system restore error!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

PleaseHelp!

system restore error!!
I have been trying to run a system restore ever since i've been getting a
strange pop up on every browser about my computer being infected with some
spyware. (virus scans have NOT helped). My computer gives me an error "system
restore did not complete successfully - unspecific error occured during
system restore. I have been able to choose a restore time after my original
problem has began but keep getting an error if i try to choose a restore time
thats before the problem started.
Malke

Re: system restore error!!
PleaseHelp! wrote:
> I have been trying to run a system restore ever since i've been getting a
> strange pop up on every browser about my computer being infected with some
> spyware. (virus scans have NOT helped). My computer gives me an error "system
> restore did not complete successfully - unspecific error occured during
> system restore. I have been able to choose a restore time after my original
> problem has began but keep getting an error if i try to choose a restore time
> thats before the problem started.

You will need to clean up your computer first. It's infected with
(probably) some variant of Vundo. Because you didn't tell us the name of
the rogue program giving you the message I can't point you to specific
removal steps. Here are general removal steps:

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to
do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
- download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that
worry you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and
you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool".
You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download
Multi_AV.

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may
be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all
your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Ray

Re: system restore error!!
=?Utf-8?B?UGxlYXNlSGVscCE=?= <PleaseHelp!@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I have been trying to run a system restore ever since i've been
> getting a strange pop up on every browser about my computer being
> infected with some spyware. (virus scans have NOT helped). My
> computer gives me an error "system restore did not complete
> successfully - unspecific error occured during system restore. I
> have been able to choose a restore time after my original problem
> has began but keep getting an error if i try to choose a restore
> time thats before the problem started.

I had the same error message trying to do a system restore. A bit of
Googling found a suggestion to run the restore from safe mode. That
worked for me.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)