Access denied as Administrator

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Al

Access denied as Administrator
New to Vista (Ultimate). Why, when I'm logged in as Administrator, are there
folders on the disk that produce an "Access denied" error when I try to
browse them? I thought the purpose of the Administrator account was to
provide full and complete access to the computer including any folder/file on
the disk regardless of creator/owner status. This is new (and very annoying)
behavior since XP Pro. What settings need to be tweaked?

TIA.
Jimmy Brush

Re: Access denied as Administrator
Hello,

You are most likely talking about the Vista application compatability
"junctions" - they look like shortcuts to folders, with a shortcut arrow and
a dimmed/ghosted folder icon. For example, "My Documents", "My Pictures",
"Documents and Settings".

These are not really folders, but pointers to other locations on your
computer that some apps need to use under certain scenarios. For example,
Documents and Settings points to the Users folder.

You can't browse into these junctions. The reasoning isn't to lock you out,
but to keep applications from thinking these are real folders and getting
confused.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Vista (Ultimate). Why, when I'm logged in as Administrator, are
> there
> folders on the disk that produce an "Access denied" error when I try to
> browse them? I thought the purpose of the Administrator account was to
> provide full and complete access to the computer including any folder/file
> on
> the disk regardless of creator/owner status. This is new (and very
> annoying)
> behavior since XP Pro. What settings need to be tweaked?
>
> TIA.

Scott Hauge

Re: Access denied as Administrator
I THINK my friend that posted this original question was SPEAKING of SYSTEM
files and folders, e.g., ACCESS DENIED when trying to stop INDEXING, trying
to defragment or even SCAN for VIRUSES (!) in system folders, etc. WHAT is
the POINT of being an administrator if you cannot take OWNERSHIP of QUITE A
BIT of territory? I don't want or need the old "it's to protect files and
you, etc., response", those of us that KNOW what we are doing want to be able
to access EVERY FILE ON OUR PCs! This is, as I have said before, like a BETA
TEST....I'm constantly searching the Internet for "tweaks" and solutions that
Microsoft SHOULD have already addressed. Thanks for another bloated OS that
is pretty and all, but this is it for Windows.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You are most likely talking about the Vista application compatability
> "junctions" - they look like shortcuts to folders, with a shortcut arrow and
> a dimmed/ghosted folder icon. For example, "My Documents", "My Pictures",
> "Documents and Settings".
>
> These are not really folders, but pointers to other locations on your
> computer that some apps need to use under certain scenarios. For example,
> Documents and Settings points to the Users folder.
>
> You can't browse into these junctions. The reasoning isn't to lock you out,
> but to keep applications from thinking these are real folders and getting
> confused.
>
> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > New to Vista (Ultimate). Why, when I'm logged in as Administrator, are
> > there
> > folders on the disk that produce an "Access denied" error when I try to
> > browse them? I thought the purpose of the Administrator account was to
> > provide full and complete access to the computer including any folder/file
> > on
> > the disk regardless of creator/owner status. This is new (and very
> > annoying)
> > behavior since XP Pro. What settings need to be tweaked?
> >
> > TIA.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Access denied as Administrator
Hello,

There is nothing stopping you from doing those things.

- JB
Scott Hauge

Re: Access denied as Administrator
Then please tell me WHY I get "access denied" messages almost CONSTANTLY when
trying to scan for viruses and spyware and why I cannot access some files and
folders when defragging? Why does SYSTEM RESTORE not allow me to create
restore points any longer? Why did my GROUP POLICY change somehow, limiting
my access to things I did before, and still should be able to do? Your
answer is of no help whatsoever; please TELL ME how I can do these things
from where you are....I am not able to do them HERE. I am just about ready
to yank Vista from this machine and revert to XP Pro..or better yet, perhaps
now's the time to go back to Mac. Offer some ASSISTANCE, and not a trite
"you can do those things"....why am I limited by YOUR OS?? As a MVP, you
MUST have a better answer than what you just gave me.....

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There is nothing stopping you from doing those things.
>
> - JB

Scott Hauge

Re: Access denied as Administrator
No, there IS something preventing me from doing these things. YOUR role is
to tell me WHY I CANNOT do these things.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There is nothing stopping you from doing those things.
>
> - JB

Dave T.

Scott Hauge wrote:
> No, there IS something preventing me from doing these things. YOUR role is
> to tell me WHY I CANNOT do these things.
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> There is nothing stopping you from doing those things.
>>
>> - JB

Hello Scott,

None of my business, but someone needs to inform you that the MVP's that
you meet here are NOT Microsoft employees. They VOLUNTEER they're time
and expertise to try to help people. When someone gets in they're face
like they're not doing they're job, well, let me just say that if it
were me I'd hang up.

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Scott Hauge

Re: Access denied as Administrator
Thanks for the tip. I was aware of that fact. It's a kind of arrogance I am
used to dealing with both Microsoft and some of the "experts"...you say there
is a problem, they tell you "there is no problem"...no help WHATsoever. This
guy really is "arrogance on parade"....at least his "helpfulness rating" is
going down with each reply. It makes you think that if people like HIM were
helping to develop Vista, then you can understand why it's so messed up. I'm
outta here.

"Dave T." wrote:

> Scott Hauge wrote:
> > No, there IS something preventing me from doing these things. YOUR role is
> > to tell me WHY I CANNOT do these things.
> >
> > "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> There is nothing stopping you from doing those things.
> >>
> >> - JB

> Hello Scott,
>
> None of my business, but someone needs to inform you that the MVP's that
> you meet here are NOT Microsoft employees. They VOLUNTEER they're time
> and expertise to try to help people. When someone gets in they're face
> like they're not doing they're job, well, let me just say that if it
> were me I'd hang up.
>
> --
> Dave T.
>
> I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Access denied as Administrator
<snips>
> Then please tell me WHY I get "access denied" messages almost CONSTANTLY
> when
> trying to scan for viruses and spyware and why I cannot access some files
> and
> folders when defragging?

Sounds like a problem with your virus scanner/defrag utility. Are you sure
it is vista compatible? Are you using the built-in vista defragger? This may
be unrelated to any other issues you may be having, as any vista-compatible
virus scanner would not be running under your user account.

> Why does SYSTEM RESTORE not allow me to create
> restore points any longer?

Based on the information you provided, I don't know.

> Why did my GROUP POLICY change somehow, limiting
> my access to things I did before, and still should be able to do?

What makes you think group policy settings were changed? What did you do
before that you can't do now, ignoring the virus/defrag issues?

> Your
> answer is of no help whatsoever;

Based on the information you provided, that was the best answer. Everything
you mentioned as not being able to do is doable in Vista. As you say, I can
do those things HERE. On Vista. So vista in general is not the problem.
Perhaps if you clarify your issues with some details other than "why can't i
do stuff", someone would be able to provide you a better answer.

<snip>

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Al

Re: Access denied as Administrator
Thanks, Jimmy, I had already discovered some information regarding this,
however, I'm still curious as to why I don't get full access to the \USERS
folder, for example. If this is the location that \Documents and Settings now
points to, and XP gave unfettered access to these folders, why do I still
have trouble viewing files in some of the \USERS subfolders? Where can I find
complete documentation of this major change in OS security behavior. The
Vista Help and Support is woefully lacking in providing Admin-type
information about this sort of stuff and having to Google (excuse me, Live
Search??) for information is pretty silly.

Al