Help - keep getting "Critical System Warning" popup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

TeddieMao

Help - keep getting "Critical System Warning" popup
Somehow, stupidly I clicked on something I shouldn't have and now I keep
getting a popup that says
"Critical System Warning" Your system is probably infected with latest
version of Trojan.Zlbox.a............"
I've ran Norton, AdAware and AVG and nothing works. Anys suggestions?

I am running Windows Vista on HP dv6000 laptop.
Malke

Re: Help - keep getting "Critical System Warning" popup
TeddieMao wrote:
> Somehow, stupidly I clicked on something I shouldn't have and now I keep
> getting a popup that says
> "Critical System Warning" Your system is probably infected with latest
> version of Trojan.Zlbox.a............"
> I've ran Norton, AdAware and AVG and nothing works. Anys suggestions?
>
> I am running Windows Vista on HP dv6000 laptop.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to
do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
- download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that
worry you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and
you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool".
You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download
Multi_AV.

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may
be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all
your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
pranksta

Re: Help - keep getting "Critical System Warning" popup

"Critical System Warning" is one of the fake System Alert popups
warnings. These warnings lead user to malicious software download page.
Actually "System Alert" popups are generated by a trojan.

--
pranksta
pranksta's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39084

http://forums.techarena.in