Can't download exe

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

joemast2007

Can't download exe
I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the download
if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box. I
do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea what
I can do to fix this problem?
--
joemast2007
Richard Urban

Re: Can't download exe
What program are you using to download the .exe file. Where are you
downloading it from. DETAILS please. Maybe others could check to see if
"they" can download it. If they can't you likely can't either.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"joemast2007" <joemast_at_polaris_dot_net> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
> download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
> concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the
> download
> if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box.
> do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea
> what
> I can do to fix this problem?
> --
> joemast2007

joemast2007

Re: Can't download exe
I'm using IE7 to try to download an intelligent updater file
(20071112-017-i32.exe) from from Symantec.com. This is a new problem which
I'm thinking may be related to a new security patch for Microsioft mail that
auto-updated from Microsoft on 10/11. The file completely downloads and is
copying to my desktop when the download is interupted with a Windows Security
Warning: Windows has found this file to be potentially harmful. To help
protect your computer, Windows has denied access to this file.

The details refer to Windows mail and gives instructions about allowing
access to exe attachments by clearing a checkbox in Windows mail security.
I've followed the instructions but the problem persists.

--
joemast2007

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> What program are you using to download the .exe file. Where are you
> downloading it from. DETAILS please. Maybe others could check to see if
> "they" can download it. If they can't you likely can't either.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "joemast2007" <joemast_at_polaris_dot_net> wrote in message
> > I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
> > download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
> > concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the
> > download
> > if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box.
> > do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea
> > what
> > I can do to fix this problem?
> > --
> > joemast2007

Red

RE: Can't download exe

Hiya,
I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files.

I find this incredibly annoying and amusing since the 2x .exe programmes it
has blocked access to are:-

Microsoft office 2007 ultimate trial
Microsoft office Accounting Pro trial

Anychance we can get to know where the settings are that stop the os
blocking downloads of .exe files

The help centre's just state how to get mail to stop doing it and not the os.

I would of thought that vista would block microsoft own programmes tho

Thanks,
Jon

"joemast2007" wrote:

> I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
> download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
> concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the download
> if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box. I
> do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea what
> I can do to fix this problem?
> --
> joemast2007

Red

RE: Can't download exe
i meant i would of thought vista, WOULDNT block access to microsoft
programmes

Its definately an os thing and i would of thought that it was obvious why
its deliberately blocking .exe files..... just a shame the help doesnt tell
you where to fix this.... i couldnt find it in folder properties... either, i
shall carry on looking

"Red" wrote:

> Hiya,
> I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files.
>
> I find this incredibly annoying and amusing since the 2x .exe programmes it
> has blocked access to are:-
>
> Microsoft office 2007 ultimate trial
> Microsoft office Accounting Pro trial
>
> Anychance we can get to know where the settings are that stop the os
> blocking downloads of .exe files
>
> The help centre's just state how to get mail to stop doing it and not the os.
>
> I would of thought that vista would block microsoft own programmes tho
>
> Thanks,
> Jon
>

> "joemast2007" wrote:
>
> > I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
> > download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
> > concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the download
> > if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box. I
> > do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea what
> > I can do to fix this problem?
> > --
> > joemast2007

Red

RE: Can't download exe
It isnt windows Defender either, so im stumped??

Please help us fix this

"Red" wrote:

> i meant i would of thought vista, WOULDNT block access to microsoft
> programmes
>
> Its definately an os thing and i would of thought that it was obvious why
> its deliberately blocking .exe files..... just a shame the help doesnt tell
> you where to fix this.... i couldnt find it in folder properties... either, i
> shall carry on looking
>
> "Red" wrote:
>

> > Hiya,
> > I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files.
> >
> > I find this incredibly annoying and amusing since the 2x .exe programmes it
> > has blocked access to are:-
> >
> > Microsoft office 2007 ultimate trial
> > Microsoft office Accounting Pro trial
> >
> > Anychance we can get to know where the settings are that stop the os
> > blocking downloads of .exe files
> >
> > The help centre's just state how to get mail to stop doing it and not the os.
> >
> > I would of thought that vista would block microsoft own programmes tho
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
> >

> > "joemast2007" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
> > > download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
> > > concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the download
> > > if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box. I
> > > do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea what
> > > I can do to fix this problem?
> > > --
> > > joemast2007

Red

RE: Can't download exe
Microsofts customer support Sucks Officially!!!
I have just had 3 phone calls with the states (From the UK) which has cost
me over $40

For the last person to tell me that you wont help me because it is a trial
product

I even spoke to a manager who was far from helpfull!! all the differnt
departments wanted to do was blame one another, then ask me to call toshiba
who pre-installed my os, and none of the accounting professional team could
help me install it, cos it was an os issue and passed me onto the customer
service line again, where they wanted me to spent $59.99 on top of the
already $40 i had just spent!!!!!!!

I am a very annoyed customer!!!!

Please can you tell me how to let the MICROSOFT VISTA OPERATING SYSTEM
run downloaded MICROSOFT PROGRAMMES!!!

And who do i need to forward this total lack of customer service onto, so
that they can try and sort it!!

Sorry for ranting.

Jon

"Red" wrote:

> i meant i would of thought vista, WOULDNT block access to microsoft
> programmes
>
> Its definately an os thing and i would of thought that it was obvious why
> its deliberately blocking .exe files..... just a shame the help doesnt tell
> you where to fix this.... i couldnt find it in folder properties... either, i
> shall carry on looking
>
> "Red" wrote:
>

> > Hiya,
> > I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files.
> >
> > I find this incredibly annoying and amusing since the 2x .exe programmes it
> > has blocked access to are:-
> >
> > Microsoft office 2007 ultimate trial
> > Microsoft office Accounting Pro trial
> >
> > Anychance we can get to know where the settings are that stop the os
> > blocking downloads of .exe files
> >
> > The help centre's just state how to get mail to stop doing it and not the os.
> >
> > I would of thought that vista would block microsoft own programmes tho
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
> >

> > "joemast2007" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running Vista Home Premium. When I try to download an exe file, the
> > > download is blocked and I get a message saying it's because of security
> > > concerns. When I click for more info, it tells me I can allow the download
> > > if I go to Microsoft Mail ( a program I don't use) and clear a check box. I
> > > do this but I still can't make the downloads. Does anyone have any idea what
> > > I can do to fix this problem?
> > > --
> > > joemast2007

Red

RE: Can't download exe
/ friendly bump

"Red" wrote:

> Microsofts customer support Sucks Officially!!!
> I have just had 3 phone calls with the states (From the UK) which has cost
> me over $40
>
> For the last person to tell me that you wont help me because it is a trial
> product
>
> I even spoke to a manager who was far from helpfull!! all the differnt
> departments wanted to do was blame one another, then ask me to call toshiba
> who pre-installed my os, and none of the accounting professional team could
> help me install it, cos it was an os issue and passed me onto the customer
> service line again, where they wanted me to spent $59.99 on top of the
> already $40 i had just spent!!!!!!!
>
> I am a very annoyed customer!!!!
>
> Please can you tell me how to let the MICROSOFT VISTA OPERATING SYSTEM
> run downloaded MICROSOFT PROGRAMMES!!!
>
> And who do i need to forward this total lack of customer service onto, so
> that they can try and sort it!!
>
> Sorry for ranting.
>
> Jon
>
> "Red" wrote:
>
> > i meant i would of thought vista, WOULDNT block access to microsoft
> > programmes
> >
> > Its definately an os thing and i would of thought that it was obvious why
> > its deliberately blocking .exe files..... just a shame the help doesnt tell
> > you where to fix this.... i couldnt find it in folder properties... either, i
> > shall carry on looking
> >
> > "Red" wrote:
> >

> > > Hiya,
> > > I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files.
> > >
> > > I find this incredibly annoying and amusing since the 2x .exe programmes it
> > > has blocked access to are:-
> > >
> > > Microsoft office 2007 ultimate trial
> > > Microsoft office Accounting Pro trial
> > >
> > > Anychance we can get to know where the settings are that stop the os
> > > blocking downloads of .exe files
> > >
> > > The help centre's just state how to get mail to stop doing it and not the os.
> > >
> > > I would of thought that vista would block microsoft own programmes tho
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jon

Paul Adare

Re: Can't download exe
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:18:00 -0800, Red wrote:

> Hiya,
> I have vista ultimate and it too wont let me donwload .exe files.
>
> I find this incredibly annoying and amusing since the 2x .exe programmes it
> has blocked access to are:-
>
> Microsoft office 2007 ultimate trial
> Microsoft office Accounting Pro trial
>
> Anychance we can get to know where the settings are that stop the os
> blocking downloads of .exe files
>
> The help centre's just state how to get mail to stop doing it and not the os.
>
> I would of thought that vista would block microsoft own programmes tho

In the first place you need to have a little patience. This are peer
support forums and any responses you receive here are given by folks who
volunteer their time to help out. There's no need to bump your post when it
is less than a day old.

Secondly you're going to have to provide more detail before anyone can help
you. What is the _exact_ error message you're receiving? Exactly what steps
are you taking that lead up to this error message? Simply stating that
Vista "won't let me download .exe files" doesn't provide nearly enough
information for anyone to give you a reasonably helpful response.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
Red

Re: Can't download exe
Hi Paul,
Due to the timezone difference, this was bumped as it was the first thing i
did when i woke up this morning.

I wasnt aware that a microsoft.com forum was administrated by volunteers, I
thought it was staffed.

Thanks for coming back to me, i am sorry but i was still seething over my
support call yesterday, which i would still like to escalate as i feel i
recieved poor service.

I will re download one of the .exe's now and see what the exact error is, it
went something like, xxx blocked access to the potentially harmfull file
xxx.exe

this was downloading the office ultimate trial and the accounting pro trial.

Thanks for your attention on this. i just want to get my business machine
running again