yourself permission. If
> you are an administrator you can do that.
> * The file <somefile> could not be deleted because it is locked or in use -
> In this case something is holding the file open and you cannot delete it
> while it is open. The simplest fix is usually to reboot the computer. As long
> as the program does not launch on boot this will release the lock and you can
> delete the file. There are other methods as well, but they require more
> tools.
>
> Does your message fall into one of those categories?
>

> "jaungyde" wrote:
>
> > Translated from Danish, the message is something like: Access to destination
> > folder was refused. You must have permission to do this.
> >
> > "Jesper" wrote:
> > > What is the exact message you are getting?

Jesper

RE: Delete .exe files
OK, that seems like the standard access denied message. It is the second
thing I mentioned.

Can you open a command prompt and type:
icacls <full path of file>

Then take the output from that command and copy and paste it into a response
post.

---

"jaungyde" wrote:

> If it somehow helps You, the Danish text is: Adgang til destinationsmappe
> blev nægtet. Du skal have tilladelse til at udføre denne handling.
> The message is similar to: “You do not have permission to…”. But I already
> have changed the ownership and all permissions: Full control, Changing,
> Reading, Delete and all others, are check marked in the “allowed” field.
> I have also tried to start in safe mode, but somehow the computer reboots
> before windows is finished with starting up, in safe mode, so this is somehow
> impossible and this is the next problem I must solve.
> I’m running Vista Business preinstalled on a Hewlett-Packard computer and
> all MS updates are installed.
>

> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > Maybe it would be easier if you gave it to me in Danish. :-)
> >
> > There should only be three possible messages you can get. In English, they
> > are:
> > * You must give permission to complete this action - This is a UAC message
> > and indicates that only administrators can take this action. In this case
> > there is a Continue button with a shield on it and you can click that to give
> > permission.
> > permissions on the file do not permit you to delete it. If this is what you
> > see right-click the file, select properties, click the Security tab (assuming
> > you are using a SKU that shows it to you), and grant yourself permission. If
> > you are an administrator you can do that.
> > * The file <somefile> could not be deleted because it is locked or in use -
> > In this case something is holding the file open and you cannot delete it
> > while it is open. The simplest fix is usually to reboot the computer. As long
> > as the program does not launch on boot this will release the lock and you can
> > delete the file. There are other methods as well, but they require more
> > tools.
> >
> > Does your message fall into one of those categories?
> >

> > "jaungyde" wrote:
> >
> > > Translated from Danish, the message is something like: Access to destination
> > > folder was refused. You must have permission to do this.

jaungyde

RE: Delete .exe files
OK. I typed:
Icacls c:\cant_delete.exe
And output:
c:\cant_delete.exe Alle (I)(F)
“Alle” is the Danish word for: “All users”
If I do the same with a word document, that I can delete, the output is the
same:
c:\word.docx Alle (I)(F)

"Jesper" wrote:

> OK, that seems like the standard access denied message. It is the second
> thing I mentioned.
>
> Can you open a command prompt and type:
> icacls <full path of file>
>
> Then take the output from that command and copy and paste it into a response
> post.
>
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "jaungyde" wrote:
>
> > If it somehow helps You, the Danish text is: Adgang til destinationsmappe
> > blev nægtet. Du skal have tilladelse til at udføre denne handling.
> > The message is similar to: “You do not have permission to…”. But I already
> > have changed the ownership and all permissions: Full control, Changing,
> > Reading, Delete and all others, are check marked in the “allowed” field.
> > I have also tried to start in safe mode, but somehow the computer reboots
> > before windows is finished with starting up, in safe mode, so this is somehow
> > impossible and this is the next problem I must solve.
> > I’m running Vista Business preinstalled on a Hewlett-Packard computer and
> > all MS updates are installed.
> >

> > "Jesper" wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe it would be easier if you gave it to me in Danish. :-)
> > >
> > > There should only be three possible messages you can get. In English, they
> > > are:
> > > * You must give permission to complete this action - This is a UAC message
> > > and indicates that only administrators can take this action. In this case
> > > there is a Continue button with a shield on it and you can click that to give
> > > permission.
> > > permissions on the file do not permit you to delete it. If this is what you
> > > see right-click the file, select properties, click the Security tab (assuming
> > > you are using a SKU that shows it to you), and grant yourself permission. If
> > > you are an administrator you can do that.
> > > * The file <somefile> could not be deleted because it is locked or in use -
> > > In this case something is holding the file open and you cannot delete it
> > > while it is open. The simplest fix is usually to reboot the computer. As long
> > > as the program does not launch on boot this will release the lock and you can
> > > delete the file. There are other methods as well, but they require more
> > > tools.
> > >
> > > Does your message fall into one of those categories?

Jesper

RE: Delete .exe files
It can't possibly say
c:\cant_delete.exe Alle (I)(F)

The (I) means that the Alle ACE is inherited from C:\. The only way that
could happen is if you have modified the propagating permissions on C:\. If
you have done that your system is completely and irrevokably broken and the
only supported way to fix it is to reformat and reinstall (see KB 885409 for
more details).

More than likely what is happening is that the integrity label is getting in
the way. I can't tell for sure though because you truncated the output
without telling me what the label is. To change it, run this command from an
elevated command prompt:
icacls cant_delete.exe /setintegritylevel L

I'm just hoping you have not completely destroyed the ACLs on the system.
---

"jaungyde" wrote:

> OK. I typed:
> Icacls c:\cant_delete.exe
> And output:
> c:\cant_delete.exe Alle (I)(F)
> “Alle” is the Danish word for: “All users”
> If I do the same with a word document, that I can delete, the output is the
> same:
> c:\word.docx Alle (I)(F)
>

> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > OK, that seems like the standard access denied message. It is the second
> > thing I mentioned.
> >
> > Can you open a command prompt and type:
> > icacls <full path of file>
> >
> > Then take the output from that command and copy and paste it into a response
> > post.
> >
> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >

> > "jaungyde" wrote:
> >
> > > If it somehow helps You, the Danish text is: Adgang til destinationsmappe
> > > blev nægtet. Du skal have tilladelse til at udføre denne handling.
> > > The message is similar to: “You do not have permission to…”. But I already
> > > have changed the ownership and all permissions: Full control, Changing,
> > > Reading, Delete and all others, are check marked in the “allowed” field.
> > > I have also tried to start in safe mode, but somehow the computer reboots
> > > before windows is finished with starting up, in safe mode, so this is somehow
> > > impossible and this is the next problem I must solve.
> > > I’m running Vista Business preinstalled on a Hewlett-Packard computer and
> > > all MS updates are installed.

jaungyde

RE: Delete .exe files
First: somehow the Admin user and my own user account were removed from the
list of users for this file.
So I added the users and typed: icacls c:\cant_delete.exe
And system respond: c:\cant_delete.exe BUILTIN\AdministratorerF)
MyPC\JaungydeF)
AlleI)(F)
I reboot my computer, but still I can’t delete my file.

Then as you wrote, I typed: icacls cant_delete.exe /setintegritylevel L
And system respond: c:\cant_delete.exe BUILTIN\AdministratorerF)
MyPC\JaungydeF)
AlleI)(F)
Obligatorisk navn\Lavt Obligatorisk niveauNW)

(Translated from Danish: obligatory name\ low obligatory level)
I reboot my computer, but still I can’t delete my file.

Note: until now, UAC was disabled. I disabled it, because I wanted to delete
another .EXE file, and by disable the UAC I was able to delete the file.

So now I Enabled UAC and the file could be deleted.

So I thought: this is the way to do it with the 3 other copy’s, I have made
of the file.
So I run the “icacls” on all 3 files, so they are identical with the first
file and I reboots my computer, I enable UAC, I disable UAC, I enable UAC,
but these copy’s I still can’t delete. I don’t get it?

"Jesper" wrote:

> It can't possibly say
> c:\cant_delete.exe Alle (I)(F)
>
> The (I) means that the Alle ACE is inherited from C:\. The only way that
> could happen is if you have modified the propagating permissions on C:\. If
> you have done that your system is completely and irrevokably broken and the
> only supported way to fix it is to reformat and reinstall (see KB 885409 for
> more details).
>
> More than likely what is happening is that the integrity label is getting in
> the way. I can't tell for sure though because you truncated the output
> without telling me what the label is. To change it, run this command from an
> elevated command prompt:
> icacls cant_delete.exe /setintegritylevel L
>
> I'm just hoping you have not completely destroyed the ACLs on the system.
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "jaungyde" wrote:
>
> > OK. I typed:
> > Icacls c:\cant_delete.exe
> > And output:
> > c:\cant_delete.exe Alle (I)(F)
> > “Alle” is the Danish word for: “All users”
> > If I do the same with a word document, that I can delete, the output is the
> > same:
> > c:\word.docx Alle (I)(F)
> >

> > "Jesper" wrote:
> >
> > > OK, that seems like the standard access denied message. It is the second
> > > thing I mentioned.
> > >
> > > Can you open a command prompt and type:
> > > icacls <full path of file>
> > >
> > > Then take the output from that command and copy and paste it into a response
> > > post.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20

dzomlija

Re: Delete .exe files

From reading your original post, and the responses you have received,
it's sounds to me like the file does not want to be deleted. And that
can mean only one thing: Malware.

Its a common technique for a virus/malware program to lock itself when
executed sothat nothing and no one can delete it, and also to monitor
the registry so that it cannot be removed from startup. It strengthens
the argument for malware if you cannot boot into Safe Mode, but can boot
normally. I've seen malware programs that put themselves into the boot
process as a SERVICE_BOOT_START driver/service, in order to prevent a
safe mode boot because safe mode is usually the first place to go to
safely remove malware.

You need to update your virus scanner and run a full scan, assuming
that whatever it is has not killed your AV also. If possible, remove
your hard disk, slave it to another computer, and run a full virus scan
that way.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)