norton security

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

norton security

when we first bought our computer the person who helped us with installing
the wireless suggested we get rid of norton security as in his experience it
often caused trouble by blocking internet access. He thought that we did not
need it. In the meantime, it is still not totaly taken off as a window always
pops up when turning on the computer prompting us to complete installation by
clicking next. This is getting on our nerves but we are afraid to meddle with
it. What should we do? Turn it back on or get rid of the window and how?
Charlie42

Re: norton security

"norton security" <norton security@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> when we first bought our computer the person who helped us with installing
> the wireless suggested we get rid of norton security as in his experience
> it
> often caused trouble by blocking internet access. He thought that we did
> not
> need it.

It's correct that you don't have use Norton specifically, but you do have to
run an anti-virus program on your computer. I hope your guy knew to tell you
that, if not you've been given some really cr***y advice.

You will find that many posters in this newsgroup frown upon Norton
products, mostly because of their massive use of computer resources
(bloatware, hog... it has many names). Security software may cause
connection problems in a few cases, but this is something that can usually
be corrected by tweaking their settings or resolving conflicts with other
software.

Also, remember to check if your wireless router's firewall is enabled (if it
has one), and is encrypted.

> In the meantime, it is still not totaly taken off as a window always
> pops up when turning on the computer prompting us to complete installation
> by
> clicking next. This is getting on our nerves but we are afraid to meddle
> with
> it. What should we do? Turn it back on or get rid of the window and how?

Norton products are a pain to get rid of. Symantec offers a removal tool,
but you may find that even their own tool can't clean up completely:

Charlie42

Kayman

Re: norton security
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:11:02 -0800, norton security wrote:

> when we first bought our computer the person who helped us with installing
> the wireless suggested we get rid of norton security as in his experience it
> often caused trouble by blocking internet access. He thought that we did not
> need it. In the meantime, it is still not totaly taken off as a window always
> pops up when turning on the computer prompting us to complete installation by
> clicking next. This is getting on our nerves but we are afraid to meddle with
> it. What should we do? Turn it back on or get rid of the window and how?

As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
proceeding.
Or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to
go to:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
and download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of
NIS breakes the networking components in XP to the point where internet
access is impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Good luck