User account controls

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Larry S.

User account controls
I find that when I turn on User Account Controls, it keeps blocking my Palm
HotSync. Although I can unblock it, it is a pain to have to redo this each
time, and if I forget, then when I try to sync it won't work, and I have to
then unblock this program and start the sync over, a nuisance. How can I
inform the account controls program that this is a safe program, and should
not be blocked?

I have also noticed that since replacing my motherboard this weekend (with
the exact same model that had been in previously), my VersaCheck Gold 2008
refuses to work with the user account controls on. I get a message that the
program is either in use or I don't have permission. Since I log in as
administrator, this is quite frustrating. I have to turn account controls
off and reboot in order to print checks (through Quicken), or access the
program directly.

Any help on taming the User Account Controls so that I can make use of it
without this kind of frustration will be appreciated. At the moment, I find
myself keeping it off so I don't have to deal with these headaches.
--
Larry S
JDa™©

Re: User account controls
Larry S., did transcribed the following::
> I find that when I turn on User Account Controls, it keeps blocking my Palm
> HotSync. Although I can unblock it, it is a pain to have to redo this each
> time, and if I forget, then when I try to sync it won't work, and I have to
> then unblock this program and start the sync over, a nuisance. How can I
> inform the account controls program that this is a safe program, and should
> not be blocked?
>
> I have also noticed that since replacing my motherboard this weekend (with
> the exact same model that had been in previously), my VersaCheck Gold 2008
> refuses to work with the user account controls on. I get a message that the
> program is either in use or I don't have permission. Since I log in as
> administrator, this is quite frustrating. I have to turn account controls
> off and reboot in order to print checks (through Quicken), or access the
> program directly.
>
> Any help on taming the User Account Controls so that I can make use of it
> without this kind of frustration will be appreciated. At the moment, I find
> myself keeping it off so I don't have to deal with these headaches.

Its been a while since I converted from XP to Vista, but when I copied
all my XP Palm software to my new Vista PC, I put everything I used in
the same directory structure that was on my XP machine. I had to do
two things, 1st I had to set some pointer to the correct work/archive
directory, and run Hotsysnc and set a new Comm port for the USB cable
to connect to my Palm T|X. *Do not* set Hotsync to run as Administrator.
I'm pretty certain thats all I had to reset.

Are you running Hotsync from: C:\Program Files\Palm\ or C:\Palm

I believe, but am not sure, that the problem is the permissions that
are set (and have to be that way) on the "Program Files" directory,
that is if you are running from the PF directory.